Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Cones

Options
  • 31-07-2011 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

When would be a good time for collecting (dropped) pine cones? I want to make a Christmas arrangement with them this year and I've never done it before so I don't know when is the right time to go looking. Usually they've all been 'took' before I get there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fairly well into the autumn, I think they mostly get blown down by gales as the seeds can disperse while the cone is still on the tree, so they don't need to fall. You may have to go out a couple of times to get them in good conditiion, once they have fallen they collect insects and get damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you. Would early November be about right then?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Probably. Tbh I can't really remember. I do know it was more important to look up into the trees and actually find trees with cones, to look under, than just gaze at the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thank you. Would early November be about right then?

That would be the time but as Looksee says find a suitable tree(s) with plenty of cones and if there's a good storm anytime from October onwards you could have a quick look around for early fallers which would be tighter and less likely to split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks. I was out walking in local parks and in the South Dublin hills over the last week and saw lots of small ones on the trees all right. Didn't see any big ones though. Fingers crossed for November then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement