Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT or uni?

Options
  • 30-07-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

could anybod please explain to me the difference between an insistute of technology and a university??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Figerty

It's hard to tell these days for a degree course. One major factor is that in the IOT's you have a lot of pracitcal hands on content in the course. In the Uni's there is a lot of academic learning. Some of the IOT degree course are more vocational in their approach, Uni's seem to be more general. There isn't nothing stopping you from transferring to an similar course form IOT to Uni or Uni to IOT during the four years.

Second, you will probably have lower points on average coming to and IOT, but this isn't a major factor. A good measure of courses, particulary Law and Taxation is the number of exemptions you will get in Professional exams afterwards (accountancy, teaching, taxation, marketing etc). Some IOT's get more exemptions than Uni courses, but not always. This is also a measure of the standards of the cours.

Thirdly, and importantly, in an IOT you will be taught for practically all the classes by a Lecturer, in the Univeristiy system, you will be taught for tutorials by Teaching assistants or Post grads (I'm thinking UL here). This also means you will be missed when you aren't there!

The IOT sector is a little more restrictive in that attendances records are taken and taken serisouly, Unis can be a bit more lax,,, if you don't turn up you it's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Transferring from an IOT to a uni usually means an extra year, i.e. if you finish 2nd year in an IOT a uni will probably offer to accept you into year 2 of an equivalent course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Figerty

Not necessarily, it will depend on the course. Obvioulsy anyone going down this route will need to check it out first.

Advertisement