Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the difference between hot and cold water for cooking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

worded wrote: »
    In this article they say dont use hot water for cooking as there is a lead
    fear. Is there any grounds for this in Ireland?

http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/08/21/lead-paint-and-compassionate-conservatism/
    Depends how old the plumbing is in your house. Personally I would only use the hot tap in the kitchen for the washing up, nothing else, but that's due to the condition of my water tank.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hot water reacts with your plumbing system more than cold does. About 20% of my buildings pipes are lead. I have no idea of what the ones are that bring the water to the building but cooking with hot water is something that I would never, ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cold water in the kitchen is "potable water". This means safe to drink. Water that has been sloshing around your plumbing (have you ever looked into your storage tank in the attic?) is not "potable", though it's probably safe to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Meh. I've been drinking out of the upstairs taps my whole life and it hasn't killed me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

do you not notice the difference in taste?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Meh. I've been drinking out of the upstairs taps my whole life and it hasn't killed me yet.

I wouldn't recommend it. I have found many a thing in a water tank, including a squirrel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

All the water that comes into your house is the same water, i.e. Drinkable mains water. What happens when it goes into your house is that a branch is taken off the main branch and goes straight to the cold water tap in your kitchen. This is drinkable mains water straight from the mains supply. You'll also notice that the pressure is generally quite high from this tap.

Another branch is taken from the mains and goes up to the cold water storage tank in your attic. This tank then feeds all the other taps (hot & cold) in your house. The cold water taps will be fed direct from the cold water tank and the hot taps will be fed from the storage tank to the hot water cylinder (usually in the hot press) where it is heated and then fed direct to the hot taps.

It's the water sitting around in the various hot and cold water tanks/heaters that makes it unwise to drink.

Advertisement