Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Summer Bankruptcy Sale''

Options
  • 30-07-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not advertising! There's one of these on in Youghal tomorrow and I just want to know are they legit or what? On the flyer it says a couple of things; ''Ex-catalougue stock, direct form the UK'' and ''Terms: cash payments or cheque with bankers card''.

Also, the prices look a bit surprising (€300 for a 50 inch TV). So, has anyone been to one of these? Are they scam artists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

DONT. GO. NEAR. IT

These are total scams.

Also known as a 'liquidation Sale' or 'Ex Display Stock Sale'.

You usually get a flyer in the door showing pictures of items at great prices, When you get to this 'auction' 95% of the items on the flyer aren't there, when you get there you're never allowed see the items on offer untill everybody is left in together. Usually there is a long table up the front with loads of gear on it, the 'auctioneer' is behind this.

Add to that there are stooges in the audience, they'll nab any good gear there or at the very least drive up bidding.

The 'auctioneer' will also do 'rolling' auctions, this is where you buy into maybe 4 small auctions before you're allowed to bid in the big auction, usually these small auctions are blind, you don't know what youre bidding on:

'Next up we have a suprise item, only 5euro, it's a lovely bottle of expesive aftershave, if you want to be in the main auction you have to bid for this item, we have plenty, it's a deal, 5euro for a bottle of aftershave...'

The suprise aftershave will be an expensive bottle of Kalven Clean, that's not a spelling mistake by the way.

These are Scams, but they're in a very Grey area law wise

On another note, if you want to see how impressive and skilled a scam artist can be go along, stand at the back and observe the magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It does say at the top of the leaflet that ''this is not an auction'' but cheers for the advice, I think I'll give it a miss if it's anything like you say it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

If you do decide to purchase, its buyer-beware, no option really to seek refund, replacementing etc so just be careful on what u r buying

J. Marston wrote: »
    It does say at the top of the leaflet that ''this is not an auction'' but cheers for the advice, I think I'll give it a miss if it's anything like you say it is.

Go just to watch, if there's no entrance charge. it really is impressive to see these guys work

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, it says free-entry. I might go down for the laugh.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yeah, it says free-entry. I might go down for the laugh.

Just leave your wallet at home, these guys are silver tongued :D

Advertisement