Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Orizio wrote: »
    Very simply, as people who grow up in Dublin city (and to a lesser extent, Cork and Limerick city) are well-educated, sophisticated and urbane, they are far too open minded and progressive to be homophobic. Urbanites are overwhelmingly pro-gay rights, and anti-tradtionalism while culchies tend to be overwhemlingly pro-Catholicism and extremely narrow minded in their views, invariably being racist, homophobic, sexist and so on.

As such, it stands to reason that if the media is attacking Norris with a homphobic hate campaign - as they are - the media must be culchie run. One needs only to look at the non-stop GAA coverage in the media - even though decent human beings play/follow rugby and cricket - and the media's massive defense of the RCC in recent weeks to show just how that the Irish-media is bogger run.

fooking breathtaking, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Very simply, as people who grow up in Dublin city (and to a lesser extent, Cork and Limerick city) are well-educated, sophisticated and urbane, they are far too open minded and progressive to be homophobic. Urbanites are overwhelmingly pro-gay rights, and anti-tradtionalism while culchies tend to be overwhemlingly pro-Catholicism and extremely narrow minded in their views, invariably being racist, homophobic, sexist and so on

You have got to be trolling..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

You have got to be trolling..

And a mod at that. I thought they had to pass some sort of exam, which would surely have included no-trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

I'd have to disagree. I live in a rural area,and during the first divorce referendum I remember an old farmer saying to me he would be voting in favour of divorce because ceratin people " had " to get married and it just didn't work out well for anyone, and they were usually "homosexuals".
    Another old lady was a devout Catholic, but was in favour of divorce-4 of her childrens marriages had broken down, and she was in favour of abortion in cases of rape and if the child was going to be handicapped. I was taken aback, but she said that she came to these conclusions based on her life's experience.
    The real conservatives are those who espouse liberal causes, but it's just to make them "look modern and progressive". **** that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

xoxyx wrote: »
    when the people who are running this country have done a whole lot worse. IMHO.

worse than writing a letter of support for a child abuser?
    Name them please?

The bishops have rightly been blasted for protecting child abusers why not norris? I don't think he was as bad as the bishops but his letters is along the same lines - not even going into the territory of writing it on offical paper etc...and doing it in his offical capacity as Senator.

That's stinks and if it was an FF TD who do did that we'd have their blood by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

MOSSAD wrote: »
    Isn't that the pity of it? A bunch of watching-my-seat politicians decide for the people, instead of letting the guy get on the ballot paper and letting us decide. Sean Gallagher? What has he done for the country? Michael D? Who the hell heard of Mary Davis before she put her name forward? If the guy does not get on the ballot paper, it's a bad day for democracy.

Sean Gallagher, successful businessman. Michael D, has served in politics and in government and is known for being very passionate about issues he holds dear to his heart and has been a driving force behind Galway United football club for many years. Mary Davis, you never heard of her? You did notice the World Special Olympics that were held here in 2003 behind which she was a driving force? Here's a link to help you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Special_Olympics_World_Summer_Games , she has worked tirelessly in this field for many years, here's another link to help you out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Davis_%28activist%29

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Then again, literally the only thing anybody seems to have to say about Mary Davis is that she had something to do with the Special Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's not made clear (at least not in those reports anyway) whether it was a letter on headed paper or not. Mr. Mitchell should be required to make a statement to clarify that himself, although I'm sure he won't have to; this story won't receive anywhere near as much attention as the Norris case.

I'd like to know if Mitchell is consistent in espousing opposition to the death penalty everywhere and to every case or was it a case that he has sympathy for this particular murderer because of his (ironically enough) 'pro-life' views?

Like you, I won't hold my breath yet but i imagine it will come up when the campaign proper begins.

The thing on the headed paper could be less damaging for Mitchell as Ireland and the EU totally oppose the use of the death penalty so it is national and EU policy as such.

Very simply, as people who grow up in Dublin city (and to a lesser extent, Cork and Limerick city) are well-educated, sophisticated and urbane, they are far too open minded and progressive to be homophobic. Urbanites are overwhelmingly pro-gay rights, and anti-tradtionalism while culchies tend to be overwhemlingly pro-Catholicism and extremely narrow minded in their views, invariably being racist, homophobic, sexist and so on.

As such, it stands to reason that if the media is attacking Norris with a homphobic hate campaign - as they are - the media must be culchie run. One needs only to look at the non-stop GAA coverage in the media - even though decent human beings play/follow rugby and cricket - and the media's massive defense of the RCC in recent weeks to show just how that the Irish-media is bogger run.

Can you breathe with your head stuck that far up your posterior orifice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

*claps very slowly*

• Advertisement

Then again, literally the only thing anybody seems to have to say about Mary Davis is that she had something to do with the Special Olympics.

yes, because as you have worked in this field you will know she has a huge amount of time on her hands for so many other things. Or possibly being the Director of the Europe/Eurasia Special Olympics is way too time consuming for her to be involved in much more? Did you think all she did in her life was organise the games here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

But here's the thing. A lot of people are voting for Norris because he's an interesting figure who can speak well and has done a lot of good. That's fine if he has a seat in the Seanad. But, this is a vote for presidency.

As our president, he would have to put his agendas behind him and act solely for the good of our country. He won't be part of a larger party - he will be one person representing us. And, despite all the good work he does, he is not suitable for that role.

I like David Norris, but I don't think he would be able to take any job objectively. With all his good intentions, David needs somebody to rein him in. We need somebody with a bit of a cooler head.

I think you need to show a bit more faith in David. We can do our bit - however if we want David to become President we need to destroy the homophobic culchie media that is doing its utmost to destroy him.

Isn't that the pity of it? A bunch of watching-my-seat politicians decide for the people, instead of letting the guy get on the ballot paper and letting us decide. Sean Gallagher? What has he done for the country? Michael D? Who the hell heard of Mary Davis before she put her name forward? If the guy does not get on the ballot paper, it's a bad day for democracy.

I don't agree with the current nomination process and it has to be said at this stage that both Gallagher and Davis are not on the ballot paper yet.
    That said, the process is geared towards the party political status quo for sure and should be changed - I mean Senate members elected through rotten boroughs reprersenting a handful of people should not be in a position to have such a large say in the matter.

The three that have withdrawn support have decided that over this latest matter - to be frank, I don't blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

We can do our bit - however if we want David to become President we need ........

....a fooking miracle mate! :D

I think you need to show a bit more faith in David. We can do our bit - however if we want David to become President we need to destroy the homophobic culchie media that is doing its utmost to destroy him.

Repeat yourself much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What the media - and perhaps some people? - need to remember at the back of it all is "To Err Is Human, To Forgive Divine" - and lest we forget, especially those with short memories, this country has already elected and sometimes re-elected maybe persons of questionable character?

LOL!
    It's the Presidency of Ireland not Old Wesley Rugby Club!
    Good try tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ah now, Higgins has been involved in Irish politics for 30+ years and is also a prominent human rights campaigner. He's certainly a worthy candidate in my opinion.

Although I do agree that Norris' name should still be on the ballot paper, even if many who were supporting him (including myself) are now unlikely to vote for him. He should have had the nomination sewn up ages ago; FG's move to block him was cowardly, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

*claps very slowly*

You are in Galway and therefore are not as well-educated, sophisticated and urbane as those folk in town. :p

Mossad, I'll get back to you re: our campaign to dismantle the culchie media. Thanks for the pm mate, this is a big first step. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Kess73 wrote: »
    You are in Galway and therefore are not as well-educated, sophisticated and urbane as those folk in town. :p

Which town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Wow oh wow, That is world class wummin or trolling as it is known as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

worse than writing a letter of support for a child abuser?

Norris wrote a character reference for somebody who was accused of statutory rape. Statutory rape does not, necessarily, mean child abuse - especially having regard to the differing ages of consent in different countries and the different practices which are in place.

We should really be careful to check out the facts before we make a judgement. I've read a lot about this and, yes, I do think that politicians who we have previously had in power, who have fecked a lot of ground level folks over, have done worse than writing a character references for somebody who may have hooked up with a 15 year old.

C'mon. In our society, there are many 15 year olds with 1 year old children. They're not sacrosanct!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rich coming from a Cork man or are you all langers rather than culchies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

shows how much you really know us the country folk, what is the difference between the country folk and the city folk, i dont see any,

Ah, here. Do we really want David to become President? Why?????

Just because he's facing opposition from homophobic sectors, doesn't mean that he's right for the job!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

C'mon. In our society, there are many 15 year olds with 1 year old children. They're not sacrosanct!!

How many of them were knocked up by a 40yo?

CramCycle wrote: »
    How many of them were knocked up by a 40yo?

75%?

Biggins wrote: »
    What the media - and perhaps some people? - need to remember at the back of it all is "To Err Is Human, To Forgive Divine" - and lest we forget, especially those with short memories, this country has already elected and sometimes re-elected maybe persons of questionable character?

Agreed Biggins - I heard our local pastor here in Foxrock point out that we should forgive these so-called 'paedophile' preachers in the US that are relentlessly attacked by the American media. As you say, we are all human, we all make mistakes. :)

• Advertisement

Which town?

I saw 'The Guard', I know what you lot are like. Ostracize any black people lately? :mad:

Advertisement