Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a legit Irish Army Helmet on Ebay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the right year any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

thats the old issue one alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yup, thats the real Mccoy.

Item's of uniform annoy me a bit, but it boils my piss when I see our ordnance stolen and sold like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Item's of uniform annoy me a bit, but it boils my piss when I see our ordnance stolen and sold like this.

As its a helmet would it be logs or ord? its a part of PPE, issued with the flakker so would it be called ord then? judges classify Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as a defensive weapon right?

Wonder who'd buy it, horrible to wear

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, its kevlar, and imho just as bad as selling balistic plates or IIIA soft armour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

harmoniums wrote: »
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking, its kevlar, and imho just as bad as selling balistic plates or IIIA soft armour.

What's wrong with selling body armour and plates? Assuming they're not nicked from the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Donny5 wrote: »
    What's wrong with selling body armour and plates? Assuming they're not nicked from the taxpayer.

Nothing wrong with selling body armour and plates here in the US (to non felonious folks) unsure of the law in Ireland/UK.
    Selling a helmet thats state property is illegal though

Donny5 wrote: »

I think he mean's item's of kit issued to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well one of you should buy it and hand it back to QM stores. Are they still in use by the RDF? Really they should be phased out and sold. Issue the new helmet to everyone. It's daft to have two types of helmet in service.

I think I'll buy it to go with my old Eastern Command mark II helmet.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Batch No: 251
    Serial No. 3175

I wonder how accurate the kit issue records are? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Had a helmet stolen on me years ago,was going to report it until I was taken aside and told the replacement cost :eek:.....the circle went on until someone went on their ticket and the Q forgot to take his helmet back.
    Found out later,it was taken to be sold to a collector and I really do regret taking someone else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

E mail E bay or report the seller. That will have the add taken down at the very least.

xflyer wrote: »
    Well one of you should buy it and hand it back to QM stores. Are they still in use by the RDF? Really they should be phased out and sold. Issue the new helmet to everyone. It's daft to have two types of helmet in service.

I think I'll buy it to go with my old Eastern Command mark II helmet.;)
    they are. is the new one lighter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

they are. is the new one lighter?

Not sure if its lighter but its hell of a lot more comfortable and fits much better. Can't stand the old helmets,cuts and digs into you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

that ****in rubber lump in the middle of it used to give me woeful ****ing headaches, the new one , to me, is way better piece of kit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is it even legal to sell it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

dlofnep wrote: »

To get technical, or even truthful(?) no. All issued kit/ordnance etc is property of the governemnt and must be returned to the stores upon leaving the defence forces. Therefore you could say that someone left the DF, didn't return this helmet and gave it to this guy to sell. As a result of this, the seller is handling stolen goods... or something.

Defence Act 1954:
    It is illegal to buy under section 260
    Penalty for purchasing certain military property.

260.—(1) In this section, the expression “military property” means any property being—

(a) any arms, ammunition (including bombs, grenades or similar missiles), equipment, instruments or clothing issued for the use of members of the Defence Forces, or

(b) any military decoration of a member of the Defence Forces, or
    (c) any furniture, bedding, blankets, sheets, utensils or stores in military charge, or
    (d) any provisions or forage issued for the use of a member of the Defence Forces or his horse, or
    (e) any horse or vehicle employed in the service of the Defence Forces.

(2) (a) If any person—
    (i) buys, exchanges, takes in pawn, obtains or receives from any person, on any pretence whatsoever, any military property, or
    (ii) solicits or entices any person to sell, exchange, pawn or give away any military property, or
    (iii) assists or acts for any person in selling, exchanging, pawning or making away with any military property,
    such person shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding twenty pounds together with treble the value of any military property of which he has become possessed by means of the offence or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding six months or to both such fine and imprisonment.

And it is also illegal for reservists to sell under section 245
    245.—If any person (being a member or former member of the Reserve Defence Force)—
    (a) designedly makes away with, or sells, pawns or wrongfully destroys or damages, or negligently loses, any article issued to him as a member of the Reserve Defence Force, or
    (b) refuses, on demand made by the Minister or any person acting on behalf of the Minister, to deliver up any such article,
    then,—
    (i) he shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding five pounds,
    (ii) the Court by which he is tried may, whether it convicts him of the offence or not, order him to pay to the Minister the value of the article.

tl:dr version.
    No. :pac:

Those rules are all very well and appropriate. I'm sure most armies have similar rules. Selling your current kit is properly frowned upon. But where's the cut off?

I have a British Mk II helmet which I acquired, painted light green with an Eastern command flash. In fact I wore one almost identical while serving in the FCA. As there is no Irish army surplus surely I am in breach of the law? Unless the helmet was sold on as surplus by the army, surely it's stolen even though it's obsolete?

Should I go the nearest barracks and hand it in?

Am I technically in breach of the law? It would seem so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I had a similar question about OG combats. They are no longer on issue(since 2001 IIRC) so can I flog em?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The time the law was enacted they never really thought of those issues I would say.

I am sure they would only enforce it in cases involving current kit still in use by the DF. It would cost to much to amend the law to cut out the older issue stuff.

Has anyone actually heard of any disciplinary cases involving the sale of issued kit?

Oh and that lump of rubber,seriously wtf?! Must have kit when out on the ground: A knife and a big yellow sponge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I reckon his real location could be Ireland as he has a UK shipping address, sneaky b4stard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Has anyone actually heard of any disciplinary cases involving the sale of issued kit?

Yes,a few cases and one being investigated now.

In 27 years only once.

Not sure if its lighter but its hell of a lot more comfortable and fits much better. Can't stand the old helmets,cuts and digs into you.

I hear you. The issue one hurts so much it actually give me blinding headaches. RDF stores only have Medium and that seems to be at LEAST 1 Southern Brigade wide in the RDF.

I have 2 helmets (the issue one and my own British one with a paddyflage cover stretched over it) and only one head. The issue one on courses, the non issue one for everything else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The old pattern helmet tended to be worn with netting as covering, held on with black tape.It was in service well before the new camouflage came into service.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Well the price has gone silly now, €117. Someone wants it badly or wants to replace his badly! It's a mad price considering you can pick up a Brit Mk6a or a US ACH for half that if not less.

Out of curiousity, do RDF members take home their helmets? Just reading constantg's comment seems to imply that?

I do know of an RDF member who had his new style Kevlar with him. But he was unique in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Well the price has gone silly now, €117. Someone wants it badly or wants to replace his badly! It's a mad price considering you can pick up a Brit Mk6a or a US ACH for half that if not less.

Out of curiousity, do RDF members take home their helmets? Just reading constantg's comment seems to imply that?

I do know of an RDF member who had his new style Kevlar with him. But he was unique in many ways.

Could be someone "gazumping" the price to make it unsellable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

if coming off an ex we sometimes take the helmets home but as our unit has regular ordnance inspections, they are never there for long. the majority of our lads kits are on numbered pegs in the CQs "office". when we go on an ex, course or training that requires it, we go to the hole in the wall and call out our peg number and sign out the kit.

saying that some lads have (shock horror) bought their own Level 3A ballistic helmets (similiar to the rabintex PDF one) that they use instead and as these arent issued, they would keep them at home.

• Advertisement

Could be someone "gazumping" the price to make it unsellable.
    Maybe but it being Ebay, if you overbid and don't pay you get marked down and all the guy has to do is offer it to the underbidder.

In any case, all the seller has to do is remove the DPM cover and offer is as Israeli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

With regard to the DF pursuing people for selling kit, it always seems to go in fits and starts. When I was in the FCA in the 80s, combats weren't issued so you were expected to go and buy it off PDF guys, despite the fact that it was illegal.Every single member of the PDF and FCA knew it was wrong but did it anyway. When I entered the PDF, I found that the Q stores people were very willing to pursue you to the ends of the earth to charge you for lost kit, yet the PAs wouldn't do a tap about stolen kit until blatant theft occurred and they had to be seen to do something about it. Later, it wasn't unknown for the PAs to raid certain surplus shops or even attend Saturday morning markets to raid traders dealing in surplus. Somehow, they never seemed to be able to spot carpenters and painters in barracks walking around in combat jackets or quartermasters' kids sporting new issue camo kit in certain housing estates in the Curragh.Funny that.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Well it's sold, €119, a ridiculous price. But worth it, now I can go around pretending to be in the RDF..........................Only joking.

Well it's sold, €119, a ridiculous price. But worth it, now I can go around pretending to be in the RDF..........................Only joking.

THAT's an insane price! Even for a helmet!

I mean ffs i only spent like €30 on my brit one and it doesnt give you blinding headaches when you wear it with peltors!

Advertisement