Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alex Reid v SomeoneOrOther Barrett ONLY ON PPV!!!

• 31-07-2011 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so if you're tuned into Primetime right now awaiting Fedor v Hendo, you won't have missed the ads for Alex Reid (hasnt won a fight in over 6 years)v Jason "Bad Arse" Barrett (3-6). Coming live to Primetime.

Now, just by coincidence, 2 minutes before I tuned in my mother said "Is it wrestling you're watching?".
    "Of course not" I replied. "It's MMA."

So how disappointed was I when I flicked over and saw a clip where the Cage Rage cameras went to this Barrett chap's gym, Barrett rang up Reid to talk smack and they followed him to Reid's gym where they had a fake scuffle.

Then they go to Alex Reid coming to the ring doing the whole WWE thing, with all the trimmings. He gets into the ring and squares up to Dave O'Donnell saying "Are you trying to stitch me up?". This Barrett guy squares up to him and after a few words Dave O'Donnell says something about "On August 6th" (when the fight is scheduled) and Reid even shoves him like he's Vince McMahon and says something like "What was that you said about August 6th"? It's horrible!

Now my mother thinks MMA is WWE!

If this was boxing, I wouldnt insult Journeymen by calling these 2 chumps journeymen, yet they have a cheek to try WWE this thing onto PPV? Has anyone seen it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Wow, your mam stays up late :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hahahahaha, nice find

Here's the vid, fcukin awful

How much is the PPV?? 49CENT maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Wow, your mam stays up late :pac:

She stays up for the 10 minute freeviews!
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Hahahahaha, nice find

That would be at least 50 cent too much! It's awful! Vinny McMahon himself wouldn't take these lads on. No wonder Reid's gone back to fighting if his acting is THAT bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Can I fight them?

Both of them?

At the same time?

Wait that's not fair...

...Someone tie one arm behind my back.

Scud's video isnt the same one I was talking about. I can't find the one Primetime are showing, but here's a version of the farce that went on when Reid confronted Barrett and O'Donnell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Scud's video isnt the same one I was talking about. I can't find the one Primetime are showing, but here's a version of the farce that went on when Reid confronted Barrett and O'Donnell

You mean there's a better vid out there!!!!

You mean there's a better vid out there!!!!

Not one that would get me as pumped up for the fight as your one :P

Primetime PPV have previews at 8am, record them on your Sky box is possible and give them a look.

In the meantime, check out this ridiculousness. Terrible for the sport. WHat kind of thug starts fights in the street like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

WHat kind of thug starts fights in the street like this?

One who is trying to work the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

That's awfully cringe worthy. I think the fight is free in the UK on Premier Sports. Just that we have PrimeTime so have to pay. Could be wrong but that will do under 100 buys in Ireland anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭theT

thats embarrassing, at least Mc Mahon trys to make it look real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

The guy screaming for him to sign the contract, I've no idea who he is, can't fight for shít... that is an absolute farce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It actually made it into Sherdog's '10 August Tussles Worth Watching' alongside Curran-Sandro and Kikuno-Hirota...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/10-August-Tussles-Worth-Watching-34391

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I never knew why people used these 2 words before, but this seems like the exact time to use them................"Jesus Wept"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Had never heard of Jason before this either, just checked his record, 3-6, expecting big things from him next week! Record: Link

I actually think this fight could do well with PPV buys, anyone remember how many his fight against Watson got? Iirc it did very well.

Had never heard of Jason before this either, just checked his record, 3-6, expecting big things from him next week! Record: Link

I actually think this fight could do well with PPV buys, anyone remember how many his fight against Watson got? Iirc it did very well.

He was flavour of the month at that time; dating a page three model and in a celebrity reality show and in the glossy magazines. I'm not sure but I don't think he is so much anymore and he's certainly not going to sell the fight based on his actual fighting pedigree. I've never even heard of the other guy in the fight.

It would be bizarre though if this was to become the way of MMA in the UK, a kind of celebrity culture based mishmash of pro-wrestling and MMA. I'd hope that this thing does a three-figure PPV buy and Reid fades back into obscurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

The majority of people who watch MMA don't do so for appreciation of the technical nuances - they do it for the drama, the characters and the spectacle. The dramatic rise of the UFC has been since The Ultimate Fighter and pushing fighters to create "drama".

Alex Reid is the biggest name in MMA in the UK, building a fake beef between him and Barrett will draw people in - the bulk of them don't care if they're the top fighters or not.

MMA + fake drama = €€€ + large amounts of viewers

Clive wrote: »
    The majority of people who watch MMA don't do so for appreciation of the technical nuances - they do it for the drama, the characters and the spectacle.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. A lot of the top MMA champions over the past years haven't had a huge of amount of character, guys like GSP and Frankie Edgar, and a huge proportion of them haven't even been able to speak English. This is why I am alarmed at the Primetime ad, it's basically a load of acting like a pro wrestling fight. Like a lot of people, I've been watching the likes of Hendo and Fedor for years and neither of them are big characters or come from the Ultimate Fighter. I think if you were to switch their talent for personality and nothing else you'd lose viewers pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 listen to me now

The majority of people who watch MMA don't do so for appreciation of the technical nuances - they do it for the drama, the characters and the spectacle. The dramatic rise of the UFC has been since The Ultimate Fighter and pushing fighters to create "drama".

Alex Reid is the biggest name in MMA in the UK, building a fake beef between him and Barrett will draw people in - the bulk of them don't care if they're the top fighters or not.

MMA + fake drama = €€€ + large amounts of viewers
    alex obviously learned a few publicity tricks off jordan

All very true.

But I think it boils down to this. Nobody wants to watch a fight between 2 idiots like this.......... unless you try hype it a bit!

Unfortunately, they're trying to hype it by making them look like thugs and WWE heels.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. A lot of the top MMA champions over the past years haven't had a huge of amount of character, guys like GSP and Frankie Edgar, and a huge proportion of them haven't even been able to speak English. This is why I am alarmed at the Primetime ad, it's basically a load of acting like a pro wrestling fight. Like a lot of people, I've been watching the likes of Hendo and Fedor for years and neither of them are big characters or come from the Ultimate Fighter. I think if you were to switch their talent for personality and nothing else you'd lose viewers pretty quickly.

We'll have to agree to differ - I think only a small proportion of people will watch Diaz versus GSP to see the techniques and tactics, most want to see a thug get beaten by a good guy (or vice versa).

In any case Hendo, Fedor etc came up in the old days, whereas the people getting the push now are the Lesnars, Sonnens and Stanns, guys who'll play the game as Dana wants. The elite guys can get there on talent alone, but most need fake hype, twitter wars and "I'm gonna kill him" promos to be a draw and secure better paydays.

• Advertisement

We'll have to agree to differ - I think only a small proportion of people will watch Diaz versus GSP to see the techniques and tactics, most want to see a thug get beaten by a good guy (or vice versa).

Er..... no!
    In any case Hendo, Fedor etc came up in the old days, whereas the people getting the push now are the Lesnars, Sonnens and Stanns, guys who'll play the game as Dana wants. The elite guys can get there on talent alone, but most need fake hype, twitter wars and "I'm gonna kill him" promos to be a draw and secure better paydays.

You're talking sh1te here! Most don't need any fake hype. ALL you gotta do is look at the current champions.

Cruz: Pure talent and zero hype

Aldo: Pure talent and any hype is a result of his dominance

Edgar: Sheer hard work and determination. The guy had never even been Co-main event in his life. In fact, his fight previous to winning the title was behind Kimbo v Alexander on the TUF Finale!

GSP: Sheer dominance.

Silva: If anything, he doesn't play the game. Never has!

Bones Jones: Talent and luck has gotten him the Championship.

Velasquez: Has worked his way up and beaten top guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

He said the people who are getting pushed, not those that are simply today's champions. There's those with no titles that get a hell of a lot of press from the UFC and other outlets because they open their mouth.

John Fitch is universally regarded as the No.2 welterweight in the world and gets kind of passed over for a title shot an awful lot. It's what draws the a lot of casual fans into the sport. Personalities married with the skills mea

The whole pro wrestling mentality of promotion and getting one's self "over", not just from the UFC but the fighters themselves is pretty apparent for all to see. Personalities married with the skills means money. It draws in the casual fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Had never heard of Jason before this

I remember some BS before on Cage Rage where they hyped up a fight in a really pathetic manner (videos of the two guys with half dressed wimmin and fancy cars and bling etc, talking crap), between him and someone else called 'Bad Ass' or something similar.

Ended up being a dirty fight and ended controversially because he kept pulling the other guys hair (dreadlocks).Think the other guy refused to continue as his hair was being pulled constantly, and then there was some afters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Jesus wept is correct. Chavs the lot of them.

You know I'd love to see the numbers+demographics and all that stuff for British MMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Hahahahaha, nice find

It only took 8 seconds for me to have enough of Dave O Donnell and stop the video. That guy is incredibly annoying.

Clive wrote:
    The elite guys can get there on talent alone, but most need fake hype, twitter wars and "I'm gonna kill him" promos to be a draw and secure better paydays.
    Er..... no!
    You're talking sh1te here! Most don't need any fake hype. ALL you gotta do is look at the current champions.

Do you not think that that the fighters bringing hype and drama are rewarded financially and with opportunities?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

I wouldn't agree with that at all. A lot of the top MMA champions over the past years haven't had a huge of amount of character, guys like GSP and Frankie Edgar, and a huge proportion of them haven't even been able to speak English

Being a champion doesn't guarentee you'll sell a lot of PPV's. Its normally the challenger who has to build the hype-but are you seriously suggesting trash talking to hype a promotion doesn't result in more PPV buys?

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2010 1. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley, May 1, 1.4 million buys
    2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, Nov. 13, 1,150,000 buys
    3. UFC 116: Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, July 3, 1,100,000 buys
    4. UFC 114: Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans, May 29, 1,050,000 buys
    5. UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez, Oct. 23, 1,000,000 buys
    6. UFC 124: Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck, Dec. 11, 785,000 buys
    7. UFC 111: St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy, March 27, 770,000 buys
    8. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey, March 13, 700,000 buys
    9. UFC 107: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, Aug. 7, 600,000 buys
    10. UFC 118: Frank Edgar vs. B.J. Penn/Randy Couture vs. James Toney, 535,000 buys

I don't know what went on with the boxing promotions, but numbers 4,6,7,9 and 10 had an awful lot of trash talk from the number one contender\challenger (in 10s case I'd believe the Couture\Toney fight would have been one of the major reasons people bought the PPV as opposed to the Penn\Edgar rematch). 3 & 5 deserve an honourable mention for featuring Brock Lesnar.

Saying that the Reid\Barnett thing is a joke. Anyone can tell its staged as f*ck to the point where its pretty annoying.

Being a champion doesn't guarentee you'll sell a lot of PPV's. Its normally the challenger who has to build the hype-but are you seriously suggesting trash talking to hype a promotion doesn't result in more PPV buys?

I don't think anyone said that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

I don't think anyone said that!

My bad late night :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anybody got a figure at how much this is gonna cost yet?

Not coz I'd ever buy it in a million years, but because I want a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

9.95 GBP so prob 14.95 euro

dave1982 wrote: »

Seriously???

Isn't that the same price as Strikeforce events? Pretty sure the HW GP was £10 a time or £24 for all 4 events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

dave1982 wrote: »

14.95 to see 2 bums? :eek::eek: They should be paying us to watch that garbage.

Those Black Belts in the Martial Arts mags were right when they said MMA could do a serious infusion of dignity and class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Oh my God!!! What a pile of crap!! 2 chumps making the sport look like a bunch of thugs lookin to "beat each ovva propa". What a farsical display of wannabe-ism!:mad:

• Advertisement

You could probably buy an old pride or UFC DVD for that €14.95.

Much better value IMO. You could actually probably buy a ticket to go and see one of the Irish MMA shows for that and from what I've seen on Setanta lately, there are some seriously top notch MMA organisations developing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Much better value IMO. You could actually probably buy a ticket to go and see one of the Irish MMA shows for that and from what I've seen on Setanta lately, there are some seriously top notch MMA organisations developing here.

And with all due respect to CCX on Setanta, if thats the only Irish MMA show your seeing your selling yourself short by a mile.

There are a few really exciting events coming up in the next few months, you really should check one or two out and I promise you won't be disappointed.

And with all due respect to CCX on Setanta, if thats the only Irish MMA show your seeing your selling yourself short by a mile.

There are a few really exciting events coming up in the next few months, you really should check one or two out and I promise you won't be disappointed.

I thought they showed more than just Cage Contenders over the last while but I'm probably mistaken. I don't even have the channel, I have only watched these shows at my friends house.

You're right though and I definitely plan to make the treck to Cork or Belfast to catch some shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

You could probably buy an old pride or UFC DVD for that €14.95.

I just bought the Pride 2005 Middleweight GP (6 disks) for €13 incl. delivery!

Anyhow, that farce is like the WWE meets David Hayes' stalking of Vlad klitschko; its absolutely shocking and it really puts MMA in a bad light. Its hard enough to convince lay-people that MMA is a respectable sport and not just thugs beating the living daylights out of each other in a 'cage' without these 2 doughnuts hamming it up and acting like complete chavs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Richy06 wrote: »
    John Fitch is universally regarded as the No.2 welterweight in the world and gets kind of passed over for a title shot an awful lot. It's what draws the a lot of casual fans into the sport. Personalities married with the skills mea

The whole pro wrestling mentality of promotion and getting one's self "over", not just from the UFC but the fighters themselves is pretty apparent for all to see. Personalities married with the skills means money. It draws in the casual fans.

There is no questioning Fitch's talent but IMO he gets looked over because he is the most boring fighter in the whole sport. Apart from the GSP fight I've never once been excited to watch him fight. Stann and Sonnen are examples of guys getting a push but look at the likes of Phil Davis. He's getting a well deserved push, any interview of his I've ever heard he's come across as a top bloke but not a guy who's gonna sell a fight on his charisma. I'd also say the same about JDS and Chris Weidman.

• Advertisement

Xlami wrote: »
    There is no questioning Fitch's talent but IMO he gets looked over because he is the most boring fighter in the whole sport

In fairness I don't think it's just because he's a boring sod. Maynard is just as bad but he got his shot and ended up doing the same as Fitch in that his title fight was his least boring.

I think another reason why Fitch is finding a title shot so hard to come by is the fact that he was so completely dominated by GSP. Got knocked on his ass 3 or 4 times, couldn't do anything with his wrestling. Can we really expect anything different if they fight again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If Fitch was given the win over BJ, he was getting a title shot, 100% (I felt he won tbh)
    He he wins his next match, I reckon he gets a title shot. Assuming he fights somebody like Carlos Condit if BJ gets injuried

I still think UFC will try their best to get someone else in there against GSP if possible.

He beat BJ, everyone knows it INCLUDING BJ! He has deserved his second shot for a long time now. I know UFC want to give the fans exciting matches but if they want MMA to be seen as a legitimate sport they need to be giving the best the chance to be the Champion, whether their style is boring or not!

The FA wouldn't kick Chelsea out of the FA Cup if they thought their style wasn't exciting. The UFC need to have integrity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 meerkatmark

meanwhile, back on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrwKdoiiP6A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Say what you want, the man brings a crowd, its all staged by the promoter none the less but great entertainment if not cringeworthy.

meanwhile, back on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrwKdoiiP6A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Say what you want, the man brings a crowd, its all staged by the promoter none the less but great entertainment if not cringeworthy.

Dave O'Donnell is not only a marketing genius but a psychic! Only DOD could announce the fighter's weights BEFORE they stepped on the scales :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Dave O'Donnell is not only a marketing genius but a psychic! Only DOD could announce the fighter's weights BEFORE they stepped on the scales :rolleyes:

Presumably they have a real, behind the scenes weigh in and then a theatrical weigh in for the fans.

LOL, fantastic.

I think they must have done a proper weigh in in private somewhere then done the "media thing", i was at one for cage contender in the square and their guy was calling out the weights and there were no scales at all

Wouldnt be suprised if the lads had a proper kiss backstage before the one for show too

i would reckon the promoter had them practising all night long.

The kiss, the "street fight" and all that crap was planned well in advance, but all adds to the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

it's all a bit of tom foolery for the cameras, build up the hype for the big ppv and get more sales.
    taken straight from the david haye book of playacting.
    looking forward to sitting down with himself tonight to watch it ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement