Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing houses and the role of the estate agent

Options
  • 31-07-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Have been viewing houses recently (cue the flash of lightening and roll of thunder for all those who follow the Armageddon school of thought on the current property market!), and was curious to hear of people's views on how they think a house is best shown by an estate agent. E.g. might it be when the estate agent introduces themselves and then let's you off to your own devices while they waiting outside or maybe when they tour you round the house etc? Or have people experienced other approaches which seemed much better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Have been viewing houses recently (cue the flash of lightening and roll of thunder for all those who follow the Armageddon school of thought on the current property market!), and was curious to hear of people's views on how they think a house is best shown by an estate agent. E.g. might it be when the estate agent introduces themselves and then let's you off to your own devices while they waiting outside or maybe when they tour you round the house etc? Or have people experienced other approaches which seemed much better?

As one who has sold and bought in the past three years, some advice:

1. DO NOT take the EA's advice on the property market and its direction. EVER.

2. When we bought (09) WE had to do the running to both the vendor and the EA. It was ridiculous.

3. Box clever. Use every tool at your disposal. I reckon proper research saved us €100k (seriously).

Visit these sites:

www.thepropertypin.com

www.irishhousehunter.com

www.irishpropertywatch.com

And PLEASE - FOR YOUR OWN SAKE - do not buy yet. There is some way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Depends on the house. Assuming standard, none-too-big house without any interesting things to point out, I would think it best the EA introduces himself, talks briefly about the good points of the house and neighbourhood maybe while showing around downstairs, then sits at the kitchen table or goes outside while you tour the house. I never liked EAs that followed your every move, makes you feel as if they don't trust you, plus makes it difficult to discuss the house with your partner when the EA is at your elbow...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Never go by the prices shown on Certain Wbsites, see the difference below.

€175,000
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/9-lambourne-village-clontarf-dublin-3/435512

Same property

€195,000
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=573576

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is some tool called property bee you use with firefox

I've never used it or seen it work but I believe it shows internet history can show price changes on advertisements

Could be useful when the agent starts telling you about it's price and how long on the market

Advertisement