Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural weedkiller alternative

Options
  • 31-07-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience with natural weedkillers? I have dogs so cant use the chemical filled stuff. Ive heard of vinegar being used so just wondering if it works and if not, what does?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Pouring boiling water on at night kills them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Amateurish

For docks in lawns some salt works well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

I heard on the radio that bicarb sprinkled on them helps too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

Here is a link to an Irish organic weedkiller that is on the market.
    http://owk.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Amateurish wrote: »
    For docks in lawns some salt works well too.

Can confirm this also, this is what we do at home. Basically if you pull the head off them and expose the stem, just pour some salt (don't go mad!!!) on the exposed area and bob's your uncle. We use it mainly on thistles and docks. Slow enough if you have a lot of them but defo works.

If patio area, we do as the other post suggests and pour boiling water on whatever's growing between the joints. It's not as good as peoper weed killer though, from a long lasting point of view but also works well and is defo better to have our dogs licking salt or water than some weedkiller.

Another thing we do on an aside is pull the heads off dandeloins (pissy beds) before they go to seed (fluffy). Do this every evening when they are in season and over the years, you stunt them a lot. The is an epedemic of these yokes around here, going back maybe 5 years and now my lawns are the only one in our area without them. Might get the odd one but nearly every neighbour is riddled with the feckers. I hate them in the lawn and is well worth the effort. The neighbours that didn't see me pull the heads always ask what I used to kill them. Good tin of elbow grease and patience goes a long way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Thanks folks, very helpful. Gonna give it the salt a go later on. If I may squeeze a bit more knowledge from you, does the salt/boiling water work on nettles too?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

**Vai** wrote: »
    Thanks folks, very helpful. Gonna give it the salt a go later on. If I may squeeze a bit more knowledge from you, does the salt/boiling water work on nettles too?

Never tried that to be honest but don't see why not. Won't do any harm anyway. I normally just cut them and stick in a canvas sack in a barrell to make plant food, never thought of killing them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theprisoner

1 litre of vinegar (Aldi are selling pickling vinegar on Thursday, this is better as stronger than condiment vinegar).
    90g of salt.
    A good squirt of Washing up liquid, mix well and spray.
    Have used this mixture, very good and fast.
    Only use on paths etc. as tends to sterilise the soil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

alie wrote: »
    Pouring boiling water on at night kills them too.
    i don't think it matters what time of the day that you do this - it tends to kill them anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Never tried that to be honest but don't see why not. Won't do any harm anyway. I normally just cut them and stick in a canvas sack in a barrell to make plant food, never thought of killing them:eek:

Ever since getting stung as a child Ive ONLY thought of killing them ;)

Advertisement