Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Meh, whatever about Mitchell's letter.. he's a bad choice for the role of president imo. He opposed the decriminalisation of homosexuality and more recently the equalisation of age of consent laws and abortion law reforms. He's a politician that bases many of his views on religion. A 1950's style creeping Jesus. Is that what Ireland wants in 2012?
    He's Dana without the dress on!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dvpower wrote: »
    Don't even joke about it:eek:

Jesus - you weren't joking
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/08/03/dana-set-enter-race-president/

FFS, bring back David, all is forgiven.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ah lads, stop the presses, we're all saved now that Dana is entering the race.
    O GOOD FCUK!

This country is going backwards instead of forwards.
    Chrirst all fcuking mighty!

Thats two extreme religious twats now possibly running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Total horse manure. The guy defends a double murderer with the same 'abuse of power' that Norris used and you think that's okay?

I suppose this country gets the candidates it deserves.

Did he hide it at the time? Was Paul Hill his partner? Did he do it on State letterheads?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

He has some history is opposing the death penalty and has, as far as I know, made similar representations in the past, but obviously not in every single death penalty case.
    I'd be interested to know how many times he's pleaded for it in the US.
    His choice in picking this guy (who was unrepentant to the end) may be a bit odd, but if we're going to make this into something that should call into question his candidacy, we might as well send the bulldozers up to the park.
    Well quite. I think what gets up some people's noses a little is the fact nearly all candidates will, at some point, have made gaffes and they may not see anything close to the thousands of posts we have here. There's a few threads on this here, and on politics.ie about TDs, etc making pleas. I'd need to read up to get more details but people basically want the same rules and standards for everyone.
    As to the specifics of Norris - whether he had good intentions or not, I think his actions show how he is not suitable for office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Don't even joke about it:eek:

Jesus - you weren't joking
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/08/03/dana-set-enter-race-president/

Another one for the holy Joes to support.
    Will someone please turn off the lights on their way out.

mikom wrote: »
    Another one for the holy Joes to support.
    Will someone please turn off the lights on their way out.

Well the "look at me, see how liberal I am" brigade are devestated that Norris has withdrawn and they can't vote for him, surely the opposite spectrum are as entitled to have someone to try and go and represent their views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Excellent! I hope she does get on the ballot; it'll split the conservative Christian vote and take more votes away from Mitchell! :D

Well the "look at me, see how liberal I am" brigade are devestated that Norris has withdrawn and they can't vote for him, surely the opposite spectrum are as entitled to have someone to try and go and represent their views?

That would be the "look at me, see how conservative I am" brigade I presume.
    Not something I'd be shouting about tbh.
    Do conservatives even shout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Did he do it on State letterheads?

How would I know? Strangely enough, I haven't seen the scans of Mitchell's letters they way I have with Norris'...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Someone should drop him an e-mail and ask can they view a copy in the interests of clarity in the presidential race. Fair is fair. Anyone have an e-mail address or does he have a FB page (I ain't signed up).

How would I know? Strangely enough, I haven't seen the scans of Mitchell's letters they way I have with Norris'...
    The Israel forgery section hasn't got round to finishing them yet! ;)
    (They're still working on our passports!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Dana, ffs. Urgh. We could have had an intelligent, articulate, educated and progressive guy in the Aras for the next few years, and now we've got to stick a ribbon on one of this shower.

As much as anything else, I'm angry at Norris for blowing the unique chance this represented for so many people to have a bit of faith in Irish politics for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good Jesus if Dana enters the race i'm going to ring that Hitman for Hire number. I just could not stand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I'm surprised John Hume's name hasn't been mentioned yet isn't he Irelands greatest or something?

All kinds of everything remind me of the godless souls that burn my eyes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Norris stood down from the race, and rightly so, for writing to a foreign government on seanad headed paper pleading clemency in sentencing.

I don't think people really cared about his intervention per se, but rather the nature of his intervention. Both the nature of Nawi's crime, and the personal link between the two men are what concerned people, IMO. That being the case, I don't think that an exact analogy can be drawn between the two instances.

DANA: Just stand back and watch what happens because the prayers of children are so powerful.

(Said shortly before she flew off into the atmosphere and killed Satan in a space battle!)

Meh, whatever about Mitchell's letter.. he's a bad choice for the role of president imo. He opposed the decriminalisation of homosexuality and more recently the equalisation of age of consent laws and abortion law reforms. He's a politician that bases many of his views on religion. A 1950's style creeping Jesus. Is that what Ireland wants in 2012?
    Him or Dana... ?

Shoot me fcuking now!

Sample twitter update:

To show my total disapproval of Dana's candidacy, I plan to vote while wearing a condom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Me too. I haven't worked out the details yet, but I feel very strongly about it.

I think the abject terror at the prospect of President Dana should put paid to the notion that we're just after a "colourful" character.

I think the abject terror at the prospect of President Dana should put paid to the notion that we're just after a "colourful" character.
    Dana runs or (worse) gets in, we can no longer give out about Palin in America!

I'm seriously depressed! We come so forward in modern thinking that still her (and Mitchell's) type of schite has to creep up yet again.
    Bloody depressing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Biggins wrote: »
    Dana runs or (worse) gets in, we can no longer give out about Palin in America!

I'm seriously depressed! We come so forward in modern thinking that still her (and Mitchell's) type of schite has to creep up yet again.
    Bloody depressing. :(

I hope it's their dying battle cry.

Not content with scuppering Norris it now seems the Israelis are looking to get their candidate on the ballot......... Israeli for Irish top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Can we change the rules and get Mary Robinson back? She was like a big mammy for the whole country.

Who would people suggest for candidacy? Maybe if we could come up with a few ideas it might be possible to lobby people into putting themselves forward? If something isn't done there will be a load of spoiled votes, lots of non- voters and an ambassador for our country that people are not happy with at the end of all this :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 deepertheroots

Who's Ireland's greatest euro-skeptic atm? Whoever it is should make a wonderful president in my view.

Who's Ireland's greatest euro-skeptic atm? Whoever it is should make a wonderful president in my view.

An excited Ganley approaches....

Yet you make such vivid comparison with what David Norris has done without actually seeing exactly what Mitchell did at the time.

Can we change the rules and get Mary Robinson back? She was like a big mammy for the whole country.

Who would people suggest for candidacy? Maybe if we could come up with a few ideas it might be possible to lobby people into putting themselves forward? If something isn't done there will be a load of spoiled votes, lots of non- voters and an ambassador for our country that people are not happy with at the end of all this :(.

And have Mammy Robinson head off again before the end of her term when a nice shiny new job comes along? No thanks.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    That would be the "look at me, see how conservative I am" brigade I presume.
    Not something I'd be shouting about tbh.
    Do conservatives even shout?

Because they have beliefs that you don't agree with doesn't make them any less entitled to that opinion, there are many liberals views I believe in and there are many conservative views I believe in.

Advertisement