Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started

Options
  • 30-07-2011 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭

Alrighty... so I finally got around to installing an aftermarket cooler, replacing the stock cooler on the 1055t. Which did a good job, aircooling my machine to 32C on idle, but now with the Rocketfish CPU cooler I am achieving 19C idle. In July.

It's time to ****ing overclock this bitch.

So with the 1055t and the Motherboard in Mind, an ASUS M4A89GTD-Pro (and this RAM), where do I get started at? I considered just flipping the switch on Turbokey II and letting it have it's way with my system but I want to make sure I'm not being stupid. When I researched the parts for this build a year ago a lot of the reviewers said this chip could safely run on 4.0Ghz air-cooled, I just need to know how to get there. As for the RAM, the Board will support up to 1800Mhz (O.C.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So nobody knows anything about my build huh.

Looks like I'm wildly on my own. This should be fun :pac: .... assuming nothing melts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its a long time since I had a mess with an Amd board so I've no experience or voltage figures to give but generally what you do is loosen the ram timings and manually set the ram voltage to what they're rated for, then start adding to the fsb slowly until you get a fail, when this happens add a little more juice to the cpu and see it it allows it to pass. Be sure to monitor temps. When you get to an overclock you're happy with tighten timings and add a little juice to the ram.

I'll try that out.

After re-seating the CPU the other night for the cooler my RAM went to Mem'OK and now it's running at 930Mhz down from 1300Mhz :/

169097.GIF
    169097.GIF

So I have lots to poke around with here.

169116.GIF

That's only using the Motherboard's Turbo Key II auto-tuner, I havent actually touched any numbers myself. Never seen my machine run so hot before, this thing is usually supercool :p

I know the CPU is capable of 4.0ghz though so I'll play some games on this config then get into the really nitty gritty. The GPU is already as far as it will go I'm pretty sure, having tried to play with this thing before:

169119.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Take your RAM timings off auto. Keep them high until you're satisfied with your CPU overclock.

• Advertisement

Mmm old thread found. Decided to overclock today. Noticeable improvement in Planetside 2 performance on the following settings:

Secure Virtual Machine/C1E/CnQ/Core Unluck/TurboCORE Off

14x245; 3.44Ghz
    DRAM 1307 1.5V 7-7-7-21 (Currently testing 1633 1.65V 8-8-8-21)
    NB & HT 1960
    LL Calibration On

So far attempts to try 4ghz have failed to Post, save 1 that I forgot the settings to, but it BSOD' on Prime95 after hitting 52 degrees I think. Current settings holding on Prime 95. Coretemp with 10C offset correction reached dipped up to 73C before leveling off at 69C. Considering a WC block investment.

PogMoThoin is gone. :eek: :(

You should set the RAM timings to high if you're overclocking your CPU. You want to be sure that it's not your RAM that's holding you back when you're overclocking.

So put it at 1333MHz or slower with timings like 11-11 etc.

Then mess around with the CPU. Raise bit by bit doing quick stability tests and checking temperatures... I don't know about where you are but it's warm here today.
    Then when you see instabilities, increase the voltage slowly, keeping a very sharp eye on the temperatures.

I think the "NB & HT 1960" should be kept around 2000MHz, but will increase as you overclock, so you'll have to lower that too.

Turn off CnQ while overclocking. You can switch it on after you've finished testing (you can do more tests with it on if you want to, but leave it off for now).

1633 crashed the system, so Im back to 1307 and the previous clock. Just got a free Watercooler through a vendor accomodation (saweeet) and this is running prime OK. It inched up to 44C and now ticked back down to 42C. This same clock on air would become unstable within 5 minutes on Prime but worked fine in all other situations.

Actually Im pretty happy with the system performance where it sits (especially since, thanks to steam, Im now hooked on less demanding games like ****ing FTL) and all I want to do now is re-enable CnQ, but when I do, the clock speed drops down to 2.77/2.74 Ghz and doesn't seem to go any higher than that. Any ideas?

For the moment I just disabled the fan from the WC (which is painfully loud, and I have no apparent way to control its speed) and reverted the machine back to stock settings and minimal fan speeds. I can hear myself think again.

Not sure about CnQ. It shouldn't behave like that when under load. I would hazard a guess and say that there may be a setting saying the max and min speed somewhere in the BIOS menu. It might be picking a lower multiplier than the max.

Advertisement