Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park n' Ride? Try Pay n' Pee!

Options
  • 30-07-2011 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Haven't been in town much lately so maybe it's not that new, but was in today and have noticed the Eyre Square Centre has installed a new Queuing system to pay for and use the loo! :rolleyes:

The old way just had a coin machine to pay as ya went in. I know it wasn't right but a lot usually just waited until someone came out and then went in without paying lol but it's a bloody bathroom for God's Sake!!!

With the new system, everyone individually has to pay to go or else ya don't get in lol (unless ya jump over??)

I know it's only 20cent or something but even so, even if it's 5cent lol, I just don't agree with having to pay to go to the toilet there! We're already handing over our money to the shops. Plus it's such hassle with bags etc., having to fish out / go get change to pay! Okay I do see that any system would need to be up-kept and maintained fair enough but not outta our pockets to pay to go to the toilet like!!! Like I have no problem with the Portaloos near The Skeff requiring us to pay the 30/50cent or whatever it is, as that is an extra facility really. But an Establishment / Shopping Mall may feel it professional or customer-friendly etc. to install toilets for our use, and I know every god-damn thing has to be paid for nowadays I know lol! But, i.m.o. it's a bit too expectant and in total bad taste to expect us to pay to use the toilet. They obviously feel there's money to be made outta this "racket" of getting us to pay, as I'm sure the new set-up cost a fair bit to install in the first place lol! Plus, if all those shops were just pretty much stand-alone Units I reckon Dunnes would somehow somewhere come up with Toilets for us to use for free, but no, Eyre Square Centre has to make us pay to go, which I don't agree with at all ....

/Rant
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I just wear a nappy to bypass this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Are you happy in your nappy??!!
    ;):p:)

If you are clap your hands .......
    :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

At least now that their paying someone to sit there they can give some justification for having the charge in the first place.

Bottom line is if you don't like it stop going there and stop spending your money in the shops there. It's pretty easy to do it's not like there's anything all that great in there that you can't find somewhere else in a place that's easier to get to, has free parking and doesn't charge you to carry out an essential bodily function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Are you happy in your nappy??!!
    ;):p:)

If you are clap your hands .......
    :D;)

Very ;) Might be out of them next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Most cities have done away / almost done away with public toilet as they are just not maintained properly or are too dangerous due to drug addicts using them.

Dublin seems to have none.
    Cork only has a weird automatic toilet system on Grand Parade. I don't think here are any others in the entire city.

I'm amazed Galway still has such a "convenience"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Everyone knows you go to Supermacs to use their free facilities!
    Solair wrote: »
    Most cities have done away / almost done away with public toilet as they are just not maintained properly or are too dangerous due to drug addicts using them.

Cork only has a weird automatic toilet system on Grand Parade. I don't think here are any others in the entire city.

There's turnstiles in Heuston Station in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Solair wrote: »

Every shopping centre I've been in in Dublin has public toilets.

I actually wonder is it legal for the Eyre Sq Centre to charge for the toilets? There's 5 restaurants and cafes in the center and I thought that if you were selling food you had to provide a free toilet. Isn't that why there was so much fuss when Ryanair wanted to charge people to use the toilet in-flight? Iirc they were told that if they wanted to charge for the toilet they would have to stop serving food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

moonflower wrote: »
    Every shopping centre I've been in in Dublin has public toilets.

I actually wonder is it legal for the Eyre Sq Centre to charge for the toilets? There's 5 restaurants and cafes in the center and I thought that if you were selling food you had to provide a free toilet. Isn't that why there was so much fuss when Ryanair wanted to charge people to use the toilet in-flight? Iirc they were told that if they wanted to charge for the toilet they would have to stop serving food.
    Never been to the Stephens Green centre so i see.

As for the op, they are not required to offer a toilet, so therefore they can charge what they like and rightly so. People clean the toilets so they need to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

As for the op, they are not required to offer a toilet, so therefore they can charge what they like and rightly so. People clean the toilets so they need to be paid.

I've used a loo in there, in a shop, maybe Dunnes? But I was with an older person, so maybe they made an exception.

I think if you have proof of purchase from some place in the shopping centre, they should let you use the loo for free. Otherwise pay 20c
    Anywhere that serves food in the centre, or drink, that's not a 'newsagents' type thing should provide a loo collectively.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I've used a loo in there, in a shop, maybe Dunnes? But I was with an older person, so maybe they made an exception.

I think if you have proof of purchase from some place in the shopping centre, they should let you use the loo for free. Otherwise pay 20c
    Anywhere that serves food in the centre, or drink, that's not a 'newsagents' type thing should provide a loo collectively.
    But sure they only rent pre-fitted units, if the units aren't equipped with plumbing etc then they can't and as there are toilets in the centre then they aren't likely to anything.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »

But sure they only rent pre-fitted units, if the units aren't equipped with plumbing etc then they can't and as there are toilets in the centre then they aren't likely to anything.

That's my point. The communal loo in the centre should be at least paritally subsidsed by their rent - and proof of purchase used if they are being pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

moonflower wrote: »

It's only a legal requirement for places that have on-license alcohol sales. Cafes, supermarkets etc are not required to provide 'em, though some choose to for customer service reasons.

I don't believe that the Eyre Square centre ones (anyway) should be free: many of the people who use them are not customers, and why should the rent of the jewellers, newsagent, clothing shops, etc pay for your toileting pleasure.

I do believe that the council should be responsible for providing a minimum level of public toilets - and I do believe they need to be pay-and-pee, because otherwise they're just abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Eh, Stephen's Green has public toilets...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

The public toilets in Stephen's Green Centre were "pee as you go" at a rate of 50c a time when I was last there.

There is a very clean, free public toilet the Galway branch of TK Maxx on the first floor, FYI!

Inky_Lady wrote: »
    The public toilets in Stephen's Green Centre were "pee as you go" at a rate of 50c a time when I was last there.

There is a very clean, free public toilet the Galway branch of TK Maxx on the first floor, FYI!

How about a 'pee what you can' system?

:p

Ok, obviously too delirious with the end of race week. I should go to bed...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Inky_Lady wrote: »

Yep.

They're also up on the top floor, and half way down the balcony on the right. Thw most awkward location possible.:(

Not that the ones in Eyre Square centre are conveniantly located either. Tucked away as they are down by the back door.

I just use the Skeff. :o

xo.mary wrote: »
    Eh, Stephen's Green has public toilets...
    ..........that you pay to use!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

One of the oddest things I've heard in a while, plenty of public bathrooms here in Limerick thankfully. Although I'm nearly sure I remember one of those pay toilets being down on Henry St. years ago not sure if it's still there though.

I personally don't think shoppers should have to pay to go to the toilet, at the end of the day isn't a day out shopping costly enough, paying for parking out the nose, if your not lucky plastic bags, and your more than likely to be caught by a hawker atleast once. FFS is it not too much to ask for a complimentary toilet.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    One of the oddest things I've heard in a while, plenty of public bathrooms here in Limerick thankfully. Although I'm nearly sure I remember one of those pay toilets being down on Henry St. years ago not sure if it's still there though.

I personally don't think shoppers should have to pay to go to the toilet, at the end of the day isn't a day out shopping costly enough, paying for parking out the nose, if your not lucky plastic bags, and your more than likely to be caught by a hawker atleast once. FFS is it not too much to ask for a complimentary toilet.
    Yeah and next thing you go to the till and they expect you to pay for the stuff you have chosen,jees those greedy shops!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Yeah and next thing you go to the till and they expect you to pay for the stuff you have chosen,jees those greedy shops!! :rolleyes:
    Ah now come on you know what I mean, I just think that certain things should be complementary, not every single thing in this country needs to have a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Problem is, lots of people who would use the Eyre Square Centre aren't actually shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Heuston station has done away with the turnstiles so you can just walk into the toilets there now. I was in Dublin last month and we went to St Stephens Green. There was a sign stating the fee for the toilets, but there was no one outside collecting the money and the box was near the wall so most people were just walking in.

I guess can kind of see in a way how making it somewhat official to some extent would possibly obliterate any illegal activity or un-wanted loiterers etc., butttt 9 times outta 10 every time ya see someone go down there round the corner to go use the toilet they are laden with bags etc. so I reckon most are shoppers. And anyways why should we pay for Eyre Square Centre's Cleaners .... Still an un-necessary hassle though where no choice but to "pee as you go" (Love that Inky_lady !! :D ) or not use the loo lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

OP, those toilets have been there since they renovated Eyre Square. Have you really not been in town for that long? :confused:

And personally, I think they're great. They're only 20c and you're usually guaranteed a clean, safe toilet facility, as they clean themselves between "goes". Public open-access toilets are dangerous places.

It's not the same at all. These are shops begging for business and if they expect human beings to want to shop in their establishment they should provide facilities that allow humans to carry out their necessary bodily functions without leaving.

This is all part of the race to the bottom by Irish businesses they expect people to pay more for less. Any other country I've been to these kind of services are always there, because those businesses know they can't expect return customers if the customer finds the establishment expect them to pee their pants or pay a premium.

Irish people just allow these little things and then complain when they turn around and find they're paying 4 times more than every other country to buy last years fashion in some run down shed.

I don't care what their excuses are I'm not driving all the way to Galway city and shopping in that place if it means I'm going to be caught short for a piss.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not the same at all. These are shops begging for business and if they expect human beings to want to shop in their establishment they should provide facilities that allow humans to carry out their necessary bodily functions without leaving.

This is all part of the race to the bottom by Irish businesses they expect people to pay more for less. Any other country I've been to these kind of services are always there, because those businesses know they can't expect return customers if the customer finds the establishment expect them to pee their pants or pay a premium.

Irish people just allow these little things and then complain when they turn around and find they're paying 4 times more than every other country to buy last years fashion in some run down shed.

I don't care what their excuses are I'm not driving all the way to Galway city and shopping in that place if it means I'm going to be caught short for a piss.
    Jesus will you relax a bit. They do provide facilities and charge for them so as to ensure they are well maintained, rightly so in my opinion. As for the rest of your post/rant it doesn't make much sense, what 'last years fashion' do you pay 4 times more for? I was in Italy last week and clothes and footwear are priced no different, i've lived in Portugal, same scenario there. Never found another European country where i get things 4 times cheaper than here or any cheaper for that matter. Dont think you can find cheaper then Penneys on the continent.;)

Jesus will you relax a bit. They do provide facilities and charge for them so as to ensure they are well maintained, rightly so in my opinion. As for the rest of your post/rant it doesn't make much sense, what 'last years fashion' do you pay 4 times more for? I was in Italy last week and clothes and footwear are priced no different, i've lived in Portugal, same scenario there. Never found another European country where i get things 4 times cheaper than here or any cheaper for that matter. Dont think you can find cheaper then Penneys on the continent.;)
    The UK is a hell of a lot cheaper than Ireland.

I've given my opinion, I won't shop there. If you want to pay extra for those things that's up to you, but remember you set the standard by where you spend your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

And in Debenhams too.

Wrong loo Cosmic! ;)

The loo yer on about it is fair to expect to pay for that one, I'd class that as an extra facility, it's more understandable to have to pay for that one. The one in the Eyre Square ~Shopping~ Centre, not so fair.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    The UK is a hell of a lot cheaper than Ireland.

I've given my opinion, I won't shop there. If you want to pay extra for those things that's up to you, but remember you set the standard by where you spend your money.
    Christ you would swear people were spending money somewhere ran by a bunch of terrorists with the over the top descriptions.
    And for the record i use the toilet in my house and therefore dont need to avail of their extra facilities :D.

UK wages are also a hell of a lot less than those in this country.

Advertisement