Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimwitted Wood Pigeons

• 30-07-2011 10:15am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some friends have a problem with wood pigeons. They have been in their house for thirty odd years and just lately, the pigeons have started flying in to their (closed) French windows. This never happened before but it has now become a regular occurrence. The biggest problem apart from frightening the bejaysus out of these folk is that the impacts set off the house alarm. Needless to say, the neighbours aren't over the moon about it.
    They have asked me to think of a solution but I've drawn a blank.
    I suppose there are two questions: why have the pigeons started to do this and how can they be prevented from doing it - short of putting up wire mesh?
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Thanks for that looksee but the link is incompatible with a Mac :o
    Wouldn't there have to be light behind the glass to make a silhouette effective though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

My folks had the same issue with Doves. I hung a CD shiny side out on a plant in front of the window. The light reflecting from the surface of the CD stopped the issue straight away.

Also keeps them off the fruit trees :)
    Hope it helps.
    F.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Makes sense. I will try that, thanks :)

Advertisement