Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP! Right handed but left eye dominant, how to aim?

• 31-07-2011 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I really hope some of you can help me out with a little advice because I've got very little idea of what to do considering what I just found out.

I've been playing for some time now and while I have been improving a little recently, mainly due I believe to now daily practice, my darts reamain inconsistent and often drift into the 5 and the 1. Overall my averages are pretty low and despite some small progress they probably really don't vary all that much.

I know that old story has been told many times but here's the real problem, I'm right handed and just discovered that I'm left eye dominant. Everything I read says that you need to aim by holding the dart under / in line with you dominant eye but how can I do that now?

Having done some reading up on the subject, it seems that one thing I could do is change my standing position at the oche. I tried standing more to the right so that my left eye is in line with the centre of the board but have not yet practiced enough in that position to know whether or not it will help (bearing in mind that while doing this, the dart was of course still lined up more with my right eye than my dominant left eye).

I even considered throwing left handed just so I can line the dart up under my left eye but it feels unnatural to throw with my left arm and I doubt I could ever adjust to it.

Honestly, to discover this now, I feel a bit gutted because it makes me think that any work I've put in so far could have possibly negatively affected my game in the sense that I know now that I am having to go and make some major adjutments and 'unlearn' my old technique. It never occured to me that I might be left eye dominant before today so this has come as a bit of a shock to me really.

Only one thing I read today gave me some hope, apparantly Taylor is left eye dominant (don't know if that's true) so I guess it can be overcome but how?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

phil taylor is right handed but left eye dominant so its certainly not a problem. in fact i'd say it could be a bonus as your dart is not gettin in the way of your line of focus on the treble.

Aim and throw however your comfortable is the only advice anyone can give you, i wouldn't worry too much about the science. Id say lots of great players are but they just don't know. I certainly wouldn't line my hand up with my left eye as the body and arm would be all over the place and the mechanics couldn't be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Try leaning your head slightly to the side and keep throwing same way as you did before.

Look at shape of wes newton's neck/head when he throws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Change nothing. Just throw and aim as it comes naturally to you. The very first time that you picked up a dart and let it go is the way you throw. Your throw, stance and rhythm change over the years in small ways because you change as a person.

At the minute you are thinking about your game WAY to much and not letting it happen naturally. I don't mean to be harsh but if you are going to improve your standard you will either improve gradually or you wont.

Here's one for you, when i was able to play, i am left handed, i throw with my right hand, I'm left eye dominant and i have very little sight in my right eye.

I was fairly successful when i played too.

keep your chin up and keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Thanks for your advice to all of the above. I guess I just panicked a bit when I read about the eye dominance thing but having read up a bit more about it, it doesn't seem to be so much of an issue after all.

It's true to say that I have been thinking about my game too much and it's something I need to avoid doing because it's counter-productive when what I should be doing is just relaxing a little more and throwing naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Devastator wrote: »
    Try leaning your head slightly to the side and keep throwing same way as you did before.

This is your best advice. I am severely left eye dominant and this is exactly the way I throw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement