Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY

Options
  • 30-07-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

Today sky cut ous off for the second sat in a row. One was due too the bill. Today is cause there is no direct debit account with sky. I'm not the account holder but have they the rights Too cut ous off for that having a direct debit account. It was cancelled the debit account. I paid sky last sat.

They say it can only be turned on when they get a credit card or a direct debit account is set up again. They said they need access too money all the time for the bills too be paid on time.

Did they have the right not too switch it back on. Should I ask for me money back if they are going too be like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

well if you're not the contract holder so you don't really have any rights if it's not your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

But INwas speaking too sky. The account holder does not want a direct debit account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sky terms and conditions - no direct debit, no service.

Your choices - open an account and setup a direct debit or else don't use Sky.

Simple really.

And yes, they can revoke service when you break the terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Is the account holder still under contract?

www.freesat.co.uk + www.saorview.ie for RTE HD

Buy a freesat HD box for €100.00 or less. Plug your Sky cable into the back.

BBCHD, ITVHD, CH4HD, BBC1,2,3,4. More4/E4 etc no subscription, no Murdoch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is the account holder still under contract?

www.freesat.co.uk + www.saorview.ie for RTE HD

Buy a freesat HD box for €100.00 or less. Plug your Sky cable into the back.

BBCHD, ITVHD, CH4HD, BBC1,2,3,4. More4/E4 etc no subscription, no Murdoch.

And no channels that most people subscribe to sky for in the first place.

Freesat is not a catch all alternative to Sky , even if its constantly bandied about as one. Sky bashing is one of the cool trends on boards and all but still doesnt mean people dont want the stations they broadcast.

• Advertisement

Not every has the money in the account all the time. Alot would like too get the bill in post and pay it that way. Also I wouldn't be letting people take money out of my account just too pay bills. I prefer too have the bill in my hand and pay it straight away.

Why did they take the payment last week with on direct debit account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Get an o2 money card or pre paid debit card - both valid for 12 months. This should suffice

I used the 3G thing too pay last week. How much is the O2 thing.

cena wrote: »
    I used the 3G thing too pay last week. How much is the O2 thing.

Go to Google.ie and key in 'o2 money card'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you have a history of not paying the bills on time, then I would say that Sky are reasonably entitled to insist on a direct debit, in order to avoid any future unpaid bills.

The account holder needs to get on the phone with Sky and talk to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Hence the reference to Saorview, many in rural Ireland had little option but to take a Sky sub to access terrestrial TV. Skys exponential penetration in ROI owed much to the patchy reception of RTE/TV3 etc, an anomaly almost entirely now corrected by the roll-out of DTT.

If you're referring to Sky Sports, Discovery, History or suchlike, they account for a far lesser number than those who subscribed primarily as a means to access domestic television.
    Freesat is not a catch all alternative to Sky , even if its constantly bandied about as one.

Catch all? No. Viable alternative for many? Yes and in the context of the OP's difficulties, it's a valid suggestion as many folks simply aren't aware the option exists using their current hardware.
    Sky bashing is one of the cool trends on boards and all but still doesnt mean people dont want the stations they broadcast.

Sky bashing long pre-dates the existence of Boards.ie

95% of all content viewed in Ireland is broadcast free to air.

Folks have a choice, that's a good thing imo.

Final word on the matter, Consumer issues forum etc.

A combination of Saorview (free) and the free to air satelite channels is a definite option for mny people these days.

The number of free channels including all the main UK channels on the free satelite platform combined with the irish channels would probably suffice for a huge percentage of current sky viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭longpuck

Freesat is not a catch all alternative to Sky , even if its constantly bandied about as one. Sky bashing is one of the cool trends on boards and all but still doesnt mean people dont want the stations they broadcast.

Sky isn't the only thing people on hear like to bash....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Paulw wrote: »
    Sky terms and conditions - no direct debit, no service.

Your choices - open an account and setup a direct debit or else don't use Sky.

Simple really.

And yes, they can revoke service when you break the terms.

I have sky but no direct debit set up, its an issue with my bank so I pay monthly over the phone with my laser card. I do get cut off but only once this year and I paid up 5 mins after been cut off and was switched back on in a sec.
    Ps I know I'm paying extra for not having a dd set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hence the reference to Saorview, many in rural Ireland had little option but to take a Sky sub to access terrestrial TV. Skys exponential penetration in ROI owed much to the patchy reception of RTE/TV3 etc, an anomaly almost entirely now corrected by the roll-out of DTT.

This is not true. The majority of people were subscribing to Sky to get multichannel TV (primarily UK terrestrial stations).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

95% of all content viewed in Ireland is broadcast free to air.

Source???

Advertisement