Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel - Chamber To Roll Out Free Town Wide Wi-Fi

Options
  • 31-07-2011 9:35am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A Clonmel post but thought it worthy of it's own thread.

Chamber To Roll Out Free Town Wide Wi-Fi

Clonmel Chamber has been successful in securing funding from the South Tipperary Development Company for the deployment of a free to use wi-fi network in the town centre. The wi-fi network will be accessible to all members of the public in the town centre with wi-fi enabled devices such as PDA’S, laptops, net books and smart phones. This project is another element of the organisations efforts to make Clonmel a better place to live, work in and visit.

Clonmel Chamber will be one of the first towns in the country to provide this innovative and free service to the public. This project has been in development for the last twelve months and has been supported by the Clonmel Borough Council. This project will deliver real benefits to the town; it delivers a new and exciting technology to Clonmel residents, visitors and tourists alike at no cost.

The project will be rolled out over the coming weeks and is expected to go live in September.

Clonmel Chamber Director Don Davern who has been driving the project said “We are proud to announce this major project, this is Clonmel embracing 21st century technology, and this project is technology for all with no barriers to access. This is a very proud moment for the Chamber and the town”

The Chamber has acknowledged its gratitude to the South Tipperary Development Company in supporting this application

I wonder where the limits of the town center will be set for this? West Gate to start of Parnell street and covering Mary and Gladstone ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I personally asked the County Council what the radius of the signal would be and their reply was,

It will be from Hearns Hotel to the Westgate and Sarsfield St to Market Place initially.

Hope that helps.

Personally I think its a great idea!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

At least Clonmel is small enough that it's financially viable.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A flat down town never seemed so appealing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brian Cleary

Thanks for the positive words. Lockie1983 just to clarify - this is a Clonmel Chamber initiative with support from the Borough Council and South Tipperary Development Company.

I only heard about this thread earlier, but I will make sure to keep it updated on the progress of the roll out.

Thanks for the kinds words,

Brian Cleary,
    CEO,
    Clonmel Chamber
    @ChamberBrian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Very nice idea. I'll be keeping an eye. Probably early stages yet but what's the provider going to be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brian Cleary

Very nice idea. I'll be keeping an eye. Probably early stages yet but what's the provider going to be?

There was a tender process for the work and a Clonmel company was successful. I'll post more info during the week-if time allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

well done to the town - nice to see us at the cutting edge - it'll certainly be an asset during festival and other times as an added bonus for visitors and locals alike, we could do with breathing a little bit of life into the town centre.

well done!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Hope this goes ahead, living in the middle of town LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

Owen_S wrote: »
    Hope this goes ahead, living in the middle of town LOL
    will there be a download limit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MapForJ wrote: »

The way it works in Paris is that there is no download limit but speed is limited to that which is enough to stream at 240p and connections are reset after 2 hours forcing you to reconnect manually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

MapForJ wrote: »
    Yeah there would have to be or else people would be raping it for torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

yet another positive for the town centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Did this happen? Is WiFi now available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Not yet. Waiting patiently though. Found out today that Tesco's have free Wi fi though by pure chance, need to enter clubcard no.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Thats really good news, hope it works out for clonmel and is adopted by others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Any idea who the operator will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

did this ever happen?

its months and months ago that it was announced!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It happened :)

It's not fully operational yet but you can already pick up the SSID in parts of town.

If you want more info then PM Brian Cleary or Twitter @ChamberBrian, the CEO of the Clonmel Chamber of Commerce.

Advertisement