Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michelangelo Restaurant Celbridge - reviews ?

Options
  • 30-07-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I received a gift voucher from a friend fir the above restaurant and decided to have a look at the menu and reviews e.t.c ... There are quite a lot of negative reviews damming the service and the way people were treated by some staff. I understand that you are only going to get a mixed bag when you look at these reviews and not all had the negative experience but more than I would have expected.

Can anyone add to this that have been at the restaurant in the recent past. I was going to book tonight but now am not sure..Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Food & Drink. You are more likely to get more responses from the locals than the foodies.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I go there fairly often mainly for the Sunday lunch and find it very good and the staff friendly. Like many restaurants the staff change a lot over the years and people are more likely to report on bad experiences than good.

I'll take the voucher off you if you are still unsure :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Went there for the first time in years last week and was quite impressed with the standard of food, the service and the value.

We will definitely be going back :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Thanks for replies. I went along anyway and overall I thought it was average. The waiting staff were very friendly but the food was disappointing.

I won't be going back...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i've been there twice. First time on recommendation of others in the town. I didnt find the food very good...average at best. service was about the same as you'd get elsewhere.

I gave the place a second chance (because i'd had so many good reviews off friends/relatives - I figured that maybe they'd just had an off day for my first visit.)

second visit was even worse...i wouldnt have served a dog the food we got that time...service was poor also. I was given a bill to pay, when i went to pay it they told me they'd forgotten to add a service charge to it. :mad:

wasnt a happy camper...wont be back again no matter what reviews i get about them. Theres much better places to eat around celbridge than them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Are you sure you were in Michelangelos as they don't have a service charge?

What food did you order that you didn't like?

Too many posters, doing critics on restaurants, describe food as being below standard, sh1te, muck etc. but that doesn't give the story unless you give the details on exactly what food you didn't like and what you thought was wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yeah Michelangelo's DONT have a service charge so (while Im as gulity of being a bit of a 'keyboard warrior' meself as anybody online) I reckon the previous negative poster's review would have to be re-examined by him/her.Ive Sunday lunched at Michelangelos several times in last year and found it to be trying hard to please the punter with good price cuts ,friendly service and solid,varied food.I dont think Celbridge is nearly as well served as Leixlip or Maynooth at this end of the restaurant market where the likes of DaVincis or Greenes really show how its done .In the past I think Michelangelos had an almost 'steakhouse'/'horsey set' restaurant appeal but I think they have sensibly reevaluated their target clientele to suit the current climate .With other local restaurants closing down I think they should be given a chance .I'll certainly be back again in the next few months .Theyre well worth a visit .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Joe Public wrote: »
    Are you sure you were in Michelangelos

Yes -the big sign out side said it was Michelangelos :p

as they don't have a service charge?

they told me they added a service charge because our party was more than 8 people
    What food did you order that you didn't like?.

mostly we had pasta dishes - pasta was either over cooked or undercooked (not even al dente)

the meats that came with the dishes was of poor taste and badly (over cooked).

its been a few years since i've been there because of my experiences and even if they have improved their act I wont be back because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I've been there once and, unfortunately, it was one time too many.

Although not the cheapest, I did not think it was overly expensive for what we ordered. However, quality of food and preparation is at very best only average.
    Both myself and the OH found the pasta to be overcooked - IMHO this is a cardinal sin. The main course was sort of ok - I asked for my steak to be cooked rare (almost blue) and I got it well done. OH had fish and that was ok. Dessert was fine. Neither of us drink so cannot comment on quality of wines etc.

Service was pretty dismal with long gaps between courses. There was only one other 2 person table occupied at the time, so the 'busy' excuse doesn't apply.

Will definitely not be going back.

Advertisement