Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD ripping and 5.1 surround sound

Options
  • 30-07-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I have been using Handbrake on a Mac to rip some of my DVDs for instant access on my PS3. I always encode in 5.1 sound (if available) even though I know the PS3 will only play back stereo from an MP4 (and most of the DVDs I would rip make little to no use of surround sound). However I have a few DVDs that I need to rip as they are region 1 and won't play on my region 2 PS3 and would like to keep the surround sound for playback on PS3 this time as the surround sound is a particular feature of the discs. Any ideas how this can be done for free on a Mac? I have definitely seen old AVI files that had 5.1 sound.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi,

I have been using Handbrake on a Mac to rip some of my DVDs for instant access on my PS3. I always encode in 5.1 sound (if available) even though I know the PS3 will only play back stereo from an MP4 (and most of the DVDs I would rip make little to no use of surround sound). However I have a few DVDs that I need to rip as they are region 1 and won't play on my region 2 PS3 and would like to keep the surround sound for playback on PS3 this time as the surround sound is a particular feature of the discs. Any ideas how this can be done for free on a Mac? I have definitely seen old AVI files that had 5.1 sound.

Thanks

Theres plenty of tools out there for windows, DVDFab decrypter/DVDFab Free DVD combination can be downloaded here is free and will decrypt the disc, while preserving the menus/video/sound etc. You should be able to reburn the disc to a single layer or if neccesary a double layer dvd, this can be done in any burning program but make sure you finalize the disc, I am not sure what rippers are available on mac, but if you have access to a windows pc that should do it :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Most DVDs use AC3 (Dolby Digital), and a small number of titles also feature a DTS track.

AC3 in MP4 is semi-compliant...it depends on the player. PS3 supports it fine afaik.

So when you rip your DVDs don't re-encode the audio, include the original AC3 track. Handbrake supports this, select 'passthrough'. If you want to maintain compliancy with Apple stuff (iPods etc) you might need to include a secondary AAC fallback track, im not sure if this is still the case. Apple stuff is garbage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Unregistered Migrant

I tried an 'AC3 Passthrough' as mentioned in the handBrake help before and played through my PS3, the file is still only recognised as having stereo sound. I even compared the sound from an original disc Vs the ripped MP4 and they were definitely not the same.

(Pressing select on the PS3 controller/remote brings up an info pane during playback that tells you what type of sound the file has.)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Unregistered Migrant

Apple stuff is garbage anyway.

Also as regards this quote; honestly? Fanboy nonsense on a Saturday afternoon? Today it was announced that Apple has greater cash reserves than the entire United States (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14340470), I think it's fair to say they are doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Also as regards this quote; honestly? Fanboy nonsense on a Saturday afternoon? Today it was announced that Apple has greater cash reserves than the entire United States (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14340470), I think it's fair to say they are doing something right.

Im talking about video/audio format compatibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Apples proprietry codecs are rubbish, same goes for Microsofts ones.

Nick

Advertisement