Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New machine - Where to look

• 31-07-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

After pretty much breaking my bike and every component on it I need to start looking for a replacement.

Old bike was a Felt F4 SL 2009 which i got summer before last,

unfortunately it now looks like this
    01012010071.jpg

Anyway, since i last got my bike ive paid no attention to new bikes that are around and new suppliers etc. Budget is around 2000 give or take, so if anyone has any suggestions as to where i can be looking to get the best value etc.

Ive checked out some bikes at planet X which are good and bianchi.
    Also, will the 2012 range be coming out soon? causing a few discounts on the 2011 ranges? I got my 2009 felt at a heavy discount at the time due to the 2010 models coming out.

Thanks for the help
    Níall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

What the hell happened to the Felt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Ouch - hope whatever did the damage to the machine was easier on the rider!

Def give the Canyon road framesets a look at - they're pretty good value for money and seem to get well reviewed everywhere they pop up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Why are you wasting money on a new bike? That one is still held together by the chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

RPL1 wrote: »
    What the hell happened to the Felt?

I gave a bit of detail of the accident in the broomwagon topic the other day if you want to check it out.

@CheGuedara
    The Canyons look very nice alright, CF 8.0 especially is good value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you're in Cork (city centre) you'd be welcome to have a look at my Canyon. They can only be bought directly so you wouldn't be able to view them in any stores.

• Advertisement

THanks for the offer Lemag i might take you up on that in a few weeks when im able to get back onto a bike.

Out of interest, is it possible to get a high quality steel frame with todays components installed? Or has carbon taken over the market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Out of interest, is it possible to get a high quality steel frame with todays components installed?

There are some nice steel frames.
    For vintage looking there is the Colnago Master X -Light or the De Rosa Neo Primato.

Enigma have some modern looking steel frames and some lovely looking titanium: http://www.enigmabikes.com/bike-list.html

There's the Cinelli Strada which I like but its not really a standout.

There is guerciotti record or this G55. I actually had a G55 briefly but was completely unimpressed. It felt like it was made from Coke cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

You gotta hang that bike somewhere, kinda makes Hoogerland look like a pissy little girl who's chain came off....:)
    Hope the recovery is going well!
    Kuota's seem very popular in the local pelotons this year

Still considering possibly buying a new steel frame and fork. Has anyone done so?
    Im worried about getting parts to fit the frame though. http://www.torelli.com have some lovely frames but I still have to do alot of thinking and research.

On another note, got my insurance back on the felt so i have funds for my new bike and the recorvery is going very well so i should be back in the saddle in a few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Still considering possibly buying a new steel frame and fork. Has anyone done so?
    Im worried about getting parts to fit the frame though. http://www.torelli.com have some lovely frames but I still have to do alot of thinking and research.

On another note, got my insurance back on the felt so i have funds for my new bike and the recorvery is going very well so i should be back in the saddle in a few weeks!

Good to hear you're recovering.

That Torelli site has US contact details and dollar pricing. What's that about?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Good to hear you're recovering.

That Torelli site has US contact details and dollar pricing. What's that about?

Yea the dealers are all in US also. I have emailed them asking about suppliers in europe (with them being itialian you would imagine so at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

glad u are recovering well, you were v lucky.

Just a question - slightly off topic. I cycle those roads alot and often wonder what would happen if i crashed into a car like you did.

Do you think the driver might/will come after you and sue? especially considering the shock etc she seemed to have suffered and she was just driving along minding her own business as such. I assume the cycling ireland insurance only covers cycling ireland events or does it cover non club training? Have you spoken to anyone from a legal background just to get the heads up? Not trying to alarm you:eek:

trihead

trihead wrote: »
    glad u are recovering well, you were v lucky.

Just a question - slightly off topic. I cycle those roads alot and often wonder what would happen if i crashed into a car like you did.

Do you think the driver might/will come after you and sue? especially considering the shock etc she seemed to have suffered and she was just driving along minding her own business as such. I assume the cycling ireland insurance only covers cycling ireland events or does it cover non club training? Have you spoken to anyone from a legal background just to get the heads up? Not trying to alarm you:eek:

trihead

I hope not, I have absolutely no idea how things will work for her in terms of insurance and all that. I was talking to a guard and he didnt seem too worried about it, and told me it happens everyday across the country where it was the person on the bikes fault.

Ide rather not talk about this side of things in this topic though if you dont mind just want to keep it on the new machine hunt.

Ive been looking at some planet-x's and a few others with a hope of ordering over the weekend but i keep changing my mind.

I have a few parts of the felt (alot of the groupset can be reused, maybe even the cranks but i will need new chainrings) so ive been thinking i could buy a frame and build up a new bike or just buy a full new bike and take advantage of the group discount. Decisions decisions
    :p

I started up this thread last week. Lots of shops there for you to scour for a bargain. Worked for me. Wiggle are selling this Pinarello FP2 with 105 for £1299.

edit - there's also this sexy titanium Van Nicholas Chinook also with 105 which is available in a 56 in their clearance hanger for €1654.10.

Lemag wrote: »
    I started up this thread last week. Lots of shops there for you to scour for a bargain. Worked for me. Wiggle are selling this Pinarello FP2 with 105 for £1299.

edit - there's also this sexy titanium Van Nicholas Chinook also with 105 which is available in a 56 in their clearance hanger for €1654.10.

That Chinook is lovely! Very good price, hopefully it will not be snapped up before payday its a great option

V. nice.

Lemag wrote: »
    V. nice.

It would want to be with estimated delivery approxs 6weeks! Gutting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I went through a windscreen a few years ago, my fault, I gave my details, made a garda report (they were there anyway and helped with first aid got me an ambulance) and submitted a claim to CI for third party for the poor woman's windscreen. It wasn't an organised event, just me out on a cycle, but they said they would cover it.

If it is your fault you should really be paying for it, even if it comes out of your own pocket, it is not fair if she loses her NCB! I just needed my neck sewn up, I was lucky as to the position that it didn't sever anything important but I do have permanent scars from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

That seat clamp looks like a priest's collar.

• Advertisement

That seat clamp looks like a priest's collar.

Out of the saddle climbing encouragement

blorg wrote: »
    I went through a windscreen a few years ago, my fault, I gave my details, made a garda report (they were there anyway and helped with first aid got me an ambulance) and submitted a claim to CI for third party for the poor woman's windscreen. It wasn't an organised event, just me out on a cycle, but they said they would cover it.

If it is your fault you should really be paying for it, even if it comes out of your own pocket, it is not fair if she loses her NCB! I just needed my neck sewn up, I was lucky as to the position that it didn't sever anything important but I do have permanent scars from it.

Thanks for the input blorg, I am awaiting reply from CI about the same, and contact from the drivers insurance company and things will go from there. Again I would like to state that I dont want to discuss the goings on of the situation on an open forum in the interest of all parties involved.

It is hardly going to be the subject of a big legal dispute, no-one was seriously injured thank god and at the end of the day it is only a windscreen, not the crown jewels.

I just think you need to take responsibility for it, as you broke it... whether CI will pay or not is irrelevant, you are liable, not the woman's insurance. Hopefully CI will cover it but you should really pay out of pocket if they don't.

You have already posted all the details on this "open forum." I get annoyed about drivers causing an accident and then not taking responsibility for the damages, as in another thread ongoing. Same thing with a cyclist.

blorg wrote: »
    It is hardly going to be the subject of a big legal dispute, no-one was seriously injured thank god and at the end of the day it is only a windscreen, not the crown jewels.

I just think you need to take responsibility for it, as you broke it... whether CI will pay or not is irrelevant, you are liable, not the woman's insurance. Hopefully CI will cover it but you should really pay out of pocket if they don't.

You have already posted all the details on this "open forum." I get annoyed about drivers causing an accident and then not taking responsibility for the damages, as in another thread ongoing. Same thing with a cyclist.

Excuse me?

At what point have I said I was taking no responsibility for it? Or at what point have i said that if CI dont cover it that I wont? You are assuming things that you have absolutely no idea about and have absoultely no reason to be talking about in this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Did you buy a complete bike Dr?
    No parts salvageable from the Felt?

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Did you buy a complete bike Dr?
    No parts salvageable from the Felt?

I did in the end yea, was considering building up from a new frame but took advantage of the full bike discount.

I have stripped the felt since and have a few parts off it. shifters, F&R brakes, rear mech, rear block and pedals. The chain-rings from the crankset are bent and will need to be replaced and the wheels and hubs are a complete mess (alot of the spokes were pulled from the hub which no longer grips them under tension).

I may sell them as parts in a while ide say, or else I might end up wanting to build a "winter" bike which I cant afford to do haha.

Excuse me?

At what point have I said I was taking no responsibility for it? Or at what point have i said that if CI dont cover it that I wont? You are assuming things that you have absolutely no idea about and have absoultely no reason to be talking about in this topic.
    You said:
    As it was myself and my friends fault in hitting the car i presume either us or her insurance will cover it but im not sure, I have cycling Irelance insurance but not sure how much that will cover or anything.
    Which suggests to me that if CI don't cover it you expect her insurance to cover it. I don't see any circumstance in which her insurance should be paying as the accident was your fault.

Apologies if I took this up wrong, and I don't mean to be accusing you personally of evading responsibilty, it was just a general point on taking responsibility (there was another thread where a driver slammed into a cyclist and then tried to avoid paying for repairs.) Hopefully CI will pay and the issue is academic.

Advertisement