Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing/Midwifery

• 31-07-2011 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Just a question I thought I'd ask here .
    Nurses in the UK get a bursary over 4 years to help them along during their placements.
    Do nurses studying here get anything at all apart from the grant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Nope I'm studying midwifery and we don't get anything! Just travel allowance if we are placed outside our base hospital and even that is very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

Currently 4th year nurses get paid for their internship, this used to be 80% of a qualified nurses starting wage for the year. In 2008/2009 the internship was cut down from one year to nine months paid. 2010/2011 the rate of pay was reduced to 76% and is to be scaled down and phased out over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

MissElle wrote: »
    Nope I'm studying midwifery and we don't get anything! Just travel allowance if we are placed outside our base hospital and even that is very small.

How are you finding the course? What college are you in? Just interested because ive applied for midwifery in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Vodkat wrote: »
    How are you finding the course? What college are you in? Just interested because ive applied for midwifery in Galway.

I'm heading into third year in Trinity :) I really love the course but I find it pretty tough trying to manage placements/assignments/work etc. But it's worth it if its what you really want to do :)

Advertisement