Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco prices on display

2»

Comments

Its laughable that Tesco get fined for such a small percentage of mistakes when SV franchises are truely awful.
    My store is open 24 hours. Say 200 items change at midnight, do they expect 200 staff to stand there ready to switch each label at the stroke of midnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are staff deliberately leaving wrong prices on the shelves so their friends and family can fill up and get double the difference afterwards?

I dont think so, it is traceable to the person who changed the price. If a wrong SEL is discovered, you can trace this down to the person who changed the price, or who entered the price on the hand held computer as changed.

Usually a staff member getting a 'double the difference' would be highly unusual and frowned upon. A refund would be more lightly.

If something is reduced in your section, you'd know about it straight away, like the kitchen roll that was reduced to clear, if the person is finished their shift, I see no problem with them buying whats on the shelf.

Now, mis-priced is different, its up to the manager to ensure these items are removed from sale and rang into the helpdesk.

But then again, store seem to be run differently around the country. Its all in the handbook, some store just seem to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Its laughable that Tesco get fined for such a small percentage of mistakes when SV franchises are truely awful.

It seems that people spend so much time sticking it to Tesco, and reporting them at every available opportunity, the antics of the SV franchises slip through the net.

I hear plenty people complaining about SV in public, but none of them seem to take it any further. If there are any offers on in our local SV, you have to examine the receipt in fine detail, because the chances are that some of the offers on display haven't been input into the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

My store is open 24 hours. Say 200 items change at midnight, do they expect 200 staff to stand there ready to switch each label at the stroke of midnight?
    I agree with the SV part but for the record tesco don't have to action price changes at midnight. Price increases should be displayed at shelf before they go live on tills (before midnight), price decreases should be displayed after prices go live. If this is done properly very little should go wrong.

The main issue tesco have is products that are in multiple locations in the shop. The system thinks there is only one location, the price gets changed at one location, and the system considers the price change to be complete.... that is until Mr or Mrs Boards.ie comes in and finds it somewhere else... :pac:
    In a nutshell its usually a system failure or human error, although the conspiracy theorys in this thread are more entertaining, tescos deliberate attempts to mislead customers and these renegade staff who are sabotaging the prices on purpose, :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

TonyStark wrote: »
    I saw a staff member in a Maynooth with an entire trolley of kitchen paper.. I remember thinking that was a lot of kitchen paper. Nothing else in the trolley.
    I know a few staff members of tesco locally, who bought brand new garmin sat nav , new model ones for €60 when they were €105 everywhere else. All the staff had taken them before they hit the shelf , it emerged a few days later it was a massive misprice , amazing how none of the staff reported it till they bought them all !!!!

Same happend with slabs of budweiser cans, an entire pallet came in at a ridiculous price and they didnt even make it out onto the floor .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

gobo99 wrote: »
    In a nutshell its usually a system failure or human error, although the conspiracy theorys in this thread are more entertaining, tescos deliberate attempts to mislead customers and these renegade staff who are sabotaging the prices on purpose, :pac:

So you do not believe Tesco deliberately mislead customers? I beg to differ. When I have been charged the wrong price it has always been an overcharge never under. In some instances I felt it was pure deceit on their part, or they employ ultra ineffecient staff.

Mo60 wrote: »
    So you do not believe Tesco deliberately mislead customers? I beg to differ. When I have been charged the wrong price it has always been an overcharge never under. In some instances I felt it was pure deceit on their part, or they employ ultra ineffecient staff.

Never getting undercharged is almost impossible. People do get undercharged on items all the time, even more than overcharges.

There is systems in place to avoid overcharges in every tesco store. Every overcharge is logged and the amount of overcharges is a KPI for managers. There is no incentive to overcharge as it just makes them look bad.
    If there is alot of overcharges its because of weak management in the store, but it isn't done on purpose.

Never getting undercharged is almost impossible. People do get undercharged on items all the time, even more than overcharges.

There is systems in place to avoid overcharges in every tesco store. Every overcharge is logged and the amount of overcharges is a KPI for managers. There is no incentive to overcharge as it just makes them look bad.
    If there is alot of overcharges its because of weak management in the store, but it isn't done on purpose.

Not impossible in my case, where do you get the undercharge figures?

Every overcharge logged? Maybe that explains why an assistant manager changed a price ticket when I went to customer service.

I bought two bottles of wine marked at half price. On checking my receipt I found that I had been charged full price. Before I went to customer service I checked the price marked on the shelf. The assistant manager seemed to take forever in checking the price and then came back and said the correct full price was marked on the shelf. He showed me this and as I had already checked it I can only presume he had just changed it himself.
    I walked away in disgust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Every overcharge logged? Maybe that explains why an assistant manager changed a price ticket when I went to customer service.

I bought two bottles of wine marked at half price. On checking my receipt I found that I had been charged full price. Before I went to customer service I checked the price marked on the shelf. The assistant manager seemed to take forever in checking the price and then came back and said the correct full price was marked on the shelf. He showed me this and as I had already checked it I can only presume he had just changed it himself.

Customers do make mistakes as well.

• Advertisement

Take a 24hr shop for example that has 500 price increases and 500 price decreases that go live at tills at midnight.

They change all the labels at the shelf for increases before midnight. Anyone that picks up a product after the labels have been changed but puts it through the tills before midnight gets undercharged.

After midnight they put up new shelf labels for decreases. Any customer that picks up one of these products at 12.05am will see the old higher price at shelf but pay the lower price at the tills.

That's potentially 1000s of undercharges every day. A well run store would have between 0-5 overcharges a day.

This is an example of crap managers, too lazy to do their job properly so try to cover their tracks. Go to tescocomments.com to make a complaint and then vote with your feet. You cant move for all the tescos around these days so if you must go to one, go to a well run one.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Customers do make mistakes as well.

Not in this case.

I agree with the SV part but for the record tesco don't have to action price changes at midnight. Price increases should be displayed at shelf before they go live on tills (before midnight), price decreases should be displayed after prices go live. If this is done properly very little should go wrong.

The main issue tesco have is products that are in multiple locations in the shop. The system thinks there is only one location, the price gets changed at one location, and the system considers the price change to be complete.... that is until Mr or Mrs Boards.ie comes in and finds it somewhere else... :pac:

I know they don't have to change at the stroke of midnight but to quote the article..... She said the “requirement on traders to ensure that products are accurately priced has never been more important than in the current economic environment and enables hard-pressed consumers to have advance knowledge of the price being charged”.
    Updating the prices before midnight still makes them inaccurate, allbeit in the consumers favour

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Take a 24hr shop for example that has 500 price increases and 500 price decreases that go live at tills at midnight.

They change all the labels at the shelf for increases before midnight. Anyone that picks up a product after the labels have been changed but puts it through the tills before midnight gets undercharged.

After midnight they put up new shelf labels for decreases. Any customer that picks up one of these products at 12.05am will see the old higher price at shelf but pay the lower price at the tills.

That's potentially 1000s of undercharges every day. A well run store would have between 0-5 overcharges a day.

This is an example of crap managers, too lazy to do their job properly so try to cover their tracks. Go to tescocomments.com to make a complaint and then vote with your feet. You cant move for all the tescos around these days so if you must go to one, go to a well run one.

I have a question for you , GOBO99: do you work for tecso, or on of the other multiples?
    Just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

skafish wrote: »
    I have a question for you , GOBO99: do you work for tecso, or on of the other multiples?
    Just curious

Can you imagine if everyone had to declare their work experience, belief system or other personal details and how much stereotyping would follow because of inbuilt prejudices.
    I hope you do not get an answer to your question for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

My wife had to go to customer services at Mahon Point Tesco Cork to query why we had not got the discount advertised on the shelf. She was told some bull**** about the product pricing in advance and that that price had'nt yet kicked in etc. I then joined her and asked the customer services staff to repeat the reason for refusal to refund the overcharge against the price advertised on the display. They quickly reversed their decision and refunded the €1.68 which was the difference and I was just did not raise the issue of double the refund which appears to be the Tesco policy in other stores.
    I guess the number of overpricings had got to senior management and no doubt staff have been called in to get their fingers out. The way they can do that is to deny refund of overcharges on the unsuspecting public so its good that we have this means of information. I'm for consumer power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I bought the meal deal for 12 euro last week, checked receipt meal deal was itemised on receipt "meal e12 deal".......15.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

deelite wrote: »
    I bought the meal deal for 12 euro last week, checked receipt meal deal was itemised on receipt "meal e12 deal".......15.95.

How many other people bought the same thing without checking the reeipt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Should have said '€12 meal deal -€15.95'

Are you sure it wasnt that, if not you should have gotten double the difference between the items that was scanning at the wrong price and €12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Should have said '€12 meal deal -€15.95'

Are you sure it wasnt that, if not you should have gotten double the difference between the items that was scanning at the wrong price and €12.

No I'd bought one or two other items and knew that the total price would have come out just under 15 euro - but I was charged 15.95 plus the amount for the other 2 items. After queuing and waiting for a manager to come (10 mins or so) I just wanted to go home and eat - I got 3.95 back from customer service I hadn't got the heart or the energy to discuss the double the difference I was drained.

Advertisement