Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended reading on the West Cork system

• 31-07-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

So I'm not really a train spotter, but I have grown up literally in the fading shadow of the West Cork Railway line and 2 of its branches (Courtmacsherry & Kinsale), i've done a bit of snooping along the line between the Viaduct & Bandon, and the Kinsale branch using the old OSi maps. And of course I've used some of the online resources like the RPSI journals and eiretrains.

When i walk into bookshops round Wesht Cork there appears to be plenty of books on the topic, but can anyone recommend a definitive account on the line itself and/or on the history of Railways in Cork?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway by Ernest Sheperd (Ian Allan) 2005 (ISBN: 1857801989 )

51J1GQNK59L._SL500_AA300_.jpg&sa=X&ei=-Xg1TrKHEtKZhQfi-_TpCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEhd_Ou0iCgrgTxNiO3uWsJ03sdrg

The only other books that cover the West Cork system were produced by the late Colm Creedon - in very limited numbers - and they are not the most organised of tomes but packed with information.

The late Colm Creedon, railway enthusiast and transport historian, dedicated a lifetime to researching the history of railways, particularly in County Cork, and published a number of books on the subject. These include The Cork and Macroom Direct Railway, Cork City's Railway Stations, three volumes of The Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway, and The Cork, Blackrock and Passage Railway. His detailed and thorough documentation of former railways in County Cork has preserved valuable information and recollections for future generations.
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/transport/the-cork-and-youghal-rail/

Advertisement