Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have to say I really miss the Norris sigs, it was handy to have an easy visual aid to filter the posts that were and weren't worth reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

amacachi wrote: »
    Have to say I really miss the Norris sigs, it was handy to have an easy visual aid to filter the posts that were and weren't worth reading.
    Hope you like my updated one! ;):D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Caulego

Of course the truth should be public and accept that Norris is no longer a likely President but am not without hope that "biblical" justice will visit Israeli fundamentalists eventually

By the looks of it 'biblical justice' has been at the root of many of the problems here in Ireland: domga backed up with arrogance and blind acceptance that those in power could do what they liked, regardless of any civil and democratic process. The fact that Norris used headed Seanad paper, therefore using the symbols of State to further his pleadings to make a personal representation on behalf of his ex-boyfriend is just another poof of that same mentality, simply under another guise. Nothing changes really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/FOJ/2009/05/20/00004.asp

Not sure what this means..... It's off his fb page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm too very disappointed by his actions, lately and in earlier years as now details have emerged.
    I too would have loved to see a person like I originally thought, was and could have been a great asset to our nation.
    I'm lost for voting direction now and as yet see no further advantageous person for our state, to take up the mantle.

So much for yet another fair-weather supporter. The campaign doesn't need or want the "support" of turncoats like yourself. When this dies down David will be back stronger than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

keanooo wrote: »
    So much for yet another fair-weather supporter. The campaign doesn't need or want the "support" of turncoats like yourself. When this dies down David will be back stronger than ever.
    This isn't football. "Fair-weather supporters" as you call them are those who don't blindly support people regardless of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So intervening on behalf of a child abuser is o.k. then is it ?
    We should all just turn a blind eye to it as it was done by a gay person and not a t.d.or clergyman is that it ?
    A person who changes their mind because they are genuinely shocked or maybe even disgusted is a "turncoat" in your wee world. Shocking.

I still hope he gets his name on the ballot paper - if only for the whole public to get to say how they might vote on a wider spectrum.

As for lashing out at anyone that might have doubts to a candidate, look to blame from its source, not from the persons supporters whom they might have let down very badly.
    If he somehow manages to show there is some errors in judgement made by others, I'd hope to see him standing tall in success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I was going to respond to this guys comment and then remebered this was the same guy who started this thread.;)

This isn't football. "Fair-weather supporters" as you call them are those who don't blindly support people regardless of their actions.

David is the same person he was before the letters became public knowledge as he is after. He hasn't magically turned into a beast over-night. I wish the likes of Biggins would think of this before jumping ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

David is the same person he was before the letters became public knowledge as he is after. He hasn't magically turned into a beast over-night. I wish the likes of Biggins would think of this before jumping ship.

But he was obviously not the same person a lot of people thought he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Exactly the same person, the difference now is a lot of the blind followers have began to see, and they see the person he has been all along and they don't like it. Good to see you have finally realised whats happening and why he is losing support.

Exactly the same person, the difference now is a lot of the blind followers have began to see, and they see the person he has been all along and they don't like it. Good to see you have finally realised whats happening and why he is losing support.

"To change your mind and to follow him who sets you right is to be nonetheless the free agent that you were before."

Marcus Aurelius (121-180) Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

I still hope he gets his name on the ballot paper - if only for the whole public to get to say how they might vote on a wider spectrum.

what is with this?

Do you also hope Dana, Declan Ganley and that Mulqueen guy get on the ballot?

He's not fit to be on the ballot.

If some fat, red faced GAA type had a charity giving scholarships to young girls in Thailand and was caught rogering them everyone would see it for what it was. However when a poet (O Searcaigh) does something similar Norris goes all out to defend him.

I would never vote for him as I think the president should be like the President of Germany - i.e. a defender of the constitution. He's a creepy preening narcissist - I'm sure I'll be accused of being a homophobe for that.

what is with this?

Do you also hope Dana, Declan Ganley and that Mulqueen guy get on the ballot?

Why not in total fairness to all?
    I might disagree with matters which some of the three speak of but at least some here have the education and understanding to acknowledge that the WHOLE public should be allowed have a say, rather than just one side, one division or indeed just those of a quiet chatting forum.

Let all stand in front of the jury called the nations people, and let them all say in fairness how they would render their decision.

"To change your mind and to follow him who sets you right is to be nonetheless the free agent that you were before."

Marcus Aurelius (121-180) Rome.

As the Liverpool-turned-United supporter said...

Whatever about changing your mind, I would have thought that it behoves people who claim to be his supporters to postpone judgement until we have fully heard David's side of the story. He hasn't even given an interview since the allegations broke.

Whatever about changing your mind, I would have thought that it behoves people who claim to be his supporters to postpone judgement until we have fully heard David's side of the story. He hasn't even given an interview since the allegations broke.
    I was going to respond to this guys comment and then remebered this was the same guy who started this thread.;)

There's no more to be said pablomakaveli - your right. :)

Where there is understanding no comment is needed, but where there's no understanding no amount of argument is convincing.

One more for the ignore function.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

Why not in total fairness to all?
    I might disagree with matters which some of the three speak of but at least some here have the education and understanding to acknowledge that the WHOLE public should be allowed have a say, rather than just one side, one division or indeed just those of a quiet chatting forum.

Let all stand in front of the jury called the nations people, and let them all say in fairness how they would render their decision.

ever occur to you that those who wrote the constitution wanted to ensure there were no turkeys on the ballot?

if the keyboard warriors who are so exercised with getting him on the ballot participated as actively in the last local and Dail elections then their man would be on the ballot.

He's had a platform for too long due to his being elected in rotten borough that is University of Dublin, Trinity College. The Seanad will be abolished soon and he can go back to where be belongs.

Which speaks volumes in itself

ever occur to you that those who wrote the constitution wanted to ensure there were no turkeys on the ballot?

if the keyboard warriors who are so exercised with getting him on the ballot participated as actively in the last local and Dail elections then their man would be on the ballot.

He's had a platform for too long due to his being elected in rotten borough that is University of Dublin, Trinity College. The Seanad will be abolished soon and he can go back to where be belongs.

A fair comment based on possible facts, not just poor temperament as begets others possibly.

I, myself cannot say what was on the minds of those that wrote the constitution (I don't have available knowledge or material to offer adjudication on that) but I hope they wrote it so that the whole nation could be allowed assess what ever is laid out before them and thus allow them to decide individually on their hearts and minds and reach a conclusion.
    In this particular case, by their eventual rendered vote.

Again, I can't (and shouldn't) comment on the "rotten borough that is University of Dublin, Trinity College" for I know little or nothing to which you might know more of, in fair respect to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I voted "maybe" in the poll but in reality I don't think I could vote for Norris now. I still supported him after the Helen Lucy Burke thing because that was a complete non-story ridiculously blown out of proportion by people out to get him. This case, however, is much more serious; sending a letter in his role as senator to try and appeal for leniency for a man convicted of statutory rape isn't excusable or justifiable.

I still admire him for the work he's done for civil rights in this country and I don't believe he's a bad person. I guess he just allowed his feelings for Mr. Nawi cloud his judgement and do the wrong thing.

Of the remaining candidates, Michael D. Higgins would be my preferred choice. Above all else I hope Gay "Christian Democrat" Mitchell doesn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

everybody is just witch hunting ! i am so upset he will prob not make to the paper now.... lets just keep going and try our best ! Norris I love you

• Registered Users Posts: 29 carlos D

eimear10 wrote: »
    everybody is just witch hunting ! i am so upset he will prob not make to the paper now.... lets just keep going and try our best ! Norris I love you

Witch hunting?Did he or did he not say and do all of these things. It's about holding a candidate up to the same standard as everyone else and not beng intimidated by those who claim that all who oppose him are homophobic. If a straight man did and said the same things as David Norris I'd be disgusted, so why should anyone give him a free pass because he pretends to be harmless teddy bear.

I voted "maybe" in the poll but in reality I don't think I could vote for Norris now. I still supported him after the Helen Lucy Burke thing because that was a complete non-story ridiculously blown out of proportion by people out to get him. This case, however, is much more serious; sending a letter in his role as senator to try and appeal for leniency for a man convicted of statutory rape isn't excusable or justifiable.

I still admire him for the work he's done for civil rights in this country and I don't believe he's a bad person. I guess he just allowed his feelings for Mr. Nawi cloud his judgement and do the wrong thing.

Of the remaining candidates, Michael D. Higgins would be my preferred choice. Above all else I hope Gay "Christian Democrat" Mitchell doesn't win.

Would you not think that in light of the revelations of his plea for clemency for a man cnovicted of statutory rape that the HLB issue has a lot more credence because of the suggested inferences that can be garnered from both matters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Caulego

flyaway. wrote: »
    On all ''Norris for President'' Facebook groups they're blaming homophobia for people being angry about this. Really? They don't think people would feel the same way if it was a straight man who wrote that letter? :confused:

I don't know why they can't just admit that Norris did something wrong instead of saying we're all homophobic. How does that even make sense to them? People were going to vote for him but now they're not. They hardly all turned homophobic over night.

Aaah......don't you just love the semantics when someone says something about the dubious conduct of someone who happens to be 'gay'? It's typical of the bullying mentality of people who simply don't know what they are saying, but prefer to use ad hominem attacks to try to reinforce their own latent bias by way of emotive duress. A 'phobia' is a mental illness, described as being 'an irrational aversion or fear of something', where there is no reasoned or objective cause for the view that something should be regarded with fear or potential for harm.
    For example, a child may have a justified fear of a certain person who bullies them in school, but that is not a phobia, as it relates to actual experience. Being afraid of but never actually having being bitten by a toothless dog who is blind and has two legs would be irrational, and therefore may be justifiably classed a phobia. Therefore, not liking someone because of their mental outlook, their opinions, the colour of their shoes or dress, their way of doing things that conflict with one's personal likes or sense of morality, is an opinion, and is not a 'phobia'.
    Furthermore, the Irish Constitution, biased as it may be with all its anachronistic paraphernalia, does allow for and ensures freedom of expression, link , so therefore anyone using coercion on anyone to accept things that they personally dislike or object to, are violating the Constitution itself, which is punishable by law. Therefore, I, like every other Irish citizen, am entitled to my opinion, period; but how many Irish citizens know of the protection the Constitution affords them? Very few it seems, but ignorance is a wilful choice, and so we lose out by following blind and populist ideas that are based on hearsay and lack of knowledge, just because we can't be bothered to find out the facts. Stupid is as stupid does, so maybe this could be a good time for the Irish people to take a good look at the entire spectrum of assumptions that allegedly passes for 'truth', which is paramount to the acquisition of justice, and maybe we might just be able to peer over the limited horizons of the collective sheepfold that both Church and State have so thoughtfully built for us? Or maybe we simply can't be bothered to know, and turn a blind eye and say “The wind blows not about my house”. Maybe you can't hear it today, but one day we will, and what will we have to protect us then? We can know better, but that would mean that we give up our blind beliefs in the 'it's-all-rosy-in-the-garden' outlook, and we don't want to be lose 'faith' in our beliefs, do we? Maybe we deserve nothing better? What do you think?

If my or anyone else's opinion involves the reasoned questioning of the thinking of a 'gay' politician who uses the faculties and powers of the State afforded to him by his office, which we all pay for through our taxes, to support an ex-lover who has been convicted of statutory rape of a minor, then I am rightly entitled to question that action, without being insulted by those who wish to selectively use emotive and derogatory language to make me look like a 'bad person' for asking. Does this mentality sound at all familiar? No bells ringing yet?
    This same principle also applies when people claim that their notions of religious (make believe) 'laws' supersede my legal and rightful ability to question or refute propositions that are made so as to try and convince me that their opinions are more valid than mine, without giving reasoned and logical support for their opinion. I have no problem with accepting factual and accurate truths, reasoned viewpoints, logical thinking, but I do have a problem when I am asked to bend to faulted and unsound application of clichéd and populist sound-bites such as 'racist' and 'homophobe' that seek to compromise my ability to arrive at correctly formed conclusions.

So, when the bullies and users of contradiction throw words like 'homophobe' at you when you don't like the behaviour of a gay person, just ask them what medical qualification they have to allow them make a diagnosis of mental illness. It will soon stop them in their tracks, as they won't be able to back it up with anything approaching a fact, as facts don't suit believers in self-opinion.
    Very often, the people who throw out such insults and non-factual slurs are not very bright themselves, and are simply using a form of emotionally derived, self-centred righteousness, to make themselves look better than the person questioning the issue. If eating babies became popular they would create some similarly nonsensical label to bully their way into suggesting you were being unreasonable for questioning it.
    The same goes for slurs like 'racist', if a question is asked when a coloured person does something wrong, as though they are exempt from being a wrongdoer simply because of their skin colour. Our country is awash, some might say 'sinking', in a sea of nonsensical, 'politically correct' bull****, which is in effect a form of covert censorship, and we have addled our thinking to such a degree by unquestioned nonsense and semantics that we can no longer see the wood from the trees. Then again, this is only my 'opinion', and not a 'phobia', but at least for now, I am availing of my legal right to hold it, as many good men and women fought long and hard against those who would see such rights trampled underfoot for their own selfish and perverse objectives.

Thanks Caulego, for reducing the text size. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Woopsadaisy!

Good Lord Caulego

Good Lord Caulego

We might find something to disagree with upon analysis, but heavens, what a meaty, mighty post! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Lustrum wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on where the letter was leaked from? After all, someone has known about this letter for the last 19 years, but said nothing about it - in my mind that's as bad as writing the letter in the first place

Strange mind you have.

Letter was dated 1997, which is 14 years ago.
    Why the attempt to make it seem longer?

Advertisement