Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aoifed6

Wex94 wrote: »
    I got accepted for speech and language ☺️

hi ,

are you going to Trinity ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jsykc

Hey everyone! I’ve applied for the course. Fingers crossed the HPAT goes well.

Does anyone know when exactly the course starts? I know it says August and I think it starts the last week but I’m not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sunshine1212

Hey, I'm applying too! Good luck with the HPAT .. I think it may be the last week too (I must have read that somewhere) but I can't be sure.

Hey, I'm applying too! Good luck with the HPAT .. I think it may be the last week too (I must have read that somewhere) but I can't be sure.

You too! Is it your first year applying?

Yeah my first year! I'm nervous about the HPAT. I guess it's the fairest way, but also very daunting. Did you do the hpat last year? Are you applying anywhere else?

• Advertisement

Yeah my first year! I'm nervous about the HPAT. I guess it's the fairest way, but also very daunting. Did you do the hpat last year? Are you applying anywhere else?

It’s my first time too! I haven’t applied anywhere else, have you? The courses in the UK seem to want experience which I don’t have.

Hey guys, I did a HPAT course and I was told that the essay section is basically a way to filter out candidates who have poor written English skills. So I wouldn’t worry too much about that section as I got the impression that it doesn’t really contribute to your overall percentile.

It's been a while since I've posted here, sorry! I hope the HPAT studying is going well! I'm applying to Essex and also the undergrad in Ulster university. What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maeve Murray

anyone know what kind of score you'd want to be getting to get into SLT or OT in UL? maybe anyone who got in last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 trionaellen

I'm wondering the same thing. Final prep under way for the exam on Saturday. Hoping to get into OT.

• Advertisement

Good luck to anyone doing the Hpat tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

How did you all find the hpat? And the written English?
    I did it yesterday hoping to get into SLT

Hi 😊 I did it hoping to get into OT. Found Section 1 a bit easier than I expected, Section 2 more difficult than expected and Section 3 next to impossible but I struggled with that section in all of my prep. Also fell behind with the essay section which Im really disappointed with (think I just hadnt anticipated how fried my brain would be at that stage), so I didnt actually get to finish essay 2. I felt that the essay topics actually required quite a bit more thought to give a proper structure to them than any that I had practiced. Also wasnt prepared for having to create essay titles and recon I put a bit too much thought into those and wasted time.

I have probably spent wayyyyy to much time analyzing. 🙈 And at the end of it all I dont really know if I did well or not, will just have to wait and see ðŸ™

Did some more analysing of the numbers sitting the written exam and given there were around 30 of us, and guessing that maybe half and half were going for SLT/OT (although Ive no real logic behind that 😋) and given that there were six centres across the country, and given that there are 30 places offered for each course (I know this is true for OT anyway), if we said there were roughly 30 in each centre and each were half/half then everyone would have a 1/3 chance of getting in.

Yes I have thought way too much into this.

How did you all find the hpat? And the written English?
    I did it yesterday hoping to get into SLT

How did you find it??

It was definitely tough.. The topics for the written English were ok, but the timing was just the issue. I usually like to have a lot of time to plan and think but obviously that's not an option! It's so so hard to know. I dunno if anyone leaves that exam feeling great! How did you feel about it?

How did you find it??

Just read your post there Triona! I felt very similar to you about all the sections! I've been told about 120 people usually apply to SLT and also 30 places.

How did you find it??

I found it hard, section 1 didnt seem too bad but thats always my worst section so I dont know if im giving myself false hope there. Was tight for time in section two and there was a lot of questions I had to guess between 2 options - more than usual when I am practicing!
    Section 3 was very very hard and I spent too long on some questions here so rushed to finish.
    English was ok, only wrote just under 3 pages for each question (I have big writing). I think it is very hard to know how they will mark this section though

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has applied to the UK aswell, I have an interview in City London coming up in a few weeks and would love to know peoples experiences as they have given no info really!

Hey, I got accepted to Essex, no experience with City though. My interview was on Skype and very relaxed! If you look up 'thestudentroom' there's lots of information there, it's kind of the UK version of boards.ie.

Hey, I got accepted to Essex, no experience with City though. My interview was on Skype and very relaxed! If you look up 'thestudentroom' there's lots of information there, it's kind of the UK version of boards.ie.
    Thanks for the advice
    Congrats on Essex! I didnt appy there.
    Are you going to Essex or would you rather UL?

• Advertisement

I would definitely take UL if I got offered it! Good luck with the interview! Have you applied anywhere else? I feel like it's forever away until we found out about Limerick!

I would definitely take UL if I got offered it! Good luck with the interview! Have you applied anywhere else? I feel like it's forever away until we found out about Limerick!
    Applied to Edinburgh and Manchester too!

Applied to Edinburgh and Manchester too!

Good luck!! When do you find out about them?

HPAT results are out!

How did ye get on? I got 97 percentile , but only 33 in the English! Really disappointed by the English result

Well in English but not happy with host percentile at all. Don't think I will get in

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JessS12

Well in English but not happy with host percentile at all. Don't think I will get in

I’m the same I’m overall percentile 46, so not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ros7510

I got 80 overall percentile and 41 in English don’t know if that’s good or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5 owinnn

Results are out! Check the online portal.

• Advertisement

owinnn wrote: »
    Results are out! Check the online portal.
    Did you get an email? How do you log in?

Advertisement