Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco prices on display

• 30-07-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I was in Tesco in Castlebar yesterday and saw some nice ham on display for 18.30 euro a kilo at the deli counter. So i got the girl to cut me some and put it in my basket. A few minutes later i noticed that i had been charged 19.50 euro a kilo so i went back to the girl at the counter and pointed out the mistake. She looked at me as if i had a thousand heads and said " They must have forgotten to change the price this morning, and the correct price is the one you were charged." I told her that i had bought it because of the price advertised and she said there is only one euro in the difference . I asked if she could reduce the price to the one advertised but she said "no", so i left her with the ham and walked away. I went to a nearby butchers where i bought the ham for 16.90 a kilo.
    I was very dissapointed with the response in Tesco. So much for " Every little helps"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Don't Tesco have some sort of policy that if the price on the shelf doesn't match your receipt, they give you the product free or at the very least the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

As far as I know there is a legal obligation on retailers to display prices - by which I assume CORRECT prices. You should make a complaint to the Director of Consumer Affairs that the price was not displayed. It will punish them for the cavalier attitude they exhibited to your complaint: "they must have forgotten to change the price" indeed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

OP

Technically speaking you did not pay for the item,so you din't get rip off.

if you have paid for the item, which you did not, so you were not overcharged.

My2 cents

Ps Tesco's "No quibble Guarantee" would be another issue

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170028

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭beetlefan

OP

Technically speaking you did not pay for the item,so you din't get rip off.

if you have paid for the item, which you did not, so you were not overcharged.

My2 cents

Ps Tesco's "No quibble Guarantee" would be another issue

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170028
    you are correct, but i would feel like a prize %*%*" if i had spotted the rip off and went with it which is what alot of people would do. I wonder what did she do with the ham i left back, did she unpack it after it being in my trolley for 10 mins, and put it on display again?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

You should have bought the ham at the wrong price then gone to customer services to point out that you had been overcharged. They should then have given you a full refund and let you keep the ham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

In my local Centra there are major issues with mispricing,they won't give a receipt unless you asked for it so I don't shop there any longer for a few reasons.
    -spoke to a staff member,made her aware of the issue,left my phone number so the store Manager could contact me
    -this did not happen so the next time I was there I spoke to the man and raised my concerns(advertising a product at the wrong price)
    -During my next visit there I noticed that nothing was changed and still they were trying to overcharge me so I decided to send a letter to the Musgraves Group Head Office
    -They replied that is the franchisee responsibility to maintain the appropriate image that the parent company developed so basically they told me to feck off

I stopped shopping there:)

Ps the morale of the story- always check your receipt

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

nc6000 wrote: »
    You should have bought the ham at the wrong price then gone to customer services to point out that you had been overcharged. They should then have given you a full refund and let you keep the ham.

That was the old Tesco no quibble policy. They recently changed it to "double the amount of the overcharge"

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭beetlefan

nc6000 wrote: »
    If the girl at the deli counter didnt have the cop on to reduce the price when the mistake was pointed out, she must not have recieved much in the way of training or maybe company policy is to make it difficult so as people will just not bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

beetlefan wrote: »
    If the girl at the deli counter didnt have the cop on to reduce the price when the mistake was pointed out, she must not have recieved much in the way of training or maybe company policy is to make it difficult so as people will just not bother.

The girl on the deli probably doesn't have the authority to change the price as it is set by a back office system and changing the price on display can be missed as they often have to change 100s of items a day so it's easy to miss something. Technically, she could have unpacked it, taken off a slice, re-priced it and then put back in the extra slice. But by doing that she would risk disciplinary action. If you really wanted something done you should have gone to customer service and asked to speak to a manager but more than likely he would have backed up the girls stance in this situation.

The only thing from your story that it looks like the girl did wrong was not removing the incorrect pricing and replacing it with a temporary sign showing the correct price. Although she may have done this after you left.

As for what would have happened to the ham, as it was only 10 minutes it would probably have been unpacked and resold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

That was the old Tesco no quibble policy. They recently changed it to "double the amount of the overcharge"

have you seen anything to confirm that applies in Ireland, and not just UK.
    I've not seen anything in any of their stores or online to confirm it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

have you seen anything to confirm that applies in Ireland, and not just UK.
    I've not seen anything in any of their stores or online to confirm it

The new policy is displayed at the customer service desk in my local tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah it came into effect on the 30th of May.

By having the price on display she was trading illegally. She should have called a manager and got it sorted. Her manager should have trained her on pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Don't be so quick to blame the staff. They have very little margin for action, and most of the time there is no manager in sight. It's always best to take the matter to the customer service, where they can call a manager than ask the girl who can't leave her counter to go in search of one.

Even the customer service staff can't always sort it:
    I found an obvious error yesterday where 4 nectarines in a pack were marked '3.49 33% off" New price was 3.49. I've been buying them for the last two weeks at 2.33 (the initial price was 3.49 and there was a 33% off offer on). Apparently, the stickers had been changed and incorrectly typed. I brought it to the lady at CS, she said she couldn't do anything because the price was on the sticker, and on the computer. I acknoweldge it, what I am expecting from her is that she reports it to management (just in case, I also emailed Tesco). But I can't expect her to change the price for me

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Tesco seem to be pushing up a lot of their prices so there is probably a lot of signage knocking around with the lower prices still on them.

Looks like they are gearing up for a 'BIG BANG announcement' that they've dropped thousands of prices.....not telling us though that they increased them in advance.

Saw coverage of a 20% increase this morning: http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=ireland+news%3A+tesco+increase+meal+price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this sort of thing is on the rise I feel and it's mainly due to the effort of large sellers like Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu etc. in giving the customer an impression they are getting a good deal with all these price cuts and special offers.

I'm tempted to carry a feckin notepad with me in future so I can jot down the prices of the items in my trolley as I go and ensure I am charged the same price at the til. A simple addition of a 'Price' column on my shopping list will do the trick.

OK, I know it sounds a bit sad and bordering on paranoia but it's happening more and more. My local EuroSpar is the main offender, I can nearly pin point which items I'm going to be overcharged on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Tesco are the worst for overcharging, speaking from experience. I have to check my receipt every single time. Twice within the space of a week recently I went back with Wipes( overcharged) and wine( was supposed to be 2 for 10 euro). The girl asked do you still have the wine, I said no I drank 1 bottle!!!:D
    I am not sure what difference that would have made as I had the receipt anyway:rolleyes:

They did in fairness oblige me with their "double the difference" policy but took a lot of head scratching on their part to understand what went wrong with the wine mis charge.

It's just become a bit of a pain having to scrutinize every single receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭marrm

tweety76 wrote: »
    Tesco are the worst for overcharging, speaking from experience. I have to check my receipt every single time. Twice within the space of a week recently I went back with Wipes( overcharged) and wine( was supposed to be 2 for 10 euro). The girl asked do you still have the wine, I said no I drank 1 bottle!!!:D
    I am not sure what difference that would have made as I had the receipt anyway:rolleyes:

They did in fairness oblige me with their "double the difference" policy but took a lot of head scratching on their part to understand what went wrong with the wine mis charge.

It's just become a bit of a pain having to scrutinize every single receipt.

I love Tesco!! Why? Because of the misprices!! Nearly every time I shop there is an overcharge on the receipt and I get double the difference -

- today I got the "meal+side+desert for €7" - they charged me separately for each item - got double the difference back - €13.68! :D

- better still last week, bought "3 fruit items for €3", got over charged, ended up getting back more than I had paid for the items, ie they were free and I had cash in my pocket! :D:D:D

The only thing that REALLY p*sses me off is that after I point out the error and get my cash, they do nothing to fix the problem, so they go on ripping off the people who don't check their receipts. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

I was in Tesco in Castlebar yesterday and saw some nice ham on display for 18.30 euro a kilo at the deli counter. So i got the girl to cut me some and put it in my basket. A few minutes later i noticed that i had been charged 19.50 euro a kilo so i went back to the girl at the counter and pointed out the mistake. She looked at me as if i had a thousand heads and said " They must have forgotten to change the price this morning, and the correct price is the one you were charged." I told her that i had bought it because of the price advertised and she said there is only one euro in the difference . I asked if she could reduce the price to the one advertised but she said "no", so i left her with the ham and walked away. I went to a nearby butchers where i bought the ham for 16.90 a kilo.
    I was very dissapointed with the response in Tesco. So much for " Every little helps"

Did you complain to Tesco about the price disparity and about the staff member in question? If not:

customer.services@tesco.ie

(Your email goes through their U.K Office in case you are concerned that the Irish ones ignore your complaint). They will investigate and possibly demote the staff member in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

the thing that really gets me at tesco is that their special offer price signs are deliberately misleading

for example 2 weeks ago i bought a butternut squash (small size)- this was priced at €1.25 per item

last week i was there and they had a special offer on Butternut Squash for 65c

at the checkout i was charged 65c per kg

went back to look at the sign...top of sign in big writing had "SPECIAL OFFER" then a thin line

Bottom of theSign had 65 c in very large bold letters (also below a thin line)

in between the lines, there was a small, faded (dont know how it was faded- i reckon its the way it was printed) "per kg"

to me this was a deliberate attempt to mislead customers to think the price was 65c per item (regardless of the fact it was priced per item the previous week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

You did the right thing not buying it. But do NOT buy from Tesco. They treat Irish consumers like **** with high prices.

• Advertisement

Skopzz wrote: »
    You did the right thing not buying it. But do NOT buy from Tesco. They treat Irish consumers like **** with high prices.

Yeah, buy in Super Value and Super Quinn instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Have been overcharged on the special offers three times now from SuperValu store in Bantry.
    Manager not very bothered and says we need to check our receipts.
    now isnt that nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

I've seen this type of thing happen so often at Tesco that I can't believe it's accidental; it must be quite profitable for them. When something is displayed with a very attractive price, how many people will actually check that they paid that price for it? I avoid shopping there mainly for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A word of caution here for all consumers :

Remember that all retailers , buy from wholesalers - and the margin is quite small :

example : item costing 3.19e at wholesalers can retail at 3.96e

Taking vat into acount it leaves quite a small profit.

In the majority of instances , it is the Supplier that gains the most profit .

Remember that all retailers , buy from wholesalers - and the margin is quite small :

What has this got to do with supermarkets leaving it up to customers to themselves check that they have not been overcharged and who appear to have a system of overcharging against advertised prices?
    Having been overcharged three times in a row from a supermarket, the question must be ; do supermarkets have a strategy of making profit through miss-selling?
    We need to be aware of the likelihood of supermarket overcharging and to report overcharging when it occurs rather than just meeting the cost (usually travel costs) of getting our money back and keeping quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Not true. The retailer may make a lesser profit per item in some instances, but rely on multiples of these lesser profits to make obscene overall profits.
    Why do you think that none of the major multiples operating in Ireland refuse to release details of profits made here? They are ashamed to admit how much they are ripping us off.:mad:
    And in many cases, the advertising of special offers or price cuts not reflected in the tills is deliberate. It is, simply fraud that they frequently get away with by people not noticing, or when challenged giving a refund to the small percentage of people who challenge them.
    If it is brought to the attention of the authorities they meerly apologise and claim it was an oversight, ot the offers were put up before the computers were updated, or it was human error or..........
    Anything but admit it is deliberate.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

AND you arguement does not explain why most foodstuffs sold at farmers markets and the like are at least as expensive as they are in the supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

skafish wrote: »
    Not true. The retailer may make a lesser profit per item in some instances, but rely on multiples of these lesser profits to make obscene overall profits.
    Why do you think that none of the major multiples operating in Ireland refuse to release details of profits made here? They are ashamed to admit how much they are ripping us off.:mad:
    And in many cases, the advertising of special offers or price cuts not reflected in the tills is deliberate. It is, simply fraud that they frequently get away with by people not noticing, or when challenged giving a refund to the small percentage of people who challenge them.
    If it is brought to the attention of the authorities they meerly apologise and claim it was an oversight, ot the offers were put up before the computers were updated, or it was human error or..........
    Anything but admit it is deliberate.:mad:

to answer some of your questions

the only retailer in ireland that should release their profits is Tesco however they have their irish arm as an extension to their uk business so the figures get released as one big figure. Dunnes is operated as a trust and ther rest are private limited companies and as such are not obliged under any law to release their profits as they are not owned by public shares and do not need to say anything to boost their share price etc.

the profit made by a retailer is calculated as margin based on the selling price as a percentage. no matter how many of one item you sell the profit margin remains the same. yes the profit value is greater the more you sell but is that not the business they are in?

I have worked with every major retailer at every level and I can assure you that no weekly meeting takes place to decide what products are going to be sold as a con to customers. there are however genunine mistakes made by people and as soon as they are pointed out they are righted. correct it is a pain in the butt and the customer should not be the one doing the job of the shop assistants.

however at my end of the job if something was priced incorrectly you will find that the price it was sold at is the actual price it should have been sold at. Retailers have to keep some serious amount of paperwork to show prices moves for promos etc so if the consumer group wanted to check something out we have a paper trail to prove that the retailer correctly priced an item but the display price was never changed or incorrectly priced and that is human error. thats why consumers groups know there is no good to come from beating that drum.

i know you dont know me but i have posted here for years and have spent 15 years of my life in retail, there is no deliberate attempt to screw consumers by retailers over false or misleading pricings. there are people who work in the industry who dont give a dam if you have been overcharged and those who dont investigate errors when pointed out and those who just dont do their job right but there are thousands who work in the retail sector who day in day out deal with issues like this and many more who do their job right and to the best of their ability.

As for your questions about farmers. dont get me started.

As above^^^^

Mistakes do happen, especially when item are displayed in 2 or 3 places. The person changing the price has to enter on a hand held computer whether they have displayed the new price, but it the item is displayed in another place and this is not checked, you have an overcharge.

Overcharges are a performance indicator of a managers department, if they keep happening its a reflection on a managers ability to run the department.

• Advertisement

A good deal going at Teso Wilton Cork - they are overcharing at the till on 2 pkts of Bassetts Allsorts (sweets) advertised at 2 for €2.50. When you get the double refund deal you get €3 back and they cost you 50 cents each. Check it out if you can.

Advertisement