Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Fionnula wrote: »
    Or perhaps non of the other candidates have been investigated to the same extent.
    It's innocent until proven guilty. Not assumed guilty until investigated and proven innocent.

That aside, even if every other candidate is guilty of something (Not that there is any reason to assume so) that does not make Norris' behaviour any more acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Laisurg wrote: »
    Wow, you'd think David Norris and a bright red bullseye tattooed on his forehead with the amount of things people are digging up about him, I've met the man and i don't think he's a bad guy, he needs to learn though that there are just things that you don't do and opinions that you keep to yourself when you're in politics.

Personally if these are the kinds of opinions he holds I would rather he aired them publicly and didn't keep them to himself so that I would know exactly what I would be voting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No - But he never had my vote in the first place. Micky D for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I have to admit at the moment I'm still in the maybe group.

While I cant condone what david did, it was stupid and irresponsible, I still think he has the potential to be a good president. I do admire the way he has run his campaign, getting out meeting the public and making himself know to people unlike the other candidates, who I can only name 1 of. I have email david norris on his seaned email and tbh my opinion will be based on if i get a reply and what it says

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Another troll, great

People need to cop on and stop sticking the troll stamp on people so quickly.

• Advertisement

twinQuins wrote: »
    But why were such lengths taken to dig this up? And why only in the case of Norris?

I'm not questioning that the information is there but I don't believe for one second that it was dug up because anyone believed it was important: this was slinging mud since the debacle where his comments were misrepresented.

Can we now expect people to go after the other candidates pasts with the same determination?
    Hopefully, yes.

It's best that the people fully know the backgrounds of those who seek to represent them. Imagine if he won the election and this letter was discovered with him in office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

1. Michael D
    2. Mary Davis

Works for me, two best candidates

But why were such lengths taken to dig this up? And why only in the case of Norris?

I'm not questioning that the information is there but I don't believe for one second that it was dug up because anyone believed it was important: this was slinging mud since the debacle where his comments were misrepresented.

Can we now expect people to go after the other candidates pasts with the same determination?

I do wonder why they dug up a letter from 1997, and how they even found out about it.

There are people who seriously didn't want David Norris in office probably before any scandals came about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fionnula

your making out the priests are straight, they raped young boys they are gay, priests joined the church as they had no interest in women, they are gay.

if you dont agree priests be allowed adopt children how can you agree gay people should be allowed.

Were trying to protect kids not put them in clear danger, We all know a lot more in the gay scence we wudnt trust with kids so lets not kid ourselfs here its time to be honest and forget oh i want to give love to a child my rights are more important than a childs. nobody in the community seems to see how sick people feel about this,

Just look at the votes above for DN its sick and whos voting? people know who

I was careful to say 'out of the closet' in respects to the gay and lesbians. Priests molested and raped many young boys which could be considered 'gay'. However, you overlooked that the Catholic church does not admit gay clergy. Nor can you consider a priest molesting or raping to be anything short of pedophilia and not gay. Having sex with a minor regardless of sexual orientation is wrong and should not be lumped together as part of the gay community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

If you have skeletons in the closet or strange views on sensitive subjects then a presidential election is the last place to put oneself.

I think this exposes the problem with the Seanad, the vast majority of the people in this country do not get a chance to vote for whom we have in the Seanad.
    There is none of the debate among Seanad candidates compared to the general election to the Dáil.
    David Norris got over a third of the votes from the TCD constituency in the last election, I am sure he was not questioned on anything controversial as Trinity likes to elect controversial people, however in the Presidential election he has for the first time come out of the Seanad bubble to face the ordinary people of Ireland. The questions are being asked, his past is being examined and as a person suitable for public office, he is coming up short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

I believe this is the second time David Norris has defended the sexual abuse of young men. In the meantime, I do not have a favorite - maybe the guy from Dragon's Den?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

northkildare banned,

Any hint of trollin will see you banned.

Please report posts, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Having sex with a minor regardless of sexual orientation is wrong and should not be lumped together as part of the gay community.

Correct and I don't want a wannabe president who wrote letters supporting people who did this representing me.

Where have the Norris sigs gone? :D
    Can't blame the Daily Mail anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mikemac wrote: »
    Where have the Norris sigs gone? :D

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Where's the 'I'm not voting at all' option?

I was careful to say 'out of the closet' in respects to the gay and lesbians. Priests molested and raped many young boys which could be considered 'gay'. However, you overlooked that the Catholic church does not admit gay clergy. Nor can you consider a priest molesting or raping to be anything short of pedophilia and not gay. Having sex with a minor regardless of sexual orientation is wrong and should not be lumped together as part of the gay community.

It has been in the past few years that the church declared that gay men cannot become clergy. The church doesn't have a problem with gay people but having sex among same sex is viewed as wrong but then so is pre-marital sex in heterosexuality.
    This ban came about after a study of the abuse cases that the church was dealing with, it was found that over 80% of abuse cases were found to be of hebephilia - a sexual attraction to young teenage boys.
    The minority of cases were that of actual paedophilia - abuse of a child 12 years and younger.
    As you say having sex with a minor whatever orientation is wrong. It may be seen as being discrimination aginst gay men by banning gay priests but in the view of the church this will help to solve the problem of hebephilia along with other child safety measures..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fionnula

realies wrote: »
    Correct and I don't want a wannabe president who wrote letters supporting people who did this representing me.

What Norris did was irresponsible and stupid. I would not be so quick to jump bandwagons though when there is nobody with such determination investigating the other candidates. Perhaps the public will never know some of the idiotic decisions they have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

odnauq wrote: »
    I believe this is the second time David Norris has defended the sexual abuse of young men. In the meantime, I do not have a favorite - maybe the guy from Dragon's Den?

The guy from the Dragon's Den (Sean Gallagher) used to be in Fianna Fáil and left after they lost power. IMO, he's only looking for the position to forward his own vested interests in business.

Personally, I'll be voting for Mary Davis as she does seem to be quite non-partisan and has done a lot of good work for disabled people and with the Special Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Hopefully, yes.

It's best that the people fully know the backgrounds of those who seek to represent them. Imagine if he won the election and this letter was discovered with him in office?

I understand and I support having information about political dealings brought to the fore (mostly because it exposes any potential conflicts of interest, legal, economic or otherwise) but it galls me to think that the motivations of those who found this information do no appear to be in any way altruistic.

I hate to blame homophobia but why is it only when the election campaign started? Why only Norris? Why so conveniently make allegations that go along the old line of linking homosexuality and paedophilia (wrt the McGill interview)?

If this was done as part of a wider campaign to investigate all candidates I could understand but from where I'm sitting it looks like Norris has been singled out.
    mikemac wrote: »
    Where have the Norris sigs gone? biggrin.gif
    realies wrote: »
    biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Ah, such schadenfreude. Stay classy!

• Advertisement

I read on twitter that Joe Jackson was on radio1 at one today, and he claimed that there were more revelations to come.
    How true of more revelations I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What Norris did was irresponsible and stupid. I would not be so quick to jump bandwagons though when there is nobody with such determination investigating the other candidates. Perhaps the public will never know some of the idiotic decisions they have made.

There's been a bit of mud slinging in the Daily Fail about Gay Mitchell

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015630/Gay-Mitchell-Controversial-views-lavish-junkets-notorious-gangster-cousin.html

Imagine the foreign media comments if he was president, cousin of one of Ireland's most notorious criminals.

The guy from the Dragon's Den (Sean Gallagher) used to be in Fianna Fáil and left after they lost power. IMO, he's only looking for the position to forward his own vested interests in business.

Personally, I'll be voting for Mary Davis as she doesn't seem to be quite non-partisan and has done a lot of good work for disabled people and with the Special Olympics.

I am waiting to see who is running, can't say I am enthused by any of the current and possible candidates.

If this was done as part of a wider campaign to investigate all candidates I could understand but from where I'm sitting it looks like Norris has been singled out.

The front runner attracts the attention.
    Mary Robinson received nasty comments, Brian Lenihan Senior was attacked over multiple issues while Dana was ridiculed.

If Norris was a TD we'd know all this years ago and Dáil elections are tough and cut throat.
    How many tough interviews and hard questions did he face for his TCD seat? I'm guessing none, he just strolled into his comfy seat in the Seanad.

Michael D has been through tough elections, if he had skeletons to hide then Frank Fahy, Eamonn O'Cúiv and the other Galwegians would have used them already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

There's been a bit of mud slinging in the Daily Fail about Gay Mitchell

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015630/Gay-Mitchell-Controversial-views-lavish-junkets-notorious-gangster-cousin.html

Imagine the foreign media comments if he was president, cousin of one of Ireland's most notorious criminals.

Wouldn't vote for Mitchell anyway, we don't need more political dynasties in power.

odnauq wrote: »

Oh christ i'm leaving the country if he gets elected :o

I understand and I support having information about political dealings brought to the fore (mostly because it exposes any potential conflicts of interest, legal, economic or otherwise) but it galls me to think that the motivations of those who found this information do no appear to be in any way altruistic.

I hate to blame homophobia but why is it only when the election campaign started? Why only Norris? Why so conveniently make allegations that go along the old line of linking homosexuality and paedophilia (wrt the McGill interview)?

Even if that is the case, he has no one to blame but himself. It could be just the case that none of the other candidates have anything suspect in their character worthy of investigation. Journalists love a controversial story and you can be sure that if a similar letter was discovered to have been written by any other public figure they would be on to it straight away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

While I hate to say it, they wouldn't have any allegations to make if Norris did not do the things they are saying he did. You can place some blame on those making the accusations, but if Norris didn't do those things, then there'd have been little to worry about.

It's what makes me the most annoyed; not that Norris did the things he did, but that he's played right into the homophobic cliche of there being a link between homosexuality and paedophilia, which sets gay rights back so drastically....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

DN so far has 18 votes above, Many of us stand by him, We dont complain about what straight people do so dont see why when a gay man like david has normal point of veiw he gets run over,

Many in our community still support him all the way, nobody can point out what already happens on the scene anyway regardless. try going to our clubs and see for yourself what david means and maybe youl have a better understanding

This is the worst reason to choose a presidential candidate ive ever seen , this is my biggest problem with what seems to be a majority of norris supporters , voting for or against him because of his sexuality is a terrible way to choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Laisurg wrote: »
    People need to cop on and stop sticking the troll stamp on people so quickly.

Three posters, all brand new, first ever posts are in here defending David Norris. If it looks like a duck....

Advertisement