Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird problem with Dads Skype

• 30-07-2011 1:46pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My Dad is with eircom broadband and while Skype says its online on his computer it takes several minutes to show he is online (for most people signing in they show as online on your contact list in a few seconds). Its been happening for a while and I've done the usual Skype updates etc. I'm just wondering is this behaviour normal? He is saying Skype is online now and yet he isnt appearing online in my contact list, and trying to force call (right click offline contact>video call) it fails!

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

yoyo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My Dad is with eircom broadband and while Skype says its online on his computer it takes several minutes to show he is online (for most people signing in they show as online on your contact list in a few seconds). Its been happening for a while and I've done the usual Skype updates etc. I'm just wondering is this behaviour normal? He is saying Skype is online now and yet he isnt appearing online in my contact list, and trying to force call (right click offline contact>video call) it fails!

Cheers,

Nick

Make sure plug and play (upnp) is enabled on his router/modem. The Skype protocol doesn't use a standard port, its random, therefore it uses upnp to portforward a random port everytime it starts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Make sure plug and play (upnp) is enabled on his router/modem. The Skype protocol doesn't use a standard port, its random, therefore it uses upnp to portforward a random port everytime it starts.

Cheers, will look now, I found the issue that happened that day though, Skype had crashed and yet Dad said was working alrite :rolleyes: This program is not responding didn't hint that it may be a problem! At parents now so will look at the router, think upnp should be on but will double check!

Cheers

Nick

Edit: Yep upnp is on, a strange one!

Advertisement