Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You

Options
  • 30-07-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I thought that since there is a thread on Noel Gallagher's Flying Birds maybe we should have one for the RHCP's new album.

This thread is for discussing news about the new album, The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie and any other new songs should they be leaked anytime before the album's release.

So for anyone who still hasn't heard, give Rain Dance Maggie if you need to keep up to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8QoB3sifzw&ob=av2e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The album is being streamed on itunes today. I listened to the whole thing in 1 sitting. I'm not sure where to start really. It's very different to their previous album, which was inevitable I suppose considering the departure of John Frusciante who had a huge input into their sound both in songwriting and production. I have to say that even though its different I liked it and I think I will like it more as I listen to it more.

The new guitarist Josh Klinghoffer who worked and toured with them on Stadium Arcadium was probably the best replacement for JF. He has a much more subtle style than JF. There isn't much thumping power chords or lengthy technical solos like on Stadium Arcadium. The few solos that are on the album are simplistic and short. In that respect it reminds me in some ways of JF's playing on Californication. One thing that is quite obvious is that he doesn't have the same musical compatabiliy/chemistry with Flea that JF had. I don't envy Josh K, I can see him getting a lot of **** from critics for not being as good as Frusciante.

Overall the album continues the chilis seemingly irreversible descent into mainstream soft pop rock and I have to say I miss the **** hot funky punk rock hip hop band that emerged in the 1980s. If you listen to the album without any expectations or pre-conceptions about what you think it should be like then you will enjoy it more. I enjoyed it and I can't wait to see them play some of it live in the O2 in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

MadYaker wrote: »
    I enjoyed it and I can't wait to see them play some of it live in the O2 in November.

I just heard the full album and its pretty impressive.

Best effort since Californication. Wouldn't mind hearing most if not (in the unlikely event) all the tracks from the album live.

There is no filler on this record and that is very uncommon. But yeah the O2 show will be wuite memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Brendans Death Song and Look Around probably my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Man, I used to love the Chilis but someone needs to tell them to stop making music. This album is way too bad, I can't believe they even released this muck. Who the hell told them they could play piano??? They're terrible! there's no major riffs in the album, Josh really has nothing on Frusciante.

Flea has some really nice bass lines in the album and Chad's drumming is... well... Chad playing drums really, always the same.

Pity, was looking forward to the album, hoping maybe they go back to their roots. Alas, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Brendans Death Song and Look Around probably my favourites.

I cant stop listening to Brendens Death Song, I may stop cause im going to ruin it for myself if I dont :

I like the album, its different, it would be boring if every album they did sounded the same, it wont be everyones cup of tea but you get that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Battleflag wrote: »
    Man, I used to love the Chilis but someone needs to tell them to stop making music. This album is way too bad, I can't believe they even released this muck. Who the hell told them they could play piano??? They're terrible! there's no major riffs in the album, Josh really has nothing on Frusciante.

Flea has some really nice bass lines in the album and Chad's drumming is... well... Chad playing drums really, always the same.

Pity, was looking forward to the album, hoping maybe they go back to their roots. Alas, no

+1

Huge fan of the Chilis, absolutely love flea and Frusciante - although I'm glad he's moved on again - would have been a major influence on me, but just listening to previews of it now on itunes and well..:confused:

Seems well, a bit ****.

Really wished they stopped working with Rick Rubin some time many years ago.

Could be the first RHCP album I haven't bought on launch day since Blood Sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

I quite like it. I'm really loving Did I Let You Know, and Monarchy of Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

Sorry if this is basicaly an all out attack on your post but tbh the guitar has gone right back to their roots for example

I think Josh is a great combination of John and their earlier guitarists (Hillel,, Jack Sherman)

And in terms of piano, Chad and Flea have been playing piano since before Blood Sugar and Flea, who wrote most of the piano parts on this album, has been studying music and playing piano alot for the past four years. Check out "Even You Brutus?" for some (what i think are) great piano.

Bands change and people don't like it (they hated the "Magical Mystery Tour" and Arctic Monkeys "Humbug" when those albums came out).Any way i think i have proven my "fanboydom" for the chilis. I love this album and can't wait to see them in November and can't wait for the Honest John's Chop Up a few days before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

The album is being streamed on itunes today. I listened to the whole thing in 1 sitting. I'm not sure where to start really. It's very different to their previous album, which was inevitable I suppose considering the departure of John Frusciante who had a huge input into their sound both in songwriting and production. I have to say that even though its different I liked it and I think I will like it more as I listen to it more.

The new guitarist Josh Klinghoffer who worked and toured with them on Stadium Arcadium was probably the best replacement for JF. He has a much more subtle style than JF. There isn't much thumping power chords or lengthy technical solos like on Stadium Arcadium. The few solos that are on the album are simplistic and short. In that respect it reminds me in some ways of JF's playing on Californication. One thing that is quite obvious is that he doesn't have the same musical compatabiliy/chemistry with Flea that JF had. I don't envy Josh K, I can see him getting a lot of **** from critics for not being as good as Frusciante.

Overall the album continues the chilis seemingly irreversible descent into mainstream soft pop rock and I have to say I miss the **** hot funky punk rock hip hop band that emerged in the 1980s. If you listen to the album without any expectations or pre-conceptions about what you think it should be like then you will enjoy it more. I enjoyed it and I can't wait to see them play some of it live in the O2 in November.

I literally agree with every single word of that :cool:

And can't wait to see them in the O2 either :D

Brendan's Death Song will no doubt be released as a single.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

karaokeman wrote: »
    Brendan's Death Song will no doubt be released as a single.
    Chad was saying somewhere that his favourite track Monarchy of Roses will be a single I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SirPsycoSexy39

yeah got the album today and went to see the live streamed gig from Germany. Not overly impressed but its not bad. Still, in my opinion every chilis album really needs to be given a chance to grow on you.

It's different yes but in no way is that a bad thing.The best thing about chili peppers is listening from the first album to the last and hearing their sound develop, mature and change, thats why they're one of the best bands ever and why they'll continue to make good music. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I've been a big Chilis fan for years. Love their early stuff, but I though By the Way was brilliant and Stadium Arcadium had some moments of genius. However, I'm really underwhelmed with this album. I just find it bland. Like they've stopped taking any musical risks.

Inevitable for a band who've been around that long, I suppose, still a little dissapointing.

Chad was saying somewhere that his favourite track Monarchy of Roses will be a single I think

I really hope not, I think he also mentioned Ethiopia as a possible release.

But if they want any of the songs from this record to be hits I say Did I Let You Know should be next followed by Brendan's Death Song and maybe Dance, Dance, Dance (unlikely because it is rare the last track on an album is released as a single but I can always hope).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Funnily enough, One Hot Minute is one of my fave albums. Maybe they might revisit it live now that they have a guitarist that had nothing to do with their previous output as such..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I had a listen to the album and didn't think it was great but I went to the screening last night and the songs sound fantastic played live!

It looks like that gig in the O2 will be a good one. They played a cracking version of Give It Away as well.

Who the hell told them they could play piano???

Since when do famous bands need their mommy's permission to try something new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 r.h.c.podge

i think that this is their best album in while it sounds a lot different without frusciante but in a better way klinghoffer birngs a new sort ove vibe tom the band with his youth, th chilis will be alright once the keep there rhythm section and that is the dominant sound of them anyway

Advertisement