Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade marshmallow fluff, without the raw eggs?

Options
  • 30-07-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've wanted to make homemade marshmallow fluff for a long time, and decided I'd finally do it today. However after reading numerous recipes online it seems one of it's main ingredients is raw eggs, raw eggs that stay raw! A load of different people have posted recipes online for this marshmallow fluff using raw egg whites, so it seems as if it should be safe to use? I don't feel like chancing it though. Does anyone have any idea what I could use as a substitute for raw egg whites? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Is there a particular reason you want to stay away from raw egg whites? The whites are to make it light and give it volume, you can buy pasteurised egg whites in Dunnes Stores, might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Marshmallow is simply Italian meringue with the addition of gelatine. Looking at this recipe for Marshmallow Fluff, it's instead a French meringue, no gelatine, but lots of corn syrup - this amount of corn syrup replaces the gelatine's role to provide body and texture, but not as much structure. Which makes sense, as it's made to be spreadable.

As Acoshla said, you can get the Two Chicks brand of pasteurised egg whites in Dunnes Stores. Also, if you're in Dublin city centre, the Oriental Emporium at the Jervis St. LUAS stop and the Asia Market on Drury St. both sell a Korean brand of corn syrup, €3.20-ish for 1 litre, which is perfect for this application (they normally use it for BBQ sauce).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Exuberant

Thanks so much for the information! :) I just wanted to know if there was a way to avoid using egg whites because I was worried about eating them raw, worried if salmonella would be an issue! Thanks very much for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Hi, I made a S'More Pie yesterday using a marshmallow fluff of sorts. It involves cooking the mixture over a bain marie.

The recipe and pictures are on my blog ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I make it from raw egg and never had a problem, as said if worried try the chick one. There's so much golden syrup in it I'd be more worried about getting the sugar shakes lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Here is a recipe for homemade marshmallow icing from an Amish Cookbook that I use all the time. I pipe in into cupcakes, so yum :)

1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    Pinch of salt
    1 egg white
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix sugar, water and salt together in a small sauce pan over a low heat, stirring until sugar is disolved. Beat egg white until stiff peaks are formed. Continue beating the egg while pouring the hot syrup into it in a steady thin stream. After all the syrup is added continue beating until very thick and rounded peaks form.

This tastes exactly like the inside of a chocolate snowball! You could also add 2 tablespoons of chocolate to the warm icing to make choc icing, or to colour it add strawberry, raspberry or cranberry juice for a pink shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Exuberant

trackguy wrote: »
    Hi, I made a S'More Pie yesterday using a marshmallow fluff of sorts. It involves cooking the mixture over a bain marie.

The recipe and pictures are on my blog ;)

Wow!! :O That S'More pie looks delicious! I'll have to try it sometime! Great blog as well by the way, and thanks so much :)
    I make it from raw egg and never had a problem, as said if worried try the chick one. There's so much golden syrup in it I'd be more worried about getting the sugar shakes lol.

Haha thanks very much I might try it out!
    carleigh wrote: »
    Here is a recipe for homemade marshmallow icing from an Amish Cookbook that I use all the time. I pipe in into cupcakes, so yum :)

1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    Pinch of salt
    1 egg white
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix sugar, water and salt together in a small sauce pan over a low heat, stirring until sugar is disolved. Beat egg white until stiff peaks are formed. Continue beating the egg while pouring the hot syrup into it in a steady thin stream. After all the syrup is added continue beating until very thick and rounded peaks form.

This tastes exactly like the inside of a chocolate snowball! You could also add 2 tablespoons of chocolate to the warm icing to make choc icing, or to colour it add strawberry, raspberry or cranberry juice for a pink shade.

Mmm that recipe sounds good too! Thanks a million, I'll have to get experimenting :)

Advertisement