Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot multitask

• 30-07-2011 7:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with me bband connection the last few weeks. I'm on a supposedly 3mbps connection, but I'm not getting anywhere near that at the best of times.

Right now, I'm torrenting; I'm also trying to download some stuff from Usenet via SABnzbd+; I should also be getting podcasts via iTunes and doing some browsing. Up until a week or so ago, I had no problem with doing all of these things at the same time. The Usenet downloading would normally take precedence so if I wanted to watch Youtube or something, I'd pause it, but that was about it.

Now, I have to pause everything if I want to get some decent web browsing in. Once paused, speedtest.net shows me approaching the 3mbps mark, so it seems like I'm getting it ok, just for some reason, running >1 download app at the same time just kills the rest. Even browsing times out.

Since my bband provider is giving me the paid-for 3mbps they say their job is done, and it's something to do with my PC (2.2GHz, 3GB RAM, Vista SP2). I made some changes to my torrenting s/w (uTorrent) last week to throttle the upload speed - but it's made no difference.

I just don't know where to look, or what to look for? Any tips?

Comments

Advertisement