Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    This is on the N6 approaching Briarhill junction outbound. Why is there a bicycle sign above a hard shoulder and hatched area? Do cyclists magically appear from that sign onwards?
    http://i.imgur.com/JsQsVB6l.jpg?1

It's a warning that, since the shoulder is ending, cyclists will now be in the same space as motorists as they will have been in the shoulder for the length of the DC. Perhaps a bit redundant but no harm in reminding both sides to be careful because I've seen a fair bit of confusion and hesitancy from both sides here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's a warning that, since the shoulder is ending, cyclists will now be in the same space as motorists as they will have been in the shoulder for the length of the DC. Perhaps a bit redundant but no harm in reminding both sides to be careful because I've seen a fair bit of confusion and hesitancy from both sides here.
    :confused:
    Why would a cyclist be on a hard shoulder? They are entitled to be in the lane.
    There are cycle markings on the road surface at the junction ahead and a bike lane on MoniveaRoad

:confused:
    Why would a cyclist be on a hard shoulder? They are entitled to be in the lane.

Dunno why you're confused, Cyclists cycle along the DC on the hard shoulder, always have done.
    There are cycle markings on the road surface at the junction ahead and a bike lane on MoniveaRoad

Not from this side. There are only cycle markings on the R339.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not from this side. There are only cycle markings on the R339.
    Yes there is. There is a white line for motorists to stop, a pedestrian crossing and then a white marking for cyclists to stop. The same occurs going the opposite direction on the N6 at Briarhill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Wed @ 8am ‘Cycle to Campus’ from Knocknacarra (leaving B&Q at 8am)
    Thur @ 1pm Cycling Skills Training – 1pm from Orbsen Building

More details here
    https://www.facebook.com/NuiGalwayGreenCampusTeam

• Advertisement

Yes there is. There is a white line for motorists to stop, a pedestrian crossing and then a white marking for cyclists to stop. The same occurs going the opposite direction on the N6 at Briarhill.

Hmmm. This provides yet another illustration of the pitfalls of city council engineers pulling stuff out of the original context and without any apparent thought of how it is supposed to work here.

In this case the bicycle markings in front of the stop lines are not stop lines for cyclists as such. They are meant to mimic the Danish system of go-right-to-turn left,or in this case go-left-to-turn-right.

So the theory is that if you are on a bike you and want to turn right you are supposed to pull into these boxes and wait for the green signal on the arm you are turning into. The problem is that the traffic signal sequence has not been set up to take this into account so traffic is moving through at least one of these boxes at the same time as cyclists are supposed to be pulling across into them. Easier to illustrate with a few pictures if we have any budding graphic artists.

Easier to illustrate with a few pictures if we have any budding graphic artists.

If it'll help I'll get some photos on the way home as I'll be passing that way. Can you pm me/post angles that will help?

Edit - aerial view

258727.jpg

You can use MS Paint to draw arrows.

There are four cyclist stop lines in the picture. They are all for cyclists going straight ahead. Anyway, why is that yellow sign on the N6 was my question. It is a bit stupid.
    xuSpl4Nl.jpg

There are four cyclist stop lines in the picture. They are all for cyclists going straight ahead. Anyway, why is that yellow sign on the N6 was my question. It is a bit stupid.

So if they are for cyclists going straight ahead, why do they have arrows coming from the right and pointing forward?

On what legal basis would you be able to cross the first stop line to get to the second "stop line"?

I have no idea. The painted white image is a right angle with a bicycle image.
    GCC map shows only two in their public information campaign http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccvisual/viewer/Briarhill_291111.htm whereas they painted in four.

Now back to my yellow sign! Why is it there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Having on one occasion attempted to use one of those hook boxes at the Briarhill Junction I rapidly came to the conclusion that Galway City Council wants me dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Agree Mr_A - the junction is just to big for these Hook Turn boxes to work. How many motorists even understand the concept? Is it in the "Rules of the Road"? Better taking a lane - still that's not for the faint hearted if approaching from the N6; traffic speeds are high.

Because of the hook turn boxes? Perhaps Email the GTU in city hall to get an answer? Ask them if they have a video demo of a cyclist using a hook turn at the Briarhill junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Because the hard shoulder ends and becomes a left-turn lane.

Motorised traffic will be merging from the right, potentially cutting across cyclists.

The warning sign is an attempt at drawing motorists' attention to this possible hazard.

I've seen such a sign elsewhere, possibly on the SQR. Not much use, I would suspect.

How does it compare with the 'solution' below on the SQR? This cyclist-only Yield marking appeared in April, I believe, beside the build-out that was installed to force traffic to merge before the junction just beyond the ESB sub-station.

258793.jpg

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Because the hard shoulder ends and becomes a left-turn lane.

Motorised traffic will be merging from the right, potentially cutting across cyclists.

The warning sign is an attempt at drawing motorists' attention to this possible hazard.

I've seen such a sign elsewhere, possibly on the SQR. Not much use, I would suspect.

How does it compare with the 'solution' below on the SQR? This cyclist-only Yield marking appeared in April, I believe, beside the build-out that was installed to force traffic to merge before the junction just beyond the ESB sub-station.

258793.jpg

That junction at Glendara is a mess! That painted yield markings in the cycle lane means absolutley nothing without an appropriate road sign beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Finally got out to cycle the Galway->Moycullen->Spiddal->Galway loop at the weekend. Very nice cycle! The road back from Spiddal is a bit tight though but nice flat stretch.

5Jg4HV.jpg

It's a warning sign for motorists only indicating cyclists ahead. This is because there is a cycle lane on the Monivea Road(R336). It is odd there would be such a sign as cyclists use the N6 all the time and the Council have put cyclist markings on the N6 at the Briarhill junction. Also there is no warning sign of cyclists approaching the junction from the south.
    Inconsistent.

Saturday 22nd June: Bikeweek critical mass bike parade event

http://criticalmassgalway.wordpress.com/

Meet opposite Wards Shop on University Road and spend an hour celebrating everyday cycling in Galway together - and maybe go for a big fry afterwards.

Event Date:
    Saturday 22, June at 12pm

259233.jpg

Saturday 22, June 2013 Bikeweek Bicycle Orienteering
    http://www.bikeweek.ie/events/galway/bicycle-orienteering

Bike Maintenance Workshop & Orienteered Cycle
    (with tracks to cater for young children, teenagers and adults, followed by refreshments in the park)
    Meeting Point: Doughiska Park - Playground Entrance

Event Date:
    Saturday, 22 June 2013 - 11:00am to 2:00pm

Sunday, 23 June 2013 Bikeweek Slí na gCaisleán Tour

http://brenspeedie.blogspot.com/2013/06/seven-galway-castles-looped-heritage.html

http://www.bikeweek.ie/events/galway/sl%C3%AD-na-gcaisle%C3%A1n-tour

Guided 25 mile Heritage Cycle

which will journey over hills, along botharíns and pass seven castles

Meeting at Terryland Castle

Event Date:
    Sunday, 23 June 2013 - 10:00am to 6:00pm

CarrowbrowneBogRoadCycle.jpg

• Advertisement

Sunday, 23 June 2013 Bikeweek Family Fun Bike Ride
    http://www.bikeweek.ie/events/galway/family-fun-bike-ride

A 3km family friendly cycle along the river & canals including picnic in grounds of NUI Galway

- Adults and Accompanied Children Welcome -

Meeting at Southpark 12.00 noon

Event Date:
    Sunday, 23 June 2013 - 12:00pm to 6:00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Good Christ. With all that going on this Saturday, I really hope you guys get the weather for it.

Good Christ. With all that going on this Saturday, I really hope you guys get the weather for it.

Many fingers and toes crossed. Might also sacrifice a chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Might also sacrifice a chicken.

If that doesn't seem to be doing the job, and you think you need something bigger; do let me know. I have a few friends who are really into their historical recreations.

Here's a snap of them I took last summer.

sacrificial-stone5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's a pity tomorrow's activities are on the same time as the Lions rugby match! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

How did it go?

No pedestrians harmed in the making of this campaign I take it?

How did it go?

No pedestrians harmed in the making of this campaign I take it?

No in the end we just stuck with sacrificing a chicken.

Sunday, 23 June 2013 Bikeweek Slí na gCaisleán Tour

http://brenspeedie.blogspot.com/2013/06/seven-galway-castles-looped-heritage.html

http://www.bikeweek.ie/events/galway/sl%C3%AD-na-gcaisle%C3%A1n-tour

Guided 25 mile Heritage Cycle

which will journey over hills, along botharíns and pass seven castles

Meeting at Terryland Castle

Event Date:
    Sunday, 23 June 2013 - 10:00am to 6:00pm

CarrowbrowneBogRoadCycle.jpg

I say 70+ took part in this. Great turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

No in the end we just stuck with sacrificing a chicken.

Gives a whole new meaning to 'Why did the chicken cross the road?'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Just wanted to let people on this thread know that Oisin from the Galway Cycling Campaign is one of the speakers tomorrow at Ignite in Kellys about Making Galway a Cycling City if that might be something ye'd be interested in.

Also, Brendan (Speedie) from the blogpost two comments up will also be giving a talk!

Full Disclosure: I'm organising the event =P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement