Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visiting cancer patient with baby

Options
  • 30-07-2011 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi, the hospital gave me the ok, but I am just wondering if I am doing the right thing bringing my 8 month old baby into see his dad whoi is currently undergoing radiotherapy.
    We will only stay an hour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

kb585 wrote: »
    Hi, the hospital gave me the ok, but I am just wondering if I am doing the right thing bringing my 8 month old baby into see his dad whoi is currently undergoing radiotherapy.
    We will only stay an hour.
    Wouldn't it be a big lift for the baby's father to see the child? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭titanium feather

Sorry, I'm not sure if it's your husband or your baby that you're worried about here?

Are you worried that your baby would somehow be affected by the treatment your husband is getting? I'm no expert, but I've never heard of that, and I know of a few fathers who received radiotherapy as outpatients and lived at home with their babies for the duration, there was never any issue.

Or is it that you're worried the baby might pass on a bug or something to your husband?

I'd go with the hospitals advice on this. If they're allowing you to bring the baby to visit, you should do so as much as possible - it could really help your husband a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

A lot depends on your husband's condition - how tired he is, etc. (I presume that, seeing you didn't mention it, he hasn't undergone surgery as well as RT - if so, he WILL be very tired).

As the other posters said, seeing the baby might give him a lift. On the other hand, an hour with the baby, under the circumstances, may be very tiring for him. Can I suggest that you bring someone else with you, who can take the baby away after a while and give you and your husband more time for yourselves.

I had major surgery a few years ago, and found the visits from family and friends absolutely wonderful. However almost always, friends stayed too long, particularly if they had travelled a fair distance to get there. This I found *VERY* tiring and draining. .............so for you others (not the OP!)......Don't overstay!!....Get in your quality visit and leave. The patient really appreciates your visit, but they really need to rest and recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kb585

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was concerned about my baby being in the hospital.
    My husband loves to see him. I brought him anyway, we stayed an hour or so. And think I will do the same again.
    It sure does give my husband a lift.
    Thanks for replies!

Advertisement