Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get jalapenos?

Options
  • 30-07-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Can you get them in tesco or lidls? If so, where abounce in tesco can you find them? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

i124Q wrote: »
    Can you get them in tesco or lidls? If so, where abounce in tesco can you find them? ;)
    Try the chilli section

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

Where ever you find old el paso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Depends on whether you want fresh or pickled, there's a big difference in taste & texture.

Pickled, you can get in jars by Old El Paso, and I think Tesco might also do them in their "storecupboard" range, where they're probably cheaper.

Fresh, I've seen them in very few supermarkets. Aldi do a mixed pack of fresh chilies that usually has at least one jalapeno in it, but if you're going to end up using one and throwing the rest out, it's a bit of a waste.

Your best bet if you need a couple of fresh ones is to go to an Asian grocer, they tend to sell them loose, by weight. Dona Theresa, who runs the Mexican stall in the Temple Bar food market, can also get them for you, but she'll need a week's notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Very easy to grow yourself indoors.

Superquinn are doing a new cheapo make of the pickled ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

You can't get them in Tesco's - Aldi do a pack of mixed chillies that may or may not contain one jalapeno! Sometimes I can get them from my local greengrocer (Country Fresh in Westport) but not very often. I would *kill* for a reliable source of these green tastes of heaven! Next year, I'll try growing my own again, but the combination of cats and plants on windowsills hasn't worked very well to date...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Superquinn always sold these fresh (haven'y been home in a while so not sure if they still do)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

My local tesco do red or green ( the red are sweeter ) pickled .

However in Tesco logic , the red ones went up in price from 98c to 198c overnight 2 weeks ago , along with a sticker saying loudly ALDI PRICE ( yes the sticker shouts :-) )

I am growing my own on the kitchen windowsill right now .

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

Wow, I never knew theyre so hard to get!
    I used to work in pizza business and always loved the ones we got in, in Big tins.

Hopefully some day, we will be graced with the presence of these beautiful peppers in our markets!

:rolleyes:

i124Q wrote: »
    Hopefully some day, we will be graced with the presence of these beautiful peppers in our markets!

You can get them in loads of markets. It's supermarkets that are loathe to stock them, other than in the teeny-tiny, overpriced Old El Paso jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

In Dublin City Centre Evergreen on Wexford St often have them.

• Advertisement

My life is complete. Got them in the Old El Paso section in Superquinn. Yummy!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Someone mentioned growing them in-doors. Anywhere I can find some seeds? Would be awesome. I'd live off them.

Fart wrote: »
    Someone mentioned growing them in-doors. Anywhere I can find some seeds? Would be awesome. I'd live off them.

Buy the ones in jars and nick a seed off one or 20... ;)

Fart wrote: »

Buy some fresh ones and hang them up by the stalk to dry out for a couple of weeks. Give 'em a shake, and when you can hear the seeds rattling around, take 'em out and plant 'em. Use the dried chilies to make chili oil.

Alternatively, you can buy the seeds in any Woodies. Look out for the "Grown Your Own Salsa" multi-packs, you'll get coriander, bell pepper & spring onion seeds along with the jalapenos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

check any russian/polish/eastern european super markets. youll defo get em there

rasputin in tallaght village stocked them

• Registered Users Posts: 35 heisenburger

Tesco do them fresh for about a euro for a packet. You find them in the herbs section beside all the vegetables. they do little packets of jalapenos and you can also get green, red, finger and birds-eye chili's in most tescos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

On a Steek...."I Killl you!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

From Thursday 1st Sept, Lidl are doing a Mexican Week of sorts. They have Jalapenos on special. Worth a shot to check out their other Mexican products too.

Advertisement