Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's preserved locomotives - gallery

• 30-07-2011 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Please add your own photos.

Only right to start with Irelands oldest surviving loco, GSWR no 36 at Cork Kent Station

28asuh5.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

RPSI No 4 on the 'Sea Breeze' two years back. Designed by 'Ivatt' it was built in 1947 for the NCC (Northern Counties Commitee) at the LMS works in Derby and assembled in Belfast. It is a WT Class 2-6-4 Tank engine. Driving wheel diameter is 6 ft. and Tractive effort 22,160 lbs.

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10226

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

corktina wrote: »
    Please add your own photos.

Only right to start with Irelands oldest surviving loco, GSWR no 36 at Cork Kent Station

28asuh5.jpg
    That looks fantastic,
    Can i ask when this photo was taken? I only ask as i saw it being cleaned last week and what a job it was, several people with basins of water and polishing cloths and sweeping and mopping underneath and around it, the amount of dirt they removed from around it was criminal! I have to say the general public are pigs when it comes to looking after the country, or maybe the people that caused all the dirt and litter actually live in the filth they create wherever they go?

(quoted the picture as it is well worth a second or even third look:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

id say last summer. The n "new" station certainly is a more suitable place for the old lady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

RPSI No 4 on the 'Sea Breeze' two years back. Designed by 'Ivatt' it was built in 1947 for the NCC (Northern Counties Commitee) at the LMS works in Derby and assembled in Belfast. It is a WT Class 2-6-4 Tank engine. Driving wheel diameter is 6 ft. and Tractive effort 22,160 lbs.

No.4 had her last run before boiler overhaul on yesterday's Portrush Flyer. She's certainly given faithful service to the RPSI in both Dublin and Belfast over the last decade, it will be strange to have a different engine on the Santas and Sea Breezes!

Niles wrote: »
    No.4 had her last run before boiler overhaul on yesterday's Portrush Flyer. She's certainly given faithful service to the RPSI in both Dublin and Belfast over the last decade, it will be strange to have a different engine on the Santas and Sea Breezes!

I actually remember a lot of those locos in service with the UTA, as I was around for the end of the steam era, which had all but gone by the start of the sixties. They always looked the real deal, with the outside Walschaert's valve gear.

About 1962, as I recall, steam finished completely in the Dublin region. On a Saturday morning an old GNR 4-4-2 Tank engine was still on one of the last remaining steam hauled trains, to Howth, and I used to get it home from school, if at all possible.

• Advertisement

Great Southern Railways Class J15 No 186 pictured at Howth Junction today at 14.30 hrs. Designed by Mc Donnell, it was built in 1879 by Sharp, Stewart & Co of Manchester. Class J15's were also built at Inchicore. 186 is another of the RPSI preserved steam locomotives. Surreal watching this 132 year old loco passing by today.

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Great Southern Railways Class J15 No 186 pictured at Howth Junction today at 14.30 hrs. Designed by Mc Donnell, it was built in 1879 by Sharp, Stewart & Co of Manchester. Class J15's were also built at Inchicore. 186 is another of the RPSI preserved steam locomotives

Her sister 184 is stored in Whitehead in a reasonable condition. Sadly, given her weak work rate at rail it's unlikely that she will be steamed again soon, priority being given to the more powerful and operationally useful 461 and GNR 85, both of whom should be back in service soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Even 186 has her limits, when in Dublin she's usually limited to six carriages (whereas No.4 takes no less than nine on the Santas). Personally I'd love to see 131 out simply because it's never steamed in preservation before but I know I'm in for a long wait! At least by the time 171 is ready we should have a full set of blue Cravens for her to haul, making for a complete blue train. Ireland's equivalent to "Le train bleu" or maybe "An traein ghorm"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Have to be honest,i don't like the blue Cravens. They only look right Orange & Black(Toothpaste stripes optional!) imo.

Her sister 184 is stored in Whitehead in a reasonable condition. Sadly, given her weak work rate at rail it's unlikely that she will be steamed again soon, priority being given to the more powerful and operationally useful 461 and GNR 85, both of whom should be back in service soon.

GNR 4-4-0 85 Merlin used to be on the 'Enterprise' in the 50's - awesome sight at speed :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Merlin certainly is awesome. Had the pleasure of haulage Dublin to Belfast a few years ago, its one Pocket Rocket!

Advertisement