Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - Taking the p!ss

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

bazz26 wrote: »
    Op, I really don't see where your complaint is to be honest. This new 10 year rule was all over the media since last year, it's not something the NCTS just introduced at the drop of a hat or quitely slipped it in there to catch people out.

Also you can get your NCT done 3 months before it's due date (6 months if it's the car's first NCT). Getting it done 2 or 3 months after it's due date means you get a reduced time to the next due date and rightly so imo. Why should someone who didn't bother getting it done on time or for any other reason get a full year or two from that date? If this was the way then most people would simply leave it on the long finger or not bother at all.

I'm sorry bazz26 but I don't feel you have read my posts in full to fully appreciate my complaint or if you have it doesn't really show in your post. Per se I am not protesting at the new one year rule for cars 10 years old and older. What I am protesting at is my cousins specific situation. Just to recap from my original post...
    I understand that the car is 10 years old and on that basis he would only be expecting 1 year if it was due to be NCT'd any time after the new rule came in for cars 10 years old and older (commenced in June of this year I believe). My issue is the fact that his car was was due to be tested in April and if it was tested then he would have got a 2 year test...then NCT come along and backdate tests to registration dates (to their advantage I might add). Following their own logic should he not have got a valid NCT cert up until April 2013 I'd be thinking?

...and thats where my complaint specifically lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm sorry bazz26 but I don't feel you have read my posts in full to fully appreciate my complaint or if you have it doesn't really show in your post. Per se I am not protesting at the new one year rule for cars 10 years old and older. What I am protesting at is my cousins specific situation. Just to recap from my original post...
    Originally Posted by johndaman66 View Post
    I understand that the car is 10 years old and on that basis he would only be expecting 1 year if it was due to be NCT'd any time after the new rule came in for cars 10 years old and older (commenced in June of this year I believe). My issue is the fact that his car was was due to be tested in April and if it was tested then he would have got a 2 year test...then NCT come along and backdate tests to registration dates (to their advantage I might add). Following their own logic should he not have got a valid NCT cert up until April 2013 I'd be thinking?

...and thats where my complaint specifically lies.

I still don't see your point. Your cousin bought a car without NCT, which was due in April and would have gotten a 2 year cert. When they took the car for the NCT the law had changed and now they only get a 1 year cert. Simple?

Where is the scam, apart from garages not NCTing cars sitting on their yards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Your argument is flawed fella.There is nothing special about your cousin's situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I see the point - sort of - but surely he considered the possibility that this would happen before he bought the car. This year I've put 2 x 10+ year old cars through the NCT, they were due in March and April. I made certain to get them tested in advance of the due dates as I didn't know what would happen if things dragged on (due to no available slots, retests etc.) after June 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

OP - the dating has always been like this. If you fail to NCT the car on time, your test will be shorter. That's your punishment for being late ;)

I put 2 of my over 10 year old cars through this year to get the 2 year NCT. In the second case, the car wasn't due a test until 27th August 2011 so I could not have it tested until 27th May. Was out of the country until 31st May (very last day you could get a 2 year test) but they found a slot for me in Carlow on that very day. 27 month long NCT was the result :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

What they are trying to say is if you brought a car to be tested 6 months late before, you would not get a cert for 24 months. You will technically only get a cert for 18 months. I suppose a lot of people just assume it's back dated but lets face it, it's not. It's being driven around (or not ) without a valid nct. So you get it cleared up until the next due date which is done by registration.

I can understand completely where you think your cousin is entitled to 2 years, but he's not and I think he knows it. Due to the new rule in effect when he had it tested he has it from that day to the next due date, which is now next year.

He won't get anywhere trying to argue his case because when it boils down to it, he doesn't have one. Had it been tested before June 1st, then it would have been a cert until 2013.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I still don't see your point. Your cousin bought a car without NCT, which was due in April and would have gotten a 2 year cert. When they took the car for the NCT the law had changed and now they only get a 1 year cert. Simple?

Where is the scam, apart from garages not NCTing cars sitting on their yards?
    Your argument is flawed fella.There is nothing special about your cousin's situation
    unkel wrote: »
    OP - the dating has always been like this. If you fail to NCT the car on time, your test will be shorter. That's your punishment for being late wink.gif

I put 2 of my over 10 year old cars through this year to get the 2 year NCT. In the second case, the car wasn't due a test until 27th August 2011 so I could not have it tested until 27th May. Was out of the country until 31st May (very last day you could get a 2 year test) but they found a slot for me in Carlow on that very day. 27 month long NCT was the result smile.gif

Frankly to be honest folk I'm getting a wee bit blue in the face at this stage from trying to reiterate my point. I don't know if its purposely being ignored or just not being picked up upon in certain camps but I still feel this obvious inconsistency has not being adequately addressed. While I acknowledge the point Yawns is making...
    Yawns wrote: »
    What they are trying to say is if you brought a car to be tested 6 months late before, you would not get a cert for 24 months. You will technically only get a cert for 18 months. I suppose a lot of people just assume it's back dated but lets face it, it's not. It's being driven around (or not ) without a valid nct. So you get it cleared up until the next due date which is done by registration.

I do not agree with it based on NCTS own methodology of tracking registration dates. I still stand firmly by my initial point that NCTS are manipulating the new rule in their own favour for examples like my cousins. I'm not suggesting my cousin is in anyway unique or special. There is no doubt in my mind that others are in similar situations to him and were what I see as short changed.

By the way nobody addressed my concern when I highlighted this inconsistency earlier: -
    darokane wrote: »
    my car was registered in march 2001, car was tested late(july 2011), test isnt up until march 2013

NCTS are manipulating the new rule in their own favour

Dude, get over it. NCT is valid for 2 years from when it was supposed to be tested. Now it is 1 year for 10 year and older cars. Simple rule, clear to see on the NCT website and discussed here many a time. Ignorance of this rule is not a valid excuse.

Your cousin should be glad he did not get stopped and ended up with 5 penalty points and a €1,500 fine tbh...

unkel wrote: »
    Dude, get over it. NCT is valid for 2 years from when it was supposed to be tested. Now it is 1 year for 10 year and older cars. Simple rule, clear to see on the NCT website and discussed here many a time. Ignorance of this rule is not a valid excuse.

Your cousin should be glad he did not get stopped and ended up with 5 penalty points and a €1,500 fine tbh...

Well dude firstly you are too eager to assume he was driving the car without an NCT. He wasn't and only put the car on the road in the past few days after it passed NCT.

And the car was supposed to be tested in mid April, 2011 at which point he would have got a test up until April, 2013, so hence they should have granted him an NCT cert up until April, 2013, even at the point he was NCT'ing it last week.

And still were not bothering to address this one.....
    darokane wrote: »
    my car was registered in march 2001, car was tested late(july 2011), test isnt up until march 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well dude firstly you are too eager to assume he was driving the car without an NCT. He wasn't and only put the car on the road in the past few days after it passed NCT.

And the car was supposed to be tested in mid April, 2011 at which point he would have got a test up until April, 2013, so hence they should have granted him an NCT cert up until April, 2013, even at the point he was NCT'ing it last week.

If the garage had NCT'd the car on it's due date your cousin would have had 2 years. When the car was NCT'd, 3 months after it was due, the law had changed and you only get 1 year.

What's the difference between your cousin buying a car without NCT and someone driving the car without NCT? Technically neither car should be on the road and when both get the NCT done then it's dated to the cars registration date. To make the system be capable of changing the date of expiry would leave it open to more corruption then it already has.

The issue here is garages not spending €50 to make their cars saleable, instead waiting for someone to buy it before making it legal. Guaranteed NCT pass isn't the same as NCT passed

And still were not bothering to address this one.....
    Originally Posted by darokane
    They could be lying or not. Doesn't alter the fact that when your cousin got their car tested the law was for an annual cert.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Whilst you are acknowledging the fact that when a test is passed and cleared up to the next due date, due to the new rule in effect at the time of the testing, your cousins car is next due in 2012.

As for why someone else had their car pass with a 2 year cert after doing the test, I have no answer for that. None of us here would, it could have been a genuine mistake on the testers part and a 1 year cert should have been issued. Unfortunately we'll never know. Maybe it's as you say and a tester managed to change the information on the computer to print a 2 year instead of 1. But if someone did that, it would very stupid as it could be easily checked. Car was supposed to get a 1 year cert only.

Maybe this is the new €50 in the ashtray fad. :D

Yawns wrote: »
    Whilst you are acknowledging the fact that when a test is passed and cleared up to the next due date, due to the new rule in effect at the time of the testing, your cousins car is next due in 2012.

As for why someone else had their car pass with a 2 year cert after doing the test, I have no answer for that. None of us here would, it could have been a genuine mistake on the testers part and a 1 year cert should have been issued. Unfortunately we'll never know. Maybe it's as you say and a tester managed to change the information on the computer to print a 2 year instead of 1. But if someone did that, it would very stupid as it could be easily checked. Car was supposed to get a 1 year cert only.

Maybe this is the new €50 in the ashtray fad. :D

And you see that which I've bolded is what I'm getting at too. As we have already establised NCTS have arguably very much manipulated their own rule of tracking registration date in their own favour when it comes to instances like my cousins, and I do appreciate you can look at it from two point of views but I still stand by the fact that they choose to manipulate the rule in their own favour. But what the hell is the likes of this inconsistency about? Lets face they are an organisation that would want to be doing everything in their power to restore some form of public confidence in them. Recent stories I've heard about them together with the Prime Time investigates program means my opinion of them is way down in the gutter now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

And you see that which I've bolded is what I'm getting at too. As we have already establised NCTS have arguably very much manipulated their own rule of tracking registration date in their own favour when it comes to instances like my cousins, and I do appreciate you can look at it from two point of views but I still stand by the fact that they choose to manipulate the rule in their own favour. But what the hell is the likes of this inconsistency about? Lets face they are an organisation that would want to be doing everything in their power to restore some form of public confidence in them. Recent stories I've heard about them together with the Prime Time investigates program means my opinion of them is way down in the gutter now

Wow, that's quite an accusation! With respect J, it's not established as fact, it's simply your belief (a belief you are fully entitled to hold). However, if you want to continue to claim it to be fact then you will have to provide convincing evidence to us that your cousin was entitled to a 2yr cert even though they did not present their car for testing until after the new rule had kicked in. I have provided substantial proof which counteracts that claim.

You keep using the term "manipulation" as if to suggest they broke or bent a rule. Please explain how they manipulated the rule to their favour when that very rule was already in force when the owner presented their car for the test. All they done was apply it, as per the law.

If the rule change had gone the other way (3yr cert) and the NCT gave your cousin a 3yr cert instead of the 2yr cert you feel he should have got would you still insist they manipulated the rule?

Your cousin missed the boat, plain and simple.
    As for the other poster getting 2yrs, I guess he struck it lucky and someone made a mistake in his favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In other news..... :pac:

Not your ornery onager

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Wow, that's quite an accusation! With respect J, it's not established as fact, it's simply your belief (a belief you are fully entitled to hold). However, if you want to continue to claim it to be fact then you will have to provide convincing evidence to us that your cousin was entitled to a 2yr cert even though they did not present their car for testing until after the new rule had kicked in. I have provided substantial proof which counteracts that claim.

You keep using the term "manipulation" as if to suggest they broke or bent a rule. Please explain how they manipulated the rule to their favour when that very rule was already in force when the owner presented their car for the test. All they done was apply it, as per the law.

If the rule change had gone the other way (3yr cert) and the NCT gave your cousin a 3yr cert instead of the 2yr cert you feel he should have got would you still insist they manipulated the rule?

Your cousin missed the boat, plain and simple.
    As for the other poster getting 2yrs, I guess he struck it lucky and someone made a mistake in his favour.

My sentiments exactly ^^^

Advertisement