Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Valaida

Hi there,

I've received offers for Speech therapy starting in Sept 2012 for Limerick and Edinburgh, and I was wondering if anyone can give me an insight into the course in UL and in what living in Limerick is like.

I live in Dublin at the moment and love the variety of things to do. I'm a bit worried about Limerick being quite a small city, and if there's much variety of nightlife. I know there'll be a lot of studying to be done, but it's only healthy to have a breather at the weekend, and I'd rather get some city life than live in a campus bubble for 2 years.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me an idea of what it's like to live in Limerick, or in Edinburgh, or what the Speech therapy courses are like in UL or in Queen Margaret?

I've heard there's a heavy focus in UL on the anatomy, physiological side of Speech Therapy (ie swallowing etc), whereas in Scotland they focus more on the linguistics.

Does anyone know if that is right?
    Also for someone who's come from a language/linguistics background, is it difficult to get a handle on the biological stuff?

Thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ulslt

Valaida wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've received offers for Speech therapy starting in Sept 2012 for Limerick and Edinburgh, and I was wondering if anyone can give me an insight into the course in UL and in what living in Limerick is like.

I live in Dublin at the moment and love the variety of things to do. I'm a bit worried about Limerick being quite a small city, and if there's much variety of nightlife. I know there'll be a lot of studying to be done, but it's only healthy to have a breather at the weekend, and I'd rather get some city life than live in a campus bubble for 2 years.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me an idea of what it's like to live in Limerick, or in Edinburgh, or what the Speech therapy courses are like in UL or in Queen Margaret?

I've heard there's a heavy focus in UL on the anatomy, physiological side of Speech Therapy (ie swallowing etc), whereas in Scotland they focus more on the linguistics.

Also for someone who's come from a language/linguistics background, is it difficult to get a handle on the biological stuff?

Hey I'm from Limerick and did my undergrad in UL. To be honest staying in Limerick was the last thing I wanted to do but it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened. Although I'm still not the biggest fan of Limerick, I absolutely adore UL. I was lucky enough to live far enough away that I moved out there. The campus is huge for the amount of students they have and the atmosphere is great, which is great when it comes to getting away from study. Though not looking forward to going back to the library. It's like a sauna and holds too many bad memories of final year stress! But really I can't say enough good things about UL.
    I also wouldn't recommend living in the city. Rent would be much cheaper in Castletroy and you would save a lot of stress, because the traffic can be pretty bad heading towards the city. For nights out its so easy to get a taxi into town anyway, although the Lodge nightclub by the university is pretty much home to UL students, and no matter how much study there is to be done its so close-by that any excuse will do for a night out.

I got into QMU and on the waiting list in City University London but they're both PGDips and from what I can tell not many people go on to do the Masters because of the extra time it takes. I've heard you need a masters if you want to work in the US or Canada, not that I plan to, but I'd like to keep my options open.
    If you go to MSc in Speech and Language therapy in the following link it gives more info about the programme in QMU. http://www.qmu.ac.uk/quality/ps/default.htm
    Otherwise I don't know much about the content other than that no matter where you go they must meet the same specifications in order to recognised by the professional organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 m.dwyer4

Hi there,

Hi there

I also received offers from QMU and UL but I turned down my QMU offer during the week. It's far far too expensive in QMU, and as for city life, I lived in Edinburgh for two summers during my undergrad and it was brilliant, but you have to remember that QMU is in Musselburgh which is 6 miles from the city. If you choose to live on campus you're talking about the same kind of set up as UL and if you choose to live in the city you're talking massive travel costs which would only add to your £8,000 tuition fees each year! I don't know which course is better but I reckon as SLT is a professional clinical course it's really going to be your own professional and academic competence that matters most at the end of the day, rather than the college you studied at. Well done on your offers :)

Any one know anything about the new Postgrad Residence in UL - supposed to be adjacent to the med school? Dates for applying etc? Not much info on the website.
    http://www.studentliving.ul.ie/index.jsp?p=117&n=313

• Registered Users Posts: 1 U.N.I 2012

Hi,
    Just wondering is there anyone currently in UL studying for the Speech and Language Masters and could they give a bit of info on it? :) would really appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Aport

Hey I'm starting I'n sept as well I'n speech therapy, time Goin so fast we won't feel it til aug!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sinead_89

Heya. I am also starting Speech & Language in Sept! Was delighted to get a place but getting a bit freaked about all the work!

Any idea what timetable is like? =)

Sinead_89 wrote: »
    Heya. I am also starting Speech & Language in Sept! Was delighted to get a place but getting a bit freaked about all the work!

Hi Sinead I found this online but it's for spring?

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/769537728.pdf

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how much time we get off in the summer, I heard it was six weeks but I wonder if that is in July or August?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sinead_89

Thanks, I hadnt seen that. It looks ok. . .so hopefully this years timetable wont be too bad.

That would be great if we got some time off in the summer. . .

Are you looking forward to starting in Sept?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leanneb

Hey I am starting the course in sept too! That timetable for this spring looks really good hopefully ours will be similar!

Has anyone started the reading? It's looks like it will be a lot to get through :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Donna10

Hey

Well done all of you who got the course. Was just wondering, how much work experience had you's under your belt before you got the course?
    And what do you feel is the key to getting onto the course?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leanneb

Donna10 wrote: »
    Hey

Well done all of you who got the course. Was just wondering, how much work experience had you's under your belt before you got the course?
    And what do you feel is the key to getting onto the course?

Thanks

Hey

Well I have a degree in intellectual disability nursing so most of my experience was from just working alongside speech and language therapists and working with people with disabilities. I think that having experience is probably the most important thing so I'd say just shadow a few speech and language therapists if u can!

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 woneill1

Hi guys,

I am currently on the course, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I have to say, it's a great course, but a lot of work. Can be stressful at times...but can be rewarding!

There will be a huge range of people with different experience, knowledge and ability. Don't worry too much about the pre-reading. It is useful, but alot of it wont make sense until you get to college. Have a look at it, but don't worry if it's double-dutch! It's a difficult course to get on, so if you've been accepted, you should be able for it.

Regarding the timetable: The timetable is subject to change every year. Generally, it's three days of lectures, with two days of placement.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ulslt

m.dwyer4 wrote: »
    Hi Sinead I found this online but it's for spring?

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/769537728.pdf

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how much time we get off in the summer, I heard it was six weeks but I wonder if that is in July or August?
    Hi there,

Aport wrote: »
    Hey I'm starting I'n sept as well I'n speech therapy, time Goin so fast we won't feel it til aug!

leanneb wrote: »
    Hey I am starting the course in sept too! That timetable for this spring looks really good hopefully ours will be similar!

Has anyone started the reading? It's looks like it will be a lot to get through :(

Hey, I figured seeing as time seems to be going so fast its no harm to set up a facebook group for our class! It's an open group at the moment but I can change it to a closed group. Just thought it might be handy for any questions about books and vaccinations before we start, and of course assignments once it all begins! https://www.facebook.com/groups/374153532631998/

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

ulslt wrote: »

Hey, I figured seeing as time seems to be going so fast its no harm to set up a facebook group for our class! It's an open group at the moment but I can change it to a closed group. Just thought it might be handy for any questions about books and vaccinations before we start, and of course assignments once it all begins! https://www.facebook.com/groups/374153532631998/

Good idea, our class uses our Facebook page for everything! It wi come in so handy when you start the course! :-)

ulslt wrote: »

How exciting! Class just seen this will request to join!! :)

woneill1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am currently on the course, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I have to say, it's a great course, but a lot of work. Can be stressful at times...but can be rewarding!

There will be a huge range of people with different experience, knowledge and ability. Don't worry too much about the pre-reading. It is useful, but alot of it wont make sense until you get to college. Have a look at it, but don't worry if it's double-dutch! It's a difficult course to get on, so if you've been accepted, you should be able for it.

Regarding the timetable: The timetable is subject to change every year. Generally, it's three days of lectures, with two days of placement.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your info.. I've been working two jobs for the summer so I'm getting worried about getting the pre-reading done! Reassuring!

Thanks, I hadnt seen that. It looks ok. . .so hopefully this years timetable wont be too bad.

That would be great if we got some time off in the summer. . .

Are you looking forward to starting in Sept?:)

Yeah looks ok doesn't it.. Ya can't wait... Looking forward to a change! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 liu83

I wonder if any of you applied for a scholarship for the speech & language course and if you got an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kelemina

Hi! I'm really interested in applying to this course. Can anyone tell me what the placements are like? Are they in Limerick? I don't have a car at the moment so I'd be relying on public transport to get around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

Kelemina wrote: »
    Hi! I'm really interested in applying to this course. Can anyone tell me what the placements are like? Are they in Limerick? I don't have a car at the moment so I'd be relying on public transport to get around.

Hi Kelemina,

Some of the placements are in Limerick but there's no guarantee of being placed in Limerick. To be honest, you have to be willing to go pretty much anywhere in Ireland, although they will try to accommodate you but you have four placements throughout the course and you have to gain experience in different areas with different client groups so it wouldn't be realistic to attempt this without leaving Limerick. They do try to accommodate you though if they can at all, and I would say having a car is definitely a big plus, it makes things easier for you. But that doesn't mean its a necessity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 love_apple

Hi there not sure if anyone still on here.. I was wondering if you could help me...

I am applying for the MSc in Speech and Language Therapy at UL and I am struggling to get experience and volunteering as I am working full time at the moment...

Could you give me an idea of what volunteer work and what work experience you had and for how long and where did you do it/who with?

Also what did you write in your application letter? I have no clue where to start.. I heard they've gotten rid of the interviews this yr so it will be extra important to get the application letter and experience.

I have this week off to try sort something out..

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Marylemon

leanneb wrote: »

Hey

Well I have a degree in intellectual disability nursing so most of my experience was from just working alongside speech and language therapists and working with people with disabilities. I think that having experience is probably the most important thing so I'd say just shadow a few speech and language therapists if u can!

Good luck with it :)

Hi, I am thinking about applying for the masters in speech and language in Limerick, is it very difficult to get a place on the course.I am a nurse.Can anybody help me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kitty22

Hi everyone,
    I am applying for SLT this year too. As I'm sure ye all know the closing date is today so I'm trying to get all my documents together! I know last minute!! love_apple I haven't heard anything about no interviews this year but that would be great!!! I hope you managed to get some experience in the end! I applied last year too but didn't even get an interview! I'm doing an MA in Applied Linguistics at the moment so I'm hoping that should help. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to defer their applications for the next year if they were offered a place? I'm toying with the idea of travelling too. Thanks! :)

I have applied for Masters in speech and language also, fingers crossed.

Hi kitty22
    How are you, did u get your application form in on time. Hope we hear from them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kitty22

Marylemon wrote: »
    Hi kitty22
    How are you, did u get your application form in on time. Hope we hear from them soon.
    Hi, ya I did! All sorted now. Is this your 1st application Marylemon? We should hear early February! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Maryorange

Hi, It's my first year to apply for masters in Speech and language in UL. Not long now to wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Maryorange wrote: »
    Hi, It's my first year to apply for masters in Speech and language in UL. Not long now to wait!

When do you think we find out? I hope it's the beginning of February, am getting nervous just thinking about it!

Advertisement