Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet flush

Options
  • 31-07-2011 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

The toilet has gone all weird. When you press the lever to flush it, it's resistant, and (instead of a great rush of water then nothing but the sound of the cistern filling again), there's a slow and gradual release of water.

How can I fix this, and what causes it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

When you lift the lid on the cistern the check the wire that connects the handle to the box...When you pull the handle on the toilet the wire pulls like a shaft out of the box in the cistern...Basically that can get worn so when you try to flush the shaft isn't being pulled up high enough by the wireattatched to the handle and there for not flushing properly...You can get a new box for the cistern for 16 euro or so...only takes 20 mins to take out old one and put in new one;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

When you lift the lid on the cistern the check the wire that connects the handle to the box...When you pull the handle on the toilet the wire pulls like a shaft out of the box in the cistern...Basically that can get worn so when you try to flush the shaft isn't being pulled up high enough by the wireattatched to the handle and there for not flushing properly...You can get a new box for the cistern for 16 euro or so...only takes 20 mins to take out old one and put in new one;)

Thanks babysbaby01, will try this. When I take out the old one, do I have to turn off the water or anything?

By the way, how do I get out the box? This is what I'm seeing, below (ignore the bottles of water, they're just my eco-ness).

photostream

photostream

Wait, why won't boards.ie pick up those flikr images?

No bud,just tie up the ball cock and water won't fill the cistern the just scoop out any water in the cistern and you can take out the box in the cistern from the underside of the cistern

babys, the underside of the cistern appears to be solid porcelain, its only connection the plastic pipe leading down the the bowl.

Here's those photos again, as links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61713504@N07/5993229823/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61713504@N07/5993230163/

Oh, wait, I think I see what you mean; flush, tie the ball up, empty the whole cistern and then take the whole cistern off the plastic pipe underneath? Or maybe not?

Yep that's the way.....sounds worse than it is.....

• Advertisement

Yep that's the way.....sounds worse than it is.....

Urr. I'm going out for a little while, Captain Scott; I may be gone for some time...

Thanks baby, problem solved, or rather problem(s). The membrane inside the box was holed, but the other source of what's apparently called a 'lazy toilet' was my greenness - one of the two bottles of water I'd put in to lessen the amount of water I was flushing had shed its plastic label, which had stuck itself in the neck of the pipe leading into the bowl. All fixed now, thanks to your good advice.

Advertisement