Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary Teaching Advice Please.

• 30-07-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,ill keep it short.Would you advise against a Teenager choosing Primary teaching as a career?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

More details required, a lot of it depends on the person themselves. Some people aren't suited to it. Has this person got other options or are they set on doing PT? Or is it just an afterthought? It's hard to advise in a vacuum.

Some of the negatives (most of which have arrived in the last 3/4 years) include:
    -Scarcity of jobs
    -Much reduced salary
    -Increased and more likely than not, increasing, class sizes
    -Cuts in SNAs and resource hours which will make the job more difficult
    -General stick from people tattling out the 'June, July & August' line.

All that said, from my experience of it to date (I'm still a student), it's a very valuable and rewarding job if you like it. Very difficult if you don't though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have been teaching for over 20 years. I agree with Damba, if it's what someone REALLY wants, then yes, go for it. I'd suggest getting some time helping in a classroom, as sometimes people have a rose-coloured idea of what the day-to-day job involves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

Primary Teacher Training Forum

new forum for this stuff!

may as well try get it goin a bit!

Advertisement