Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course should I take? Also CAO?

• 31-07-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭

OK so since I was a kid I have been interested in the gaming industry and software development. I know many might think that it is a childish dream but I would love a job that I would have enjoyment from and the passion to actual do the job. So my questions are:
    Number one, what course should I take to become involved in IT or the Gaming Industry or Software Development etc.
    Number two, would there be job vacancies and would it be tough to pursue a career in this sector?

Finally I was wondering about the CAO. Am I able to put courses that are not similar down like for instance Computer Science from NUIG and then an Economic Course from UCD or do all courses have to be same/similar. Also what way does it go again when choosing. Say if I got the required points to do all of the courses I put down do I have to do the first one or do I get to make a choice to which university? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Adamocovic wrote: »
    OK so since I was a kid I have been interested in the gaming industry and software development. I know many might think that it is a childish dream but I would love a job that I would have enjoyment from and the passion to actual do the job. So my questions are:
    Number one, what course should I take to become involved in IT or the Gaming Industry or Software Development etc.
    Number two, would there be job vacancies and would it be tough to pursue a career in this sector?

Finally I was wondering about the CAO. Am I able to put courses that are not similar down like for instance Computer Science from NUIG and then an Economic Course from UCD or do all courses have to be same/similar. Also what way does it go again when choosing. Say if I got the required points to do all of the courses I put down do I have to do the first one or do I get to make a choice to which university? Thank you

You can put whatever courses you want on your CAO, they don't have to be in any way related. But they must be in order of your preference. If you get the points for your first choice then everything under it disappears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Adamocovic wrote: »

I can't answer your question about the course but about the CAO:

You can put down whatever courses you like, up to 10 Level 8 courses. They don't have to be related in any way.

You must put down your choices in order of preference and nothing else, as you will be offered ONE course and one course only.* You will be offered the highest up course on your CAO for which you get the points. For example, if course number 1 is 300 points and course number 2 is 400 points, and you get 450, you will be offered course number 1. You will not get to choose between 1 and 2 just because you got the points for both.

*(unless in 2nd round offers the points for a higher up course on your CAO drop, you may be offered the higher course, never a lower down course, which is why your order of preference is so important).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

thanks for the replies guys

Advertisement