Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Study/After School Study

• 30-07-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hello ! ;)
    Are there any people who did evening study or after school study (whatever you want to call it) ? Do you think it is beneficial ? I'm going into 6th year in september and I need high points so I was thinking of doing this study to increase my chances of getting high points. Did you actually study there or did you do your homework and than study at home ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

didnt really find it helpful, kinda distracting being around friends, you can study what you want in there, but the coming home late around 7 didnt suit me, just didnt find it helpful found at home better, but everyones different:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Yeah I think that when I will be surrounded by friends I will find it distracting but on the other hand I get distracted at home by my laptop/tv/phone etc and I can't just turn them off... well i can turn of TV and phone but I often use my laptop for my homework..

i was exactly the same:p, but you could give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how it fairs out for you it could be grand, and if it doesnt work just quit. I just couldnt handle going home on a cold,wet,dark November Monday evening at 7 :p, but theres no harm in trying:)

But it cost over 100e I think nearly 200 in my school so my parents wouldn't pay that much and after that I would just quit ;) well i can do that if i will know that the school will give me money back

angela1711 wrote: »
    But it cost over 100e I think nearly 200 in my school so my parents wouldn't pay that much and after that I would just quit ;) well i can do that if i will know that the school will give me money back

ours was 100, but if we quit we got half back

• Advertisement

and it didn't matter if you quiet after a week or a month or whatever ? you still got half of the money back ?

and it didn't matter if you quiet after a week or a month or whatever ? you still got half of the money back ?

no it didnt matter when you quit, if it was even after a day, but its different in every school obviously, your school might or mightnot give the money back, but theyll tell you what you rules are anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I did it and I found it really helpful, but that was probably only because I am a terrible procrastinator and if I was left to study at home I'd do nothing. Being around other people who were studying seemed to motivate me a bit. I was lucky in that the place I did it was really strict about no talking, and they actually made sure you were studying or doing homework, not just sittting there and doodling.
    Where I went was run by an external company and had students from lots of different schools, I actually made some good friends out of it.
    If you think it will help you, go for it! :)

Are all the people actually do something there ? Or are there few who sits there and do nothing but distracting others ? I don't want to go there and only listen to those who wasting their time there...

Are all the people actually do something there ? Or are there few who sits there and do nothing but distracting others ? I don't want to go there and only listen to those who wasting their time there...

them people usually wont last there long theyll be thrown out, no school would tolerate those kind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Well where I went was quite strict, they wouldn't put up with people distracting others, but obviously you're gonna get people who just sit and stare into space. Whoever supervises your study should (hopefully) discipline any time wasters. There might be a few messers at the start but generally these people will either quit or cop on after a while.
    Do you know anybody who has done it in the place you're going to that you could ask what it's like?

Yes, I know a few people I asked them what they generally think about it and they said it's brilliant but they are people who are very good at study anyway and we didn't go in much detail in the topic I think i will ask teachers and get more details how it is organised, and how they deal with time wasters etc

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I did it the whole year. It cost €250. Up until Christmas i was only in two days a week due to training and other activities... but after that it was good as i was in 4-5 days a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I did it throughout 6th year. It ran for two hours (until 6pm), but I found that all I ever got done was my homework. That in itself was a bonus though, because it meant that I could leave any time I had after that to study alone. Some evenings it's a pain arriving home at 6.20, especially when it's dark during the winter, but I found it very useful.

I do think it depends on the person though. Some people spent a lot of the time looking round the room and scribbling, while others didn't look up for the full two hours.

I want to go there mainly to have all of my homework complete and maybe bits of study done and than go home without thinking that i have to do study and homework ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

in my school study for 6th years didnt finish till 9 i did it for two weeks and quit i found it easier to study at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I thinking about doing it just for having a proper routine, but at the same time my house has free access to tea and biscuits while studying so thats a distinct advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Study in my school used to go from 5:15 until 7, 8 or 8:30.

You basically could leave at any of the aforementioned times. I found it great, especially if I was ever stuck with something, I could ask for help off of my classmates.

If you want to go there to mess around and do nothing, your loss, you could do the same at home.

I think in my school everyone finish study at the same time. There is not staying up to 8 or 6.30 and I think it will make things easier for me because it will be just a routine to go there and than get the rest done at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I did it for a few months and I hated it. It just wasn't for me. I'd be wrecked after the school day and then have to dread staying behind for study. The next term, I just started studying and doing my homework at home and I found it a lot less stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I did it all year but usually just got my homework done. It was from 4-6 but I often got distracted and started writing notes to friends (sometimes I wonder about myself! :P) or reading the CAO handbook. Worse was if I sat beside a friend... 2 hour bítch fest! :P

If you promise yourself that you'll work for the 2 hours then I would definitely do it.

After Easter I lost any sort of motivation that I had and didn't go (sat in the central area with friends and talked!), worst thing I probably ever did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I thinking about doing it just for having a proper routine, but at the same time my house has free access to tea and biscuits while studying so thats a distinct advantage.

Same here. And i won't get to have my dinner till later. I'll be starving :rolleyes:.. Somehow I think I'll study better at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Tea and biscuits is just an unnecessary distraction tbh

Probably...but they're a yummy distraction. I should probably do study just on the basis of stopping me spending an hour and a half messing at home before I get down to any actual work. I'm also not someone who is capable of working past 9 o'clock, so I have to start early, or else get up early like I hear some people doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

If you're worried about being distracted by friends do what I did. Sit right in the very top corner. Students are still drawn to sitting closer to the back so there's likely to be less distractions. You'll also only be able to talk to people by fully turning around so you'll be caught by the supervisor. It helped me anyway. I loved Evening Study. I started off being one of the people who jus sat there staring at the wall. I ended up being one of those people working until the last few seconds and wishing I was there longer!

I'm lucky because I live like 5 min walk distance from school ;) so when I finish school at 4 and evening study begins at 4.30 I can still go home and eat my dinner so i'm not gonna to be starving ;) and this is a good idea to sit in the front of the room but i actually prefer to sit on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Capricorn93

I did study in school for some of the year because it can be quite noisy at my house and found it ok. I usually got most of my homework done which was good, but that was about it. I didn't do any study there.
    Saying that it kept me on top of most my homework, which never really happened before in 5th year!:rolleyes: And it also left me with more time for revision and study later on into the year.
    But in some schools study can be quite expensive(our's was free), and with friends around and stuff it can be quite distracting, so maybe take those factors into consideration aswell.
    Overall if you're motivated and want to do well (and you sound like you do) I think it doesn't really matter where you study.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

My school does it 4-6 and they're quite strict regards missing it or "mitching" and ask for your absentee note.
    I've never done it, but after doing SFA in 5th year I am definately joining upto it first thing when I go back to school. I don't think I'll do it during it during extreme winter months as I often have to walk home, don't fancy walking home in the rain in pitch dark in December :D

I don't even want to think about it being pitch dark at 6 :(

• Advertisement

I will kill myself if i come back to school in september and there will be beautiful sun outside :(

Advertisement