Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recomend cable modem to replace crappy UPC?

• 31-07-2011 2:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Got a 25MB thing going on, but the modem is crap....no range, wireless signal won't reach upstairs. Think the one UPC supply is pretty cack...anyone recomend a better modem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What router do you have??
    Do you have a cable modem and router or is it one combined
    router/cable modem
    You c.ant actually use a differetnt cable modem than the one upc provide as it has to be set up and provisioned for their networek on the WAN side (wide area network)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Given that you can't replace the modem, you're not going to get many recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume he means wifi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

If you want to get a different router you will have to either get UPC to replace your wireless router/modem with a wired one then add your own cable router (NOT a combined router/DSL modem). This would be the easiest to set up. If UPC won't do this you'll have to follow the directions in this post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

As to the best router a linksys WRT54G (bought on adverts.ie) mainly because it runs a custom firmware Tomato that has lots of cool features eg you can turn up the transmit power to boost range, bandwidth monitoring etc etc. It's been rock solid since I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

digitaldr wrote: »
    If you want to get a different router you will have to either get UPC to replace your wireless router/modem with a wired one then add your own cable router (NOT a combined router/DSL modem). This would be the easiest to set up. If UPC won't do this you'll have to follow the directions in this post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

As to the best router a linksys WRT54G (bought on adverts.ie) mainly because it runs a custom firmware Tomato that has lots of cool features eg you can turn up the transmit power to boost range, bandwidth monitoring etc etc. It's been rock solid since I got it.

On the 25mb package, I assume the OP has the Cisco EPC2425.
    The link is just for the Thomson modem supplied with the higher packages.

OP, theres a sticky on the EPC2425 in this forum, check that out. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement