Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best web tv box?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭

Could anyone on here recommend a good/cheap web tv box?
    Primarily all I need it for is for watching live sports streams through my tv rather than on my laptop.
    I was using a ps3 up to recently but that got the dreaded ylod and no longer works.
    I have found 3 that look like they'd do the job,the logitech revue,the boxee box and the Android 2.2 IPTV web tv box.
    Which one of these would do the job best or is there a better option out there?
    I'm leaning towards the android box as It's the cheapest and I already have an android phone (htc desire) and can watch football etc on that but obviously the screen is way too small..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrbutch

Hi all, Does anybody have an answer for this?

I've been looking at the latest boxes: Apple TV, Roku XL & Sony's Google TV box.

I'm dumping BSkyB after years of being ripped off and poor service and signing up for there Now TV service as 99% of the time I watch moves. I don't bother with any other channels except occasionally a bit of sport. I know lots of people that watch Football/Soccer on there laptops but wanted a box I could connect to my TV that would stream Now TV & possibly Netflix, but also give me the possibility of streaming sport.

Thanks for any help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Another Android gadget (Jelly Bean), price £49.

But can I stream soccer & Now TV or Netflix on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

mrbutch wrote: »
    But can I stream soccer & Now TV or Netflix on it?
    Best have a read round this Forum.

That Android stick doesn't work right at all really.

I've been doing more research and it look like a jailbroken Apple TV2 & a Roku XL is the way to go. Am I heading in the right direction? Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement

Laptop with broken screen off E-bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Laptop with broken screen off E-bay.

Correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

what website were you using to view the games and stuff on? thanks

Correct answer.
    Ooh, what do i win?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

mrbutch wrote: »
    I've been doing more research and it look like a jailbroken Apple TV2 & a Roku XL is the way to go. Am I heading in the right direction? Any other suggestions?

Have you purchased anything yet?

Have been thinking about getting OH a Roku box, but I was under impression that it had Filmon TV which it appears it doesn't damnit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GET laptop ,broken screen,at least you can get netflix,youtube, GET one that has winxp, 500 meg ram,hdmi out.
    most webtv units are designed for the us market,
    With a laptop you can add on memory,bigger hard drive.
    Many websites use flash, some pc,laptop is the best for that.
    Android support for flash is limited.
    IF you are good with tech,you can disconnect the signal, and power supply to the screen,
    Don,t leave any leads hanging out that can short out,Separate them, and put tape over the end connectors.

remove screen,
    quote; I think unless you do serious damage or have "issues" pulling it out, you'll be fine by removing it. First, you need the keyboard out. Typically a laptop has three screws in the bottom under the paneling. Remove the screws located on any of the bays (or possibly under your battery) which almost always have a symbol indicating a keyboard screw. Remove only these screws or other screws which may be holding down the plate protecting the base of the hinge. Carefully (VERY CAREFULLY) remove the keys using a pulling up motion.

Don't get angry and try to rip the bitch out because there is a ribbon attached to the bottom of it that sends your keystrokes to the mobo. Detach the ribbon, remove the keyboard and remove any paneling. Every inch of this process should be done slowly. There should be two sets of wires if it's a modern laptop. One for both the webcam and wifi antenna and another for the monitor. After disconnecting these wires from the motherboard/onboard graphics cards (slowly, mind you) you should find that at this point you can either:
    A. Take apart the over-complex LCD framing and retrieve the wiring (in case you ever want to replace the screen) and/or wifi antenna and stuff the thing back in.

Patch the laptop back up and make sure to use the right size screws. Dont drill through the board on the way back in. Good luck. end quote.
    OR just leave the screen, closed ,go to power settings,
    when screen is closed= do nothing, do not shut down.
    Do not leave any BARE wires anywhere,seal them and tape them tight.
    OTherwise you,short out the motherboard, or power supply.

SEE http://www.adverts.ie/laptops/dell-lattitude/2658613

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

riclad wrote: »

How do you propose connecting this Dell to a HD TV?

ALL hdtvs have vga in,say use 1024x768 ,refresh rate 60mhz.OR Just buy a laptop, that has hdmi out.Most streaming websites don,t stream at
    1080p for obvious reasons.
    Theres an advertiser on adverts ie ,selling dual core laptops,80 euro,cpu 2.0ghz
    3months gaurantee.Just check the model no,specs,does it have hdmi out before you buy.

riclad wrote: »
    ALL hdtvs have vga in,say use 1024x768 ,refresh rate 60mhz.

What about sound, vga doesn't carry sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What about sound, vga doesn't carry sound

jUcQGgi.jpg

OK, a bit longer maybe... ;)

IF you are watching, 4 od,youtube, netflix, streaming tv,rte player vga connection is fine.The audio cables would cost 5 euro in power city,
    get vga , audio cables At least 3 foot.AS in previous post, you need ,
    3.5mm audio male to 2 rca stereo .Some tvs, have rca in ,l,r, or else, 3.5mm audio in .

Torqay wrote: »
    jUcQGgi.jpg

OK, a bit longer maybe... ;)

It's getting a little messy, isn't it. Does the TV have those audio inputs?

My point is, it's a great idea to use an old laptop, but make sure what ever one you select at least has HDMI so it carries sound and does full HD. It's a complete waste of 50 quid to buy that Dell.

if I Was buying a webtv unit i,d get a laptop cpu 1.o ,
    or 1.5 ghz single core ,as slower cpu =less heat ,less fan noise ,lower maintenance in the long run.One that has standard onboard grahics card
    Web tv does nt require a dual core 3.0ghz cpu, with ati graphics, 500meg video ram.
    My laptop is single core,cpu,silent ,99 per cent of the time the fan is completely silent.128 meg video ram.

Advertisement