Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheque made out to cash?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

I was given a small cheque that was made out to cash a while back and when it was lodged in to ptsb,they said they did not lodge cheques made out to cash anymore.I didnt bother going to my CU or anyone else with it and got the person to make another one out to me.It used to be common to cash cheques like this in banks,pubs and shops,is that all stopped now?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

There should be no reson a bank would refuse to lodge it. I'd demand an explanation.

Most places will not cash it unless they know you really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

There should be no reson a bank would refuse to lodge it. I'd demand an explanation.

Most places will not cash it unless they know you really well.
    Thanks for reply,was lodging it,could understand if i was looking to cash it straight away.She told my wife that they dont do it and as far as she knows no other bank handles cheques made out to cash.Was just wondering if this is true,when did it come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

No. You can lodge it to your own account or any body's account as long as it's endorsed correctly.

It can only be cashed at the bank branch on the chq.

All banks sould take that sort of chq.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

You could always throw it in a quicklodge envelope with your name and account number on the back. I've had issues where counter staff have said I couldn't lodge a particular cheque to an account (cheque in husband's name to joint account in his name and mine) so I did a quicklodge and the money was there the next day. In my experience counter staff don't always give the correct info so ring customer service and ask them.

Advertisement