Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP Beef Wellington

Options
  • 30-07-2011 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi all im cooking beef wellington(virgin first time) today for a dinner party well for 4, i have seen all the chefs cook it on Youtube so im ok in that sense, my problem is in that when they all cut it at the end the beef is still quite red inside which i or my guests dont like . So any tips how i can cook it longer to take this away, i cant cook it slower and longer as the puff pastry will rise too much i would imagine....help im nervous now ha ha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

come on folks there must be some budding masterchefs out there im going attempting this dish in the next few hours!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Any time I have made beef wellington I brown the meat before putting it into the pastry I would just cook it a bit longer at this stage if I wanted the meat more well done.

Hi do you mean sear it for longer is that what your saying...thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Yeah as the other poster said, sear it for longer and it should be less pink.

I was hoping to leave it in the oven a bit longer than all the chefs recommend and hopefully meat will cook more also, only problem with this is fecking puff pastry will blow up ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    I was hoping to leave it in the oven a bit longer than all the chefs recommend and hopefully meat will cook more also, only problem with this is fecking puff pastry will blow up ha ha

It will be fine if you cook it longer. You will only need about 20 mins more anyway. The pastry might brown a little more but it will only only make it crispier. Keep an eye on it and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

thatsmyboy wrote: »

pastry is more delicate - I'd definitely go with the searing it for longer.

Thanks everyone searing for longer is my way forward jasus i sound like brian cowan remember him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sear it, put the meat in the oven for 20 minutes to start cooking, cool slightly and wrap in the pastry as per recipe. Searing for longer won't be sufficient to change the meat through to the middle.

(This is assuming you are cooking a single piece of fillet for 4 people and not 4 individual portions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You could also wrap the fillet in cling film, very tightly, and poach for 10-15 mins (depending on thickness of fillet), unwrap, sear to colour, cool, then proceed as normal.

If your puff pastry if rolled thin and docked/pricked with a fork, it won't rise as much. And you can also remove the Wellington from the oven mid-way to glaze with egg-wash, as opposed to glazing from the start, to prevent over-browning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement