Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

looksee wrote: »
    We must hope for a President with the dignity and instinctive courtesy of Mary McAleese, someone who can put aside their ego in order to be the formal and professional reperesentative of the country.

Like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

looksee wrote: »
    I was going to vote for Norris, now I am not.

I was going to vote for Bertie, now I am not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The overreaction to that incident has parallels here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Isn't it time to move on a bit? When somebody uses their suffering as a metaphor, the Jews, or in that case, other like minded fundamentalists, do the routine two step upset mambo again!
    Boo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

The thing is, was she far wrong? Mary McAleese has been an excellent President at at the times when it was needed spoke as a voice for the ordinary Irish people in a way that David Norris would not have been able to because in my humble opinion he is detached from the ordinary ground floor of life in this country. The Nazi comment was not her finest hour but to compare that comment to David Norris' actions is laughable.

• Advertisement

The point I'm trying to make is that nobody is free from making errors of judgement. Mary McAlesse is as prone as anyone to making gaffes as anyone.

The point I'm trying to make is that nobody is free from making errors of judgement. Mary McAlesse is as prone as anyone to making gaffes as anyone.

Writing a longwinded, self preening, narcissitic letter to the defence of an adult who had sex with a minor is a hell of a lot different from making a comment which I am damn sure an intelligent woman like Mary McAleese, having said it, thought what are you at ya fool. She was doing an interview, David Norris sat down and put a lot of thought into his letter and had to go to the trouble of delivering same. Not comparable.

There is a scale though....slip of the tongue, unfortunate metaphors versus misuse of office in a statutory rape case. The latter, rightly, precludes somebody from running for high office.
    If we are ever going to get uncorrupted fair government then that has to be the way.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    There is a scale though....slip of the tongue, unfortunate metaphors versus misuse of office in a statutory rape case. The latter, rightly, precludes somebody from running for high office.
    If we are ever going to get uncorrupted fair government then that has to be the way.

So back to my original question: should Gay Mitchell be excluded from running for office then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Everyone makes gaffes but D.N. made a very very serious gaffe and paid the price. You cannot make little of sex abuse against minors so the result in this case was the right one.

• Advertisement

So back to my original question: should Gay Mitchell be excluded from running for office then?

No, on the basis that he released his plea at the time and it was in the public domain and therefore any action that needed to be taken should have been taken then to preclude him from running for office of any description.

He definitely has questions to answer, although I fail to see how he was personally going to gain from his letter.
    Perhaps some of our cozy self reverential journos (who should have revealed all this stuff years ago instead of leaving it to a blogger) would maybe do their jobs for once and find out, instead of lecturing us from on high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I don't know how this is relevant, considering David Norris stepped out of the race of his own volition. There was public pressure but the decision was ultimately made by him.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    He definitely has questions to answer, although I fail to see how he was personally going to gain from his letter.

It makes him a hero with the Iona institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Biggins wrote: »
    ...And of course there won't be one fifth the stick about Gay Mitchel's actions either - one is left to draw ones's own conclusions about that too.

Gay Mitchell was doing what MEP's from all over Europe have been doing for years. Speaking out against the use of the death penalty and calling for life imprisonment as opposed to execution. Norris was intervening solely because the man in that case was his ex. Apples and oranges. One is the actions of a public representative of a country and union which consistently argues against the use of the death penalty. The other is a public representative getting involved in a case because it concerned his private life. Any attempt to 'draw conclusions' for how it is treatment screams of a childish tantrum tbh.

I don't know how this is relevant, considering David Norris stepped out of the race of his own volition. There was public pressure but the decision was ultimately made by him.

Good point, I badly worded my post. So, should public pressure be brought on Gay Mitchell to step down from the presidential contest because of his 'abuse of power' in relation to Paul Hill?

prinz wrote: »
    Gay Mitchell was doing what MEP's from all over Europe have been doing for years. Speaking out against the use of the death penalty and calling for life imprisonment as opposed to execution. Norris was intervening solely because the man in that case was his ex. Apples and oranges. One is the actions of a public representative of a country and union which consistently argues against the use of the death penalty. The other is a public representative getting involved in a case because it concerned his private life. Any attempt to 'draw conclusions' for how it is treatment screams of a childish tantrum tbh.

How come Gay Mitchell singled out Paul Hill and not any of the other 64 people executed that year? Because he was an anti-abortionist plain and simple.

Good point, I badly worded my post. So, should public pressure be brought on Gay Mitchell to step down from the presidential contest because of his 'abuse of power' in relation to Paul Hill?

If it's proven...yes.
    If anybody is found to misuse their office for personal gain...the door is the wooden thing in the wall.

No, on the basis that he released his plea at the time and it was in the public domain and therefore any action that needed to be taken should have been taken then to preclude him from running for office of any description.

Total horse manure. The guy defends a double murderer with the same 'abuse of power' that Norris used and you think that's okay?

I suppose this country gets the candidates it deserves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gay Mitchell was doing what MEP's from all over Europe have been doing for years. Speaking out against the use of the death penalty and calling for life imprisonment as opposed to execution.
    Well what some people are asking is why Mitchell intervened in this particular case and no others. Why not the many that precedeed and succeededed this one? And if it's a coincidence that the case he pleaded some clemency in happened to feature a stance against abortion, something he has opposed himself.

• Advertisement

How come Gay Mitchell singled out Paul Hill and not any of the other 64 people executed that year? Because he was an anti-abortionist plain and simple.

Did he? Do we have proof of that? Did he appeal for the death penalty to be waived for anyone else any other year?

ixoy wrote: »
    Well what some people are asking is why Mitchell intervened in this particular case and no others. Why not the many that precedeed and succeededed this one? And if it's a coincidence that the case he pleaded some clemency in happened to feature a stance against abortion, something he has opposed himself.

http://breaking.tcm.ie/ireland/mitchell-condemns-nigerian-death-sentence-64945.html

Seems he gets involved in more than this one case. Do you think that involved headed paper? Did it involve abortion?

ixoy wrote: »

He has some history is opposing the death penalty and has, as far as I know, made similar representations in the past, but obviously not in every single death penalty case.

His choice in picking this guy (who was unrepentant to the end) may be a bit odd, but if we're going to make this into something that should call into question his candidacy, we might as well send the bulldozers up to the park.

There is also the subtle but important point to be made that FG have endorsed this guy, they have examined his record and have nominated him as their candidate. FG obviously have no problems with him writing the letters. Now it is up to us to vote for him or not vote for him.

Norris didn't get that far. He couldn't get 20 TD's to ignore the fact that he wrote the letters. He did the right thing and departed.

Now our 'free' (ha!) press have to do their jobs and scrutinise the remaining candidates fairly. (I won't be holding my breath on that one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Meh, whatever about Mitchell's letter.. he's a bad choice for the role of president imo. He opposed the decriminalisation of homosexuality and more recently the equalisation of age of consent laws and abortion law reforms. He's a politician that bases many of his views on religion. A 1950's style creeping Jesus. Is that what Ireland wants in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Ah lads, stop the presses, we're all saved now that Dana is entering the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

http://breaking.tcm.ie/ireland/mitchell-condemns-nigerian-death-sentence-64945.html

Seems he gets involved in more than this one case. Do you think that involved headed paper? Did it involve abortion?

Ministers and TD's make statements on a lot of things, you're conflating the issues here.

Norris stood down from the race, and rightly so, for writing to a foreign government on seanad headed paper pleading clemency in sentencing.

Mitchell has not stood down for doing the same thing (albeit clemency in a death sentence case).

Ah lads, stop the presses, we're all saved now that Dana is entering the race.

Don't even joke about it:eek:

Jesus - you weren't joking
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/08/03/dana-set-enter-race-president/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dvpower wrote: »
    we might as well send the bulldozers up to the park.

I agree, it should be an option on the ballot paper, if you pick none of the above please vote to remove/dismantle the office of president.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Don't even joke about it:eek:

Jesus - you weren't joking
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/08/03/dana-set-enter-race-president/

Sweet Jesus.....I think we need a posse! :eek:

Advertisement