Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arts @ UCC, do 1st year results go towards your final grade?

• 30-07-2011 6:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I'm due to start at UCC in Sept (Arts) as a mature student and just wondering whether your results in the 4 subjects in first year are taken into consideration for your final grade at the end of the degree course? I've been told that at CIT they're not but not too sure how it works at UCC? I had always assumed they were though?

By the way, I guess most MA's or HDips require at least say a 2.2? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

marti8 wrote: »
    I'm due to start at UCC in Sept (Arts) as a mature student and just wondering whether your results in the 4 subjects in first year are taken into consideration for your final grade at the end of the degree course? I've been told that at CIT they're not but not too sure how it works at UCC? I had always assumed they were though?

I'm afraid not. For most subjects (barring Maths I think) it's your final year results that are taken into consideration.

Yes. Most require a 2.1 I'm sure. Which is above a 2.2.

Again, it's mainly 3rd year that you have to get the applicable grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Xxsparkyxx

I'm afraid not. For most subjects (barring Maths I think) it's your final year results that are taken into consideration.

Yes. Most require a 2.1 I'm sure. Which is above a 2.2.

Again, it's mainly 3rd year that you have to get the applicable grade.

No 1st year results in arts are not considered.however you will need a 2.1 at least in second and 3rd year to get anything out of an arts degree.

A 2.1 isn't vitally important for your overall degree when pertaining to the results of 2nd year. A 2.1 in 3rd year is recommended I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

I got two different answers saying two different things, hmmmm. I'm just guessing but I think 2nd year does count, it would be rather odd if it didn't in that there would be no incentive to get a good grade say 80%+ as opposed to a pass grade of say 40%/50%+? Thanks anyway.

I got two different answers saying two different things, hmmmm. I'm just guessing but I think 2nd year does count, it would be rather odd if it didn't in that there would be no incentive to get a good grade say 80%+ as opposed to a pass grade of say 40%/50%+? Thanks anyway.

I'm going into second arts in september!all the tutors and lecturers told us in first year that all we had to do was pass and that second and third year grades would determine what degree we would come out with.first year is really about transformation into university life.you will learn about how to write a good essay,methods of learning all of which you can build on in second and third year.don't worry about it anyway they will tell you the same thing when you start university in September:)

• Advertisement

Xxsparkyxx wrote: »

I'm going into second arts in september!all the tutors and lecturers told us in first year that all we had to do was pass and that second and third year grades would determine what degree we would come out with.first year is really about transformation into university life.you will learn about how to write a good essay,methods of learning all of which you can build on in second and third year.don't worry about it anyway they will tell you the same thing when you start university in September:)

And I think a good second year result could sometimes be based on what career you are looking to pursue.I think that to do a master or secondary teaching you need to get at least a 2.1 in second year.

Sparky. You're making little sense. The lecturers say to get a 2.1 in second year so you'll be prepared for the work in 3rd year. Personally, my mark in second year was lower by a fraction than my mark in 3rd year, so they didn't add on to 3rd year.

OP, I've full confidence that your 3rd year results are the vital ones. If you're still unsure, give the Arts department a ring.

You may find more information here: http://www.ucc.ie/en/cacsss/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Sparky. You're making little sense. The lecturers say to get a 2.1 in second year so you'll be prepared for the work in 3rd year. Personally, my mark in second year was lower by a fraction than my mark in 3rd year, so they didn't add on to 3rd year.

OP, I've full confidence that your 3rd year results are the vital ones. If you're still unsure, give the Arts department a ring.

You may find more information here: http://www.ucc.ie/en/cacsss/

Reacher, my darling, is pretty much correct. It is your final year results that matter however, when you're applying for postgrads, as i'll be doing at the end of the year, you have to send away transcripts of your results from 1st and 2nd year. Now, sometimes you'll get a conditional offer from the institution you're applying to purely on the basis of your results in those two years and on the condition, hence the term conditional in your conditional offer, that you get a 2.1 or a 1.1 in your final results. Other times the institution you're applying for will wait until you've gotten your final year results before issuing you any kind of decision.

Regardless, there's no need to think too much about it at least until you get into 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

It used to be the case in the BA in Applied Psychology that 33% of the final grade was based on your 2nd year results. I don't know if that still holds.

Also, if you apply for any grad recruit programmes, they will demand full transcripts showing grades in 1st/2nd year as well as your final result. No matter how well you do in final year, if you are scraping passes in 1st and 2nd year it will come against you. Employers look at grades over 3/4 years of college as a key indicator of a candidate's work ethic.

Thank you Byron. :)

Also, while on the topic. UCC doesn't require transcripts of your results if applying to MAs, at least in the History department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

I know for the Science courses that 100 credits are considered in the final result. 60 from the final year and 40 of the top from the year before. I assume this is the case with Arts but I wouldn't be certain, you could try the book of standards I guess, I found it accidently once and can't find it again, kinda like the Room of Requirement in HP =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

JeremyH wrote: »
    It used to be the case in the BA in Applied Psychology that 33% of the final grade was based on your 2nd year results. I don't know if that still holds.

Also, if you apply for any grad recruit programmes, they will demand full transcripts showing grades in 1st/2nd year as well as your final result. No matter how well you do in final year, if you are scraping passes in 1st and 2nd year it will come against you. Employers look at grades over 3/4 years of college as a key indicator of a candidate's work ethic.

Sweet! glad i put in a decent amount of effort this year :D Had way too many people saying just get a pass, it's all you need

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Math studies is 33% of second year and 66% of 3rd year results

Math studies is 33% of second year and 66% of 3rd year results

What happens to the other one percent?:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

JeremyH wrote: »
    What happens to the other one percent?:confused:

Sorry, I'll rephrase - one third of your 2nd year mark and 2/3s of your 3rd year mark go towards your final degree

Sorry, I'll rephrase - one third of your 2nd year mark and 2/3s of your 3rd year mark go towards your final degree

I know. Still, it would be funny if, of all courses, Maths Studies had a grading structure that didn't add to 100%!

Marks and standards is what you are looking for with regards the subjects going towards your final degree - 09/10 one is here http://www.ucc.ie/prevcalendars/old/10M&S/index.html

Advertisement