Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about Joining the Army

• 31-07-2011 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi Thinking of Joining the army after i finish school just have a few questions about it.

1.Do you have to be fit?

2.Can you join if you got low points in the Leaving Cert?

3.How is the Pay?

4.What does it mostly involve?

5.Is the Training like Full Metal Jacket (lol)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

the only thing I can answer is... damn right you have to be fit. the rest can answer the rest of your questions.

why would you ask this question if you are thinking of joining the army ? it is imperative that you are fit if you are going to join this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

showsaf wrote: »
    Hi Thinking of Joining the army after i finish school just have a few questions about it.

1.Do you have to be fit?

2.Can you join if you got low points in the Leaving Cert?

3.How is the Pay?

4.What does it mostly involve?

5.Is the Training like Full Metal Jacket (lol)

I applied years ago. Had to do an interview first. Then got a call for fitness testing

My cousin applied last year you will do the fitness tests first so you if you aint at the top you aint getting in. Having the bare fitness requirements wont get you far. He said he passed all tests but got no call back

Officer or foot soldier?
    Obviously you will get way better money going in to be an officer

Education: For an officer im sure a good leaving cert would be needed .
    As an ordinary soldier less of a requirement.

You can get all this info of The Pdf site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

For recruitment you need a basic levekl of fitnrss.

You are then "built up" fitness wise;

I got less than 100 pts in LC but was accwepted befor hand.

Pay is good

Training is hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Full metal jacket is a fictional movie set in the early 1960s US Marine Corps..

I'd start watching more documentaries about what's going on in the real Ireland of today if I were you...
    The Irish Defence Forces do not have a Marine Corps.
    Senior Drill instructors here are known as sergeants, and they will not abuse or torture you to the point of suicide. Instead they will gently wake you each morning with a nice mug of tea, and tuck you in at night with cocoa and a story or lullaby.
    The Irish Army will not send you to Vietnam...
    sucky sucky is no longer 2 dolla. She won't love u long time either.
    There are partitions between cisterns nowdays too
    The M1 or M14 were never used by the Irish Defence forces.

www.military.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Senior Drill instructors here are known as sergeants, and they will not abuse or torture you to the point of suicide. Instead they will gently wake you each morning with a nice mug of tea, and tuck you in at night with cocoa and a story or lullaby.

LoL, i would love to think at least one person will go into a cadetship believing the above to be the case thanks to your post goldie. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Royal Green Jacket

showsaf wrote: »
    ...Thinking of Joining the army after i finish school...

;)

Advertisement