Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do anything to make up for 3 years of not taking college seriously???

Options
  • 31-07-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

My QCA is really low at the moment but after my co-op I really want to improve it.

However even if I get all A2's (I am trying to be realistic as I wont get all A1's) I still cant get a 2.1 degree.

Does anybody know if I could do anything to help this, like link in more modules?

Would appreciate any help as I m getting really panicked now!:D

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Okay, I was really lazy in my undergrad and I scraped a 2.2, so I can relate. Do you intend to do a Masters? If so, it won't really matter what type of degree you have (most Masters require a 2.2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 maelaw

I wouldn't advise linking in more modules as you will just get bogged down with them. Just set yourself realistic timetables and really try and stick to them.
    I worked quite well in my first three years but got so f**ked up of it all in the fourth year that I messed up and came out with a 2.2. So maybe you've gone about it the right way. You're coming in fresh to your final year, just really try and stick to your plan, its not that much to give up a few nights out here and there and you will end up regretting it if you don't work hard for this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I only got a 2.2 and have been employed by a large multinational for 10 years. My HR manager told me in the interview, the vast majority of companies aren't THAT interested in your exam results, what they're after is if you're competent enough for the job and are a decent person who won't upset other people in the office (it happens believe me, I've worked with some right w*nkers).

Work hard for your last year, pull your socks up a bit and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

leakyboots wrote: »
    I only got a 2.2 and have been employed by a large multinational for 10 years. My HR manager told me in the interview, the vast majority of companies aren't THAT interested in your exam results, what they're after is if you're competent enough for the job and are a decent person who won't upset other people in the office (it happens believe me, I've worked with some right w*nkers).

Work hard for your last year, pull your socks up a bit and you'll be fine

This may be the case a lot less now with the job situation. 5-10 years ago when you and I were graduating it was rarely an issue but more and more ads are using degree grades to distinguish between candidates at an initial stage. Masters degrees are variable with what they look for, the better ones will often look for 2.1s and again if they are oversubscribed with more people staying in college after their bachelors degrees this will be the selection point for students in the vast majority of cases.
    It's just a sign of the times! Survival of the fittest.

Advertisement