Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 carlos D

annascott wrote: »
    This has all been a horrid smear campaign which is targeted at homophobes and people too dumb to think for themselves. The things that have been highlighted have all been taken completely out of context and twisted.

So because I don't believe what YOU tell me to believe I am incapable of independent thought? You are exactly why Norris won't be elected,you have no interest in the greater good of the people of Ireland. Your only interest is wanting to feel intellectually superior over those who refuse to bow to your politically correct tyranny.

I am not a homophobe, I am afraid of paedophelia and people who justify it.

The things said were not out of context, Norris went on Morning Ireland himself and could barely contain his excitement in condescendingly telling people of how Plato's Symposium justifies paedophelia. So that was not out of context. And the letter he wrote to the judge was to defend someone who raped a 15 year old boy,can you justify that one for me?

Your horrible ugly post is a last desperate cry against those who oppose Norris,not because he is gay,but because he is a conceited and divisive figure who refuses to acknowledge any wrong doing even when a molested 15 year old boy is concerned. Question others intelligence all you want,call them bigoted all you want,but the country is finally seeing the bull behind Norris's supporters who are blind to his many many faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

He is pro Norris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Any idea of the press conference will be on the radio or anything? Will enjoy hearing him squirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I've spent the weekend listening to the radio and reading about this issue and have decided that if Norris gets nominated then I'll still vote for him.

I think he made a stupid decision here, but it was an understandable one. I don't think he should have, but I can see why he did, plead clemancy for someone he loved - given the situation, and the fact the sex was consensual. I don't think the headed notepaper is a big deal either - Irish politicians have long used their office to try and influence our own judiciary and that of other nations. I'm also sure each of the other candidates for the Aras probably have an equally stupid error of judgement in their past, but I think Norris is being targeted unfairly here, and that annoys me.

I think the timing of this revelation is very unfortunate given we're all hyper-sensitive about Cloyne and I hope we don't lose a good man over that.

I don't expect my president to be perfect, just human and willing to give their all to represent this country. I still think David Norris is the best current choice that we have.
    So you think there is nothing wrong with trying to get someone off the hook for kiddie fiddling? Are you a bishop or Priest by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

David Norris pulls out of race to be the next President

Tuesday August 02 2011

Senator David Norris was this afternoon set to publically announce his withdrawal from the Presidential race after informing campaign staff of his decision.

He has called a press conference for 3pm at his North Great Georges Street home to confirm his decision.

It comes after days of debate and controversy following the weekend revelations that he sought clemency from an Israeli court, on Seanad headed paper, for his former partner Ezra Yitzhak Nawi on his conviction for the statutory rape of a 15-year-old Palestinian boy in 1997.

It emerged today that Senator Norris had a relationship with Mr Yitzhak Nawi for almost 30 years and the couple were together until 2001 – four years after his partner’s conviction for having sex with a minor.

Senator Norris told a Foreign Affairs Committee in 2006 that he was proud of his former partner of “nearly 30 years Ezra Yitzhak, whose work in the villages around south Hebron was seen by the committee on its visit to the area”.

Mr Norris, who has been unavailable for comment since the weekend, gave an interview to journalist Joe Jackson for the Sunday Independent in 2002.

In it he said that his relationship with Mr Nawi had lasted 26 years and ended in 2001. The letters to the Israeli court after Mr Nawi’s conviction for statutory rape in 1997, do not mention that the pair were former lovers.

Senator Norris’s presidential hopes vanished when three of his key backers withdrew their support over the controversy.

Independent TDs Finian McGrath, John Halligan and Thomas Pringle made the move after his appeal to keep his former partner out of jail emerged.

It meant that Mr Norris only had the public support of 11 TDs and senators -- and needed nine more to get into the race.

He had been expected to hold a press conference to try to salvage his campaign by answering questions about his letter, which was on Seanad notepaper.

But he was dealt a severe blow by the departure of three supporters in advance -- and it is was highly unlikely that he could recruit new backers.

Mr McGrath told the Irish Independent last night that Mr Norris was disappointed when he told him of his decision.

"He apologised for the anxiety of the last few days," he said.

Independent Waterford TD John Halligan said Mr Norris was a decent man who had done "great work". But he said it was a great error to write the letter to the Israeli authorities appealing for leniency for his former partner.

"The office of the president must be beyond reproach and so, after consulting with my supporters, I have decided it would be inappropriate of me to support his bid," he said.

Independent Donegal South West TD Thomas Pringle last night said if he had known about Mr Norris's letter in support of a man convicted of statutory rape beforehand, he wouldn't have supported him.

Mr Norris made no public comment over the last three days since the publication of letters showing he had sought clemency for Ezra Yizhak Nawi, then 45, who was convicted of having sex with a 15-year-old boy.

Last night his supporters appealed to people to start emailing TDs and senators to persuade them to allow him into the race.

Notice

The administrator of his official Facebook page asked them to use a website which allows them to contact all TDs and senators at the click of a button.

Mr Norris will also not host TV3's 'Tonight with Vincent Browne' show this week as had been planned -- as he pulled out at short notice last night.

Mr Norris's campaign manager Liam McCabe could not be contacted. His campaign team has been left in disarray following the resignation of the communications director Jane Cregan, director of elections Derek Murphy and at least eight other members.

But there were two Independent TDs who firmly stood by Mr Norris. Independent Dublin Central TD Maureen O'Sullivan said she wanted the people to decided if Mr Norris was a suitable candidate for president.

Independent Wexford TD Mick Wallace also said that it would be "tough going" for Mr Norris to get the nomination.

Although Mr Wallace is still supporting Mr Norris, he said he was wrong to plead for clemency for his former partner Ezra Yizhak Nawi.

- Michael Brennan, Fiach Kelly, Greg Harkin and Independent.ie reporters

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/david-norris-pulls-out-of-race-to-be-the-next-president-2837579.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Show Time wrote: »
    So you think there is nothing wrong with trying to get someone off the hook for kiddie fiddling? Are you a bishop or Priest by any chance?

He had already been convicted and found guilty, so Norris' letters were never going to get him 'off the hook'. He asked for all mitigating factors to be looked at before a sentence was decided upon, nothing more than that.. and no, it doesn't excuse it. He was stupid to write the letters, and it'll cost him dearly now. But there's no need for the hysterics which some people are displaying. Those calling those still supporting him tacit supporters of paedophilia and so on.. obviously those people have no idea what the word actually means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

carlos D wrote: »
    So because I don't believe what YOU tell me to believe I am incapable of independent thought? You are exactly why Norris won't be elected,you have no interest in the greater good of the people of Ireland. Your only interest is wanting to feel intellectually superior over those who refuse to bow to your politically correct tyranny.

I am not a homophobe, I am afraid of paedophelia and people who justify it.

The things said were not out of context, Norris went on Morning Ireland himself and could barely contain his excitement in condescendingly telling people of how Plato's Symposium justifies paedophelia. So that was not out of context. And the letter he wrote to the judge was to defend someone who raped a 15 year old boy,can you justify that one for me?

Your horrible ugly post is a last desperate cry against those who oppose Norris,not because he is gay,but because he is a conceited and divisive figure who refuses to acknowledge any wrong doing even when a molested 15 year old boy is concerned. Question others intelligence all you want,call them bigoted all you want,but the country is finally seeing the bull behind Norris's supporters who are blind to his many many faults.

wrong..just wrong.

Is his press conference televised anywhere or on the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

People are so desperate to be seen as ultra liberal they are losing sight of how inappropriate and wrong this is . The homomphic tag is weak and silly would anyone be less appalled if it was a 15 year old girl we were talking about ?

No doubt Norris has done some good things in his time as a senator, but the fact remains he has some questionable opinions which he tries to intellectualize which allot of would be intellectuals will lap up.

He is in danger of undoing all the good work he has done on behalf of the gay community. Plus dose anyone wont someone who believes its acceptable for and adult to have allbeit consensual sex with a 15 year old ?

He had already been convicted and found guilty, so Norris' letters were never going to get him 'off the hook'. He asked for all mitigating factors to be looked at before a sentence was decided upon, nothing more than that.. and no, it doesn't excuse it. He was stupid to write the letters, and it'll cost him dearly now. But there's no need for the hysterics which some people are displaying. Those calling those still supporting him tacit supporters of paedophilia and so on.. obviously those people have no idea what the word actually means.
    And it is his mistakes alone which has thankfully cost him a chance to follow in the footsteps of greats like Dev, Lynch and Robinson.
    Also what would you call a 40 year old man messing about with a 15 year old child???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

He wasn't trying to get him off the hook, it was a plea for leniency. And 'kiddie fiddling' is hardly an appropriate way to describe a 15 year old who is acting out of their own free willl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

annascott wrote: »
    Yes, I would still vote for him. He is a wonderful, intelligent and articulate man. This has all been a horrid smear campaign which is targeted at homophobes and people too dumb to think for themselves. The things that have been highlighted have all been taken completely out of context and twisted. It would be laughable if people weren't stupid enough to believe everything that they read...

I don't believe what I am reading when I read this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Game over. He just pulled out

Glad he did the right thing and pulled out, he should probably resign from the senate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Now that Norris has been dealt with by the hysterical masses, let's see how much hysteria can be generated by these far more recent letters ...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=mhojidcwkfoj&c=ireland
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2006/1024/breaking80.html
    http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/news/local/mcgeough_s_royal_pardon_bid_given_td_s_support_1_2882284

Let me guess, none?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Glad he did the right thing and pulled out, he should probably reign from the senate too.

Give him even more power? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

he should probably reign from the senate too.

I don't believe the senate is that powerful..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Glad he did the right thing and pulled out, he should probably reign from the senate too.
    It was the presidency, not the monarchy, he was after.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Well, he's just withdrawn his name now....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

And it is his mistakes alone which has thankfully cost him a chance to follow in the footsteps of greats like Dev, Lynch and Robinson.

Well, let's hope people show the same sense of outrage towards Gay Mitchell, who tried to have the sentence of a double murderer reduced a few years back. It's only right that he should pull out of the race too.
    Also what would you call a 40 year old man messing about with a 15 year old child???[

An idiot. All -philias refer to mental disorders. Not everyone who commits statutory rape has a mental disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

well Im glad to see this entire long running debacle has come to an end , In reality norrises biggest campaign asset and hinderance was his sexuality , now perhaps we can all move on and look at every candidate remaining in a balanced and political light.

Ny vote still remains with sean galagher who, now, may get a fair chance , although i think the higgins 'i just need to puff up my pension' campaign may win

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

an appropriate way to describe a 15 year old who is acting out of their own free willl.

At 15 I thought it would be fine if I got away with it to have sex with someone older, I never got the chance other than a bit of nookie here and there but now that I am older, more mature and generally of sound mind (in comparison to that of a 15yo boy) I can say no, it would not have been OK, even if I said yes, or I went looking for it, it was still wrong if someone said yes. I probably would have been fine or it may have changed my view on standards and appropriateness, wrong is wrong, illegal is illegal.

On a side note, I personally am a big believer of the half your age + 7 rule, maybe Ezra was just bad at math and put a minus in there instead :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

And in other news, an Israeli human rights activist pleads guilty to child sexual abuse.

As Norris says, had Nawi been in Ireland, it is likely his conviction would have been overturned by the safeguards, checks and balances in the legal system here. That, too, is a scandal. Isn't it?

Are you claiming the trial was unfair? Do you have evidence to back this up?

He wasn't trying to get him off the hook, it was a plea for leniency. And 'kiddie fiddling' is hardly an appropriate way to describe a 15 year old who is acting out of their own free willl.

Engaging in sexual relations with a 15 y/o, or using one's official position to seek to influence the authorities in a case involving someone convicted of same, is hardly appropriate either...

But, as long as the people involved are gay, or otherwise part of a minority, then it's ok I s'pose, and anyone who thinks differently is a homophobe, or a racists etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 carlos D

Kanoe wrote: »
    wrong..just wrong.

Sorry, PEDASTRY. Grooming vulnerable young boys by any other name is still grooming young vulnerable boys. A disgusting act of self-delusion by self-serving intellectual degenerates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Lynch was never president.

Well, let's hope people show the same sense of outrage towards Gay Mitchell, who tried to have the sentence of a double murderer reduced a few years back. It's only right that he should pull out of the race too.

An idiot. All -philias refer to mental disorders. Not everyone who commits statutory rape has a mental disorder.
    I would not vote for a blue shirt if my life depended on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How would you describe a 14 year old then or 13, 12, 11 etc. If they are underage they are underage. It is 17 years here by the way and 18 in some places and may have something to do with their maturity or mental capacity to make proper and informed decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So when does the Gay Mitchell witch hunt start? Or does he get away with it because he's straight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Glad he did the right thing and pulled out, he should probably resign from the senate too.

He definitely should stand down as Senator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

'Kiddie fiddling' would be an incorrect (and sensationalist) term, but we're splitting hairs here. You don't plead for leniency in this case, unless it's a request for the guy involved to seek counseling. And you don't do it on headed parliamentary paper with an implication that you could be president one day (if you're thinking about this, you should at least have some foresight that the letter will one day come back and bite you on your ass).

If this was a letter defending a man (or woman) having sex with a girl (or boy), I would like to think the same standards would be applied by the media. If this happens in the future, then we can ask questions about the media then. Regardless, it's still wrong.

Advertisement