Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding -lime

• 30-07-2011 9:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

going reseeding a field in a weeks time. im after burning it off. i was thinking that two rubs of the power harrow might be sufficient as the land is flat out. anyway looking at the soil report it says i should spread 1.5 tonne of lime to the acre. there is six acres in the paddock. so thats 9 tonne of lime. is the granular lime concentrated more that you wouldnt need as much. wondering between this granular lime and the quarry stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

going reseeding a field in a weeks time. im after burning it off. i was thinking that two rubs of the power harrow might be sufficient as the land is flat out. anyway looking at the soil report it says i should spread 1.5 tonne of lime to the acre. there is six acres in the paddock. so thats 9 tonne of lime. is the granular lime concentrated more that you wouldnt need as much. wondering between this granular lime and the quarry stuff.

use the quarry lime, it will help break down any of the old dead grass. would always spread 1t/ac on reseeds even if not required, or the required amount
    bagged stuff is only a quick fix at the time of spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ripa

I'm planning on resseding 4 acres of land reclaimed in 1985. We cut it for round bales to bare it, plan to spray it when it greens up in 4-5 days , spread 2-3000 gls of slurry , 2 ton of lime then power harrow this in , spread the seed, fertilie with 2 bags of 10-10 -20 & roll. My concern is that the ground while flat is very stoney and that the power harrow may fail. Any advise on what I should do if this happens, was thinking of just scratching the surface with either a pin harrow or a triple k....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

ripa wrote: »
    I'm planning on resseding 4 acres of land reclaimed in 1985. We cut it for round bales to bare it, plan to spray it when it greens up in 4-5 days , spread 2-3000 gls of slurry , 2 ton of lime then power harrow this in , spread the seed, fertilie with 2 bags of 10-10 -20 & roll. My concern is that the ground while flat is very stoney and that the power harrow may fail. Any advise on what I should do if this happens, was thinking of just scratching the surface with either a pin harrow or a triple k....

Get someone with a direct drill and then you would be shifting any stones. finding a direct drill mightnt be the easiest though depending on your location

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭jmurf100

I hope im not hijacking the thread, but I reseeded 4 acres there a week ago and am undecided what to do with the first crop of grass. I dont want to make silage of it, and its not fenced good enough for sheep, im reluctant to put cattle on it straight away either. What other options do I have??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

use the quarry lime as it has immediat and resudial effects
    granular lime will have to be applied on a yearly basis although the quantities are reduced
    there is a small piece on it in the farming indo this week - worth a read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

jmurf100 wrote: »
    I hope im not hijacking the thread, but I reseeded 4 acres there a week ago and am undecided what to do with the first crop of grass. I dont want to make silage of it, and its not fenced good enough for sheep, im reluctant to put cattle on it straight away either. What other options do I have??

graze it at 6-10 weeks preferably in blocks with as many cattle (dairy/suckler cows, cattle) in the least number of days, borrow some if have none.

Advertisement